Arty & MRLS suggestion(s)

Adverts

Suggestion set #1 (possibly harder to implement, will need lots of fine-tuning, and I can already hear people whining over their MRLS/Artillery not being a battle tank anymore (even though they weren't intended for that)):

Reduce the turning speed of the Nod Artillery's turret dramatically (down to 8-20% of what it is currently)

To counterbalance this versus the GDI MRLS, reduce the turning speed of the MRLS' rocket bay to match the Artillery's, increase the rocket speed (up around the artillery's speed, I'd guess, but you could also try some speed-up mechanism depending on air time), and remove the homing capabilities of the rockets, and make them fly straight forward only.

Suggestion set #2:

Reduce MRLS/Artillery armor versus tanks, and reduce their damage versus tanks.

Might make them too paper, but then again, they aren't exactly tanks.

Suggestion set #?? (Might be problematic implementing):

Add physics to all tank projectiles, and possibly some to the MRLS' rockets, too.

The developers intend to keep the game mechanics mostly the same as in the original Renegade.

Anyways, your suggestion would make the artillery units into nothing more than sitting ducks, because the game has more of an arcade style than one of realism. Change one thing to a different style of play and then you'd have to change just about everything else.

I do have to agree that the Nod Artillery is way too powerful against armoured targets (tanks).

-It might be fair to either tone down the damage dealt by the artillery shot, or increase the damage dealt by the tanks.

About the MRLS, the homing capability was not there in the original, nor was the turning missile bay.

-It would best to just make the missiles go in a straight line, and keep the missile bay fixed to the vehicle.

Just my thoughts. I'm still loving the game so far! I cant wait to see new structures like the helipad and power plant!

Keep it up!

-Haljackey

QUOTE (haljackey @ Nov 1 2009, 05:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do have to agree that the Nod Artillery is way too powerful against armoured targets (tanks).
-It might be fair to either tone down the damage dealt by the artillery shot, or increase the damage dealt by the tanks.

About the MRLS, the homing capability was not there in the original, nor was the turning missile bay.
-It would best to just make the missiles go in a straight line, and keep the missile bay fixed to the vehicle.

Just my thoughts. I'm still loving the game so far! I cant wait to see new structures like the helipad and power plant!

Keep it up!
-Haljackey[/b]

i'm sorry but i haven't had many artilleries killing my medium tank. Yeah, they pack a punch but have you ever seen real artillery at work? or a real mrls? they might keep their distance but they totally screw your tiny little tank in reality. But thb, the damage done by artillery and mrls is different in Renegade. But i think it's a good thing because artillery's and mrls'es can actually defend themselves now.

Making the missiles go in a straight line and keeping the missle bay fixed means the good old disadvantage for the mrls not being able to defend itself once the enemy is close making it virtually useless and giving it a disadvantage over the artillery.
As for the artillery, yup they're strong but how's that any different from renny?

QUOTE (Advert @ Nov 1 2009, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and remove the homing capabilities of the rockets, and make them fly straight forward only.[/b]
MRLS-Rockets in original Renegade are also heatseeking.
They have no "lock on"-signal, but they follow targets on the last ~30m...

And the MRLS was even more powerfull in renegade because of it's fixed missile bay (like in reality)
You can fire them on a target behind you, so they turn after leaving the bay.
Because they are fired in a much biger angle in this way, they can fly over high barriers.

Result: The MRLS in Renegade X is easy to use for noobs but experienced gamers have much more possibilitys with the version from original Renegade.

BTW: I agree Jointn00b, modern artillery fires ~150mm high explosive shells, they blow up everything they hit.
And the bigest MRLS (like the russian ones) fires a single intercontinental missile with nuclear warhead...

QUOTE (Advert @ Oct 31 2009, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Suggestion set #1 (possibly harder to implement, will need lots of fine-tuning, and I can already hear people whining over their MRLS/Artillery not being a battle tank anymore (even though they weren't intended for that)):

Reduce the turning speed of the Nod Artillery's turret dramatically (down to 8-20% of what it is currently)
To counterbalance this versus the GDI MRLS, reduce the turning speed of the MRLS' rocket bay to match the Artillery's, increase the rocket speed (up around the artillery's speed, I'd guess, but you could also try some speed-up mechanism depending on air time), and remove the homing capabilities of the rockets, and make them fly straight forward only.

Suggestion set #2:

Reduce MRLS/Artillery armor versus tanks, and reduce their damage versus tanks.
Might make them too paper, but then again, they aren't exactly tanks.

Suggestion set #?? (Might be problematic implementing):
Add physics to all tank projectiles, and possibly some to the MRLS' rockets, too.[/b]

No, disagree this is BS. Only nerf that is need is shell missle velocity. In ren missles not always were tracking even if you used rightclick.