Srsly locking vehicle in next patch plz.

epicelite

QUOTE (epicelite @ Oct 30 2009, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really I have had so many of my vehicles stolen when I hop out to fix a building nobody else will bother with. I mean am I supposed to choose between my vehicle and letting the building get blown up when I am in my own base?

I MEAN C'MOOOOOOON! :rolleyes: [/b]

I agree, its most annoying thing in ren x. Remember the player name that stole yours vehicle, then stole his vehicle another game and send it to destruction :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really like the idea of locking vehicles. Yes, I know it prevents people from stealing, but often times people leave their around in base or in field and it just makes it easy(more so for NOD stealth soldiers) for enemies to steal because your team can do nothing to stop it. Especially on most Renegade servers where locking a vehicle prevented team damage.

-I think a way to kick someone from your vehicle with a warning message is fine.

-If there absolutely has to be a locking function, limit how long it can be locked so people can't go afk or leave their vehicle unattended for extended amounts of time.

-Another idea would be being able to prevent select users from entering your vehicle.

Bugfixes are the main priority, along with the major gameplay programming (i.e. getting things in like characters, buildings, PTs, server-side fixes).

It may be something we can get in and find a solution for in a release soon, but its not a main priority.

Personally I'd like to have a lock hot-key. By default your vehicle is locked until you unlock by pressing the hotkey (CTRL+H or something similarly unused). Once unlocked it can't be re-locked by you or some other similar mechanic.

QUOTE (zunnie @ Nov 15 2009, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A system like in renegade would be nice.

Ctrl+B = bind vehicle (or make this happen as soon as it rolls out of the wf/strip)
Ctrl+L = lock the vehicle so nobody but you and the enemy can enter
Ctrl+K = kick the player that entered your vehicle out[/b]

That's my only problem with locking vehicles. People lock them and leave them in the base or in the field and your team can't do anything but watch it get stolen.

QUOTE (ArcticPrism @ Nov 15 2009, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's my only problem with locking vehicles. People lock them and leave them in the base or in the field and your team can't do anything but watch it get stolen.[/b]

Noob players lock their vehicle always, but the leet players only lock when it gets stolen by a teammate.

QUOTE (zunnie @ Nov 16 2009, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Noob players lock their vehicle always, but the leet players only lock when it gets stolen by a teammate.[/b]

you could just lock the DRIVER seat of the vehicle, which means that anyone entering would end up in the passenger/gunner seat. Making preparing for rushes quicker and allowing you to shoot from the vehicle thus protecting it from both destruction and stealing. Or, should a passenger/gunner seat be non existant (stealth tank), then they are set in the drivers seat without the option to drive, and they get kicked out the moment the owner tries to enter the vehicle.

As for people locking their vehicles in the base and doing nothing with them. There are lots of servers in normal renegade that gave you a message of who locked it. If like 3 people note this and use some command, !unlock Demigan, then the vehicle will be unlocked. Along with a rule that this command can't be used within the first so many minutes (3 minutes?) the owner isn't in the vehicle, then it would give you time.
Time to get out and repair without 3 people shouting that it should be unlocked and making off with it, should you stay longer repairing or doing something else, like saving a tank for later in the game, then people can eventually unlock it and use it for the team.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

Locking should be included as the benefits far exceed the downsides.

If people are leaving their vehicles in the field, there is a good chance they will die before they get to where they intend to go and any half-decent locking system would automatically unlock the vehicle if

A: the player died of any circumstance.

B: the player changed team.

C: the player left the game.

I personally think Demigan's last post has it spot on for a proper locking system. Let people enter into the passenger/gunner seat, allow them to use the vehicle's weapons if applicable. Let people enter the one-seaters to keep them occupied and safe from stealing, but immediately kick them out if the owner tries to enter and don't let them drive.

The only thing I disagree with is the idea of giving other players the ability to override a lock. I can see smug clanners and griefers working together to unlock and use vehicles because they are impatient or just want to be arses respectively.

I have had several vehicles stolen from me in RenX so far, twice people have been kicked from the game because they went off and wasted them, and a few others went unpunished for their actions.

Although none of the steals have been at inconvenient times (IE a Medium Tank I just bought with my last 800 to help defend the base), its annoying.