A Path Beyond - Cold Fusion

zunnie

http://www.apathbeyond.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20965

Chronojam:

[h3]New version of A Path Beyond![/h3]
Okay guys, it's ready for the public! The only problems we've had so far seem to be FDS configuration related, which are readily enough addressed by any server operator. Mirrors will be listed as they become available, and the download rotation will be updated and put in place.

If you intend to be a mirror, and have uploaded already, you can make your links public now-- PM me a link to it for inclusion. If you intend to mirror and do not have it yet, contact me for a link that is NOT to be shared with the public and is just for your use.

[h3]Mirrors[/h3]

Game-Maps.net (USA 100mbit)

Game-Maps.net (Germany 100mbit)

Game-Maps.net (Netherlands 100mbit)

[/b]

The mod is looking nice and I don't care about old graphics. I played it online a few times but I really don't like the gameplay, balance and especially the big maps. Most players I asked here in germany think the same.

An APB with more Renegade styled maps would be much better (for me) but a as long as there are enough others players who like this mod... ;)

• Totem Arts Staff

Yeah, A Path Beyond is definitely one of the most well done mods ever in the C&C community, but unfortunately, I too do not have much patience for their large-style maps. Some of the smaller maps play really nicely, but the gigantic ones are too slow paced for me. I like a map I can travel through in two minutes or less and have early battles with free infantry 30 seconds into the game.

QUOTE (epicelite @ Dec 29 2009, 06:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also how come ever server feels the need to start out with 0 credits?

WTF?

On most map u just have to stand around like an idiot for 5 minutes waiting for the first load from the harv.[/b]

Because APB has a different game flow than Renegade, particularly in regards to income. Economy is supposed to be extremely important, not "lets pool up for mech-meds and tanyas before the first dump arrives and rape the Soviets!".

That is also your second issue, which was addressed in CF. The Ore Trucks are quite a bit faster and the action gets started sooner. ;)
But don't say "have to stand", because there are plenty of things you can do in the maps with the long dump times- like Rifle rush the Ore Truck, pretty much giving you the game if you succeed in destroying it.

But to each his own- APB's slow build-up is well worth it for me.

edit- lol "for it me"

QUOTE (evanb90 @ Dec 29 2009, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because APB has a different game flow than Renegade, particularly in regards to income. Economy is supposed to be extremely important, not "lets pool up for mech-meds and tanyas before the first dump arrives and rape the Soviets!".

That is also your second issue, which was addressed in CF. The Ore Trucks are quite a bit faster and the action gets started sooner. ;)
But don't say "have to stand", because there are plenty of things you can do in the maps with the long dump times- like Rifle rush the Ore Truck, pretty much giving you the game if you succeed in destroying it.

But to each his own- APB's slow build-up is well worth it for me.

edit- lol "for it me"[/b]

1: It only takes like 1 guy to buy a second ore truck and then your team almost instantly has more money then they will ever need, your argument is invalid.
Also in that respect the soviets could pool all of their money to buy a couple mammoth tanks and rape the Tanyas.

2: Most maps are too HUEG and by the time you manage to cross half of it you have your first dump of ore.
The ones that are small enough for a rifle infantry rush on the harvester, good luck actually doing 1200 damage with rifle infantry while the other team is also shooting at you and your ore truck.
Either way, fucking just start everyone with 1000 credits and get the goddamn game moving along.

Also there is the problem where the soviets have no means of transportation for their infantry besides the few maps with helipads they can buy the Chinook, however it is easily destroyed by anything. (if this were truely red alert most ground units would not be able to damage the Chinook unless it was on the ground.)
What happened to that supply truck they were planning to give the commies for 500 credits?

Again the soviets also cant get any vehicle aside from the V2 after the first dump on most maps and V2's are ass because they made it so to aim you have to point the entire fucking vehicle, is it so much to ask to be able to have the turret move horizontally 10 freaking degrees?
The artillery is even worst because it gets pushed back a little after each shot.
Then factor in the famous Renegad lag and...

It is like for ever thing they do right, they do another equally wrong.

Mobile gap generator is fucking awesome though.

I didn't want to get into a drawn out discussion but the pros or cons of APB, but to simply imply it is different, so this is going to be my last post on the matter.

Don't try to tell me how APB flows when I've played the game on a pretty regular basis for three years. On Ridge War, The Woods Today, Shallow Grave and Bunkers, 3 of 4 being "HUEG", there are game-changing strategies that can easily be executed prior to and even shortly after the first dump. (including in 2 of 4, Ore Truck rushes that can and often do succeed)

It is indeed a problem the Soviets lack a rapid infantry transport and the Chinook HAD issues like that before, but not now. Allied AA is much weaker in CF- Rangers aren't going to swat Chinooks out of the sky, and RS actually have a balanced AA weapon now.

As for the Supply Truck, it's actually coming to APB: Gamma, which is the next major release.

Your next two points are the V2 and dump size. First, a fair number of APB maps have $1050 dumps, and second, balance stats and extensive personal experience show that only the worst Soviet teams suffer from the $700 dump. The V2 is also a siege artillery unit, meant to hit buildings first, different from Renegade artillery, which are more like "cardboard tanks" than artillery. As such, it doesn't need horizontal aiming.

(and you don't say V2s are ass after getting hit directly by one :P)

My argument about the V2 is mainly based on the fact that renegade lags like ass, and shit slides around when the ground is not perfectly level. Also nothing has real brakes and wheeled vehicles will continue to move even when your not hitting the gas.

Now if this was not the renegade engine and didn't have these lag issues, the V2 would be perfectly fine, however it is and it's not.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (evanb90 @ Jan 2 2010, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't try to tell me how APB flows when I've played the game on a pretty regular basis for three years. On Ridge War, The Woods Today, Shallow Grave and Bunkers, 3 of 4 being "HUEG", there are game-changing strategies that can easily be executed prior to and even shortly after the first dump. (including in 2 of 4, Ore Truck rushes that can and often do succeed)[/b]

Yeah, one thing that separates Renegade from APB are how powerful the game-changing strategies are. Basically, once the War Factory is destroyed, the game is over (for most maps). If the first Ore Truck isn't able to make it back, game over.
In Renegade, even if one side loses one or two buildings, they can still make a comeback, and imo those comeback games end up being the most fun games i've ever played.

Other than that APB is a great game, can't really be compared to Renegade (I know i just did <_< but I cant say one is 100% better than the other) and is well balanced, team based gameplay, true to Red Alert.

QUOTE (epicelite @ Jan 1 2010, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2: Most maps are too HUEG and by the time you manage to cross half of it you have your first dump of ore.
The ones that are small enough for a rifle infantry rush on the harvester, good luck actually doing 1200 damage with rifle infantry while the other team is also shooting at you and your ore truck.
Either way, fucking just start everyone with 1000 credits and get the goddamn game moving along.[/b]

Most of us APB players play it because we like it's gameplay much more then renegade. I for one find small maps like renegades to be incredibly boring even with all the action going on. While it's true you can't do much before the first dump most of us don't have as much of a problem with that as you seem to.

We had a server that had starting credits once. It failed miserably.