Officer vs Patch

Demigan

You said the officer is only a certain % or so of the patches worth. But I was seeing it the other way: how much more expencive is the patch compared to the officer?

Officer: 175 creds

Patch: 450 creds

officer is 38% of the patch price? (175/450)

patch however, is 157% MORE expencive then the officer price. Which was what I'm getting at. (450/175)

But, We'll see who's right after a few test rounds, perhaps it will actually be better this way :)

To be completely honest. I never used patch at all. I think I used him maybe a total of 10 times out of all my years playing Renegade. And most of the time it was just because I had money to spend.

What's going to make or break whether I use him or not is if I like the way he looks and like the way the gun looks. Balance/price has nothing to do with it. (Patch has no real purpose in the game in the first place.)

The only reason why I use the Officer now is because I like the chaingun model and it's firing sound.

• Totem Arts Staff

I also did not really use Patch.

The Gunner was better in almost every way. Better against infantry, vehicles, structures, and he was 50 credits cheaper. The Laser Chaingun also seemed to do around the same damage as Patch against infantry, but did better against vehicles.

The only useful purpose to the Patch in my opinion was as BOB mentioned, finding SBHs. But that's not really a big part of the game, I'd much rather use Gunner or Laser chaingun.

QUOTE ((NE)Fobby(GEN) @ Oct 24 2009, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gunner sucks? :huh:[/b]

like i said i never took time to play with him. and using a rocket launcher the right way in infantry battles takes practise. that's why i took a patch over a gunner any day. but vs tanks and buildings gunner has the bigtime advantage, even when you don't know how to use him lol

QUOTE (Mighty BOB! @ Oct 24 2009, 03:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No purpose? Are you kidding me? Patch is the best SBH hunter in the game.[/b]

How so? His projectiles are the same size as an autorifles or chaingun. So he has a little extra radiation damage.. that doesn't make it easier to find a SBH. It's way more efficient to use a free soldier, hotwire, volt rifle, or any splash damage weapon/vehicle.

All of the following characters have the same rate of fire which makes ROF a null point.

Patch has the fastest reload.

The first three have roughly the same range, but the Mobius has an inferior range.

The last three do the same damage per shot (not taking into account the warhead system, in which case the Officer does 2X.)

Both Patch and Mobius do lingering damage (Tiberium and Burn respectively) making them more valuable for both doing extra damage and also revealing the SBH longer to both yourself and also to nearby teammates. If you're at range, this gives you time to close with the SBH to get within range of seeing them without needing to hit them (making it easier to track them). But the Patch is the victor due to longer range.

Patch has twice the health of a Soldier and half again as much as the Officer for only a little more credits. The Mobius is not cost-effective.

That's not to say the Soldier and Officer aren't dangerous or lethal, but I'll gladly take the damage over time and reveal.

Hotwire? Really? The Repair gun is the shortest-ranged weapon in the game aside from C4 (if it's lingering highlights your looking for) and it also, you know, heals the enemy. If you're going to switch to pistol you might as well go with the other characters. The Remotes are indeed dangerous, but only if you can get the drop on the SBH, and since they can see you a lot further off, they're more likely to get the drop on you than the other way around.

Other splash weapons are not fully effective as they are usually in short clips with limited blast radii (rockets, grenades).

Vehicles cannot go everywhere that infantry can go, but they are definitely of higher usefulness in open areas where having unlimited ammo is a plus. But I'm talking only about infantry.

Soldier/Autorifle:

Health: 100

Armor: 100

Range: Long

Rate of Fire: 10 rounds/second

Reload Time: 2.06 seconds

Projectile Type: Projectile

Damage: 7 per shot with GDI rifle

Warhead: Shrapnel

Officer/Chaingun:

Health: 150

Reload Time: 2.00 seconds

Projectile Type: Projectile

Damage: 10 per shot

Warhead type: Steel

Patch/Tiberium Flechette:

Health: 200

Reload Time: 1.60 seconds

Projectile Type: Projectile(Tiberium)

Damage: 10 (plus minor tiberium poisoning of about 10 points)

Warhead: TiberiumShrapnel

Mobius/Volt Autorifle:

Health: 250

Range: Medium

Ammo: 100/400

Rate of Fire: 10 round/second

Reload Time: 2.27 seconds

Projectile type: Instant

Damage: 10 (plus 10 burn damage per shot)

Warhead type: IonCannon (this is the generic electric warhead)

QUOTE (Kelazun @ Oct 25 2009, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then what makes him so weak?[/b]

His cost effectiveness?

An officer is 175 credits. he deals as stated by Mightybob, and as he is working on the mod he should know, 10 damage each round that hits.

The patch deal the same, plus a little tiberium poisoning which no one will be waiting for during a lightning fast firefight where it might cash out 20-40 damage max. So what are the advantages of a patch?
He deals tib damage, very small advantage
He has near pinpoint accuracy, giving him an edge if you are very good at aiming at moving targets.
He had 50 health extra on the officer.

All in all, for 450 vs the 175 of the officer, that seems a little low to me.

I don't really know the stats, but my experience with other characters varies.
A gunner is only better then the patch when you fight in tunnels, such as Islands. Your enemy can't strafe very far and if you hit walls you still hit them. But you never see people try gunner vs infantry in for instance City, walls, complex, only in maps like Islands as most of the fighting happens in those tunnels.

Mobius is less good vs infantry then the patch. Unless you are directly shooting them in the head. When me and my brother do a dual team and one of us takes patch and the other mobius, then the patch is the one raking up the kills, whoever of us have him. His advantage vs tanks and the first few shots vs unsuspecting people make up for that.

I never understood why you would try to find SBH with a hotwire. The repair beam barely extends outside the range where you can see them anyways, if it extends outisde that range at all. And the extra disadvantage that you have to switch to a pistol and try to keep up with a barely seen shimmer in the air.

QUOTE (Kelazun @ Oct 25 2009, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see.
What about viceroids, were they officially in Renegade or was it a server mod I was playing?[/b]

They were officially in renegade SINGLE player, never in multiplayer.

If you check the FAQ, you will find that visceroids are not going to be included in the vanilla version.

QUOTE (Mighty BOB! @ Oct 23 2009, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No purpose? Are you kidding me? Patch is the best SBH hunter in the game.[/b]

He is the best SBH hunter because of the DPS the tiberium from his flechette gun does. All you have to do, is hit an SBH once out of a few shots, and the iberium takes over allowing you to spot him even stealthed.

Patch has been, still is, and will continue to be an effective character in that regard. It's not a matter of firepower, but tiberium exposure.

that's strange because as long as i can remember, nobody played the chaingun officer in original Renegade. It was absolutetly a waste of money. On GDI side, everybody waited for gunner for killing vehicles, or ... patch to kill infantry... why ? Because it was much easier to kill infantry with him. Of course the laser chaingun officer for the same cost was much better imao. But Patch was one of my few favourite GDI infantry unit. The one who really sucked was the 150 sydney lol. There's a problem if everybody finds the chaingun officer awesome. Patch for me is much better with no doubt

QUOTE (Gandjak @ Oct 26 2009, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that's strange because as long as i can remember, nobody played the chaingun officer in original Renegade. It was absolutetly a waste of money. On GDI side, everybody waited for gunner for killing vehicles, or ... patch to kill infantry... why ? Because it was much easier to kill infantry with him. Of course the laser chaingun officer for the same cost was much better imao. But Patch was one of my few favourite GDI infantry unit. The one who really sucked was the 150 sydney lol. There's a problem if everybody finds the chaingun officer awesome. Patch for me is much better with no doubt[/b]

Try out the officer as a quick unit in for instance city-flying. In city it's very important to either destroy or defend a harvester, buying the officer asap can turn a whole tide. And yes, most people would rather save for a sniper, SBH or a tech/hottie. Their loss in my opinion :)

The patch IS ofcourse better then the officer. And will practically always win in a firefight assuming both players are equally good players. Still, if I want to go shooting lots of people up with spray weapons, officer is my choice when uncle sam isn't very generous.

QUOTE (Demigan @ Oct 26 2009, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try out the officer as a quick unit in for instance city-flying. In city it's very important to either destroy or defend a harvester, buying the officer asap can turn a whole tide. And yes, most people would rather save for a sniper, SBH or a tech/hottie. Their loss in my opinion :)

The patch IS ofcourse better then the officer. And will practically always win in a firefight assuming both players are equally good players. Still, if I want to go shooting lots of people up with spray weapons, officer is my choice when uncle sam isn't very generous.[/b]

don't forget you have the rocket officer at 225 for the harvesters, or NOD chemsprayer at 150 (my best choice at the beginnining).
And at the beginning, basic troopers are enough to destroy the enemy harvester, if everybody knows what he has to do.

QUOTE (Gandjak @ Oct 27 2009, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
don't forget you have the rocket officer at 225 for the harvesters, or NOD chemsprayer at 150 (my best choice at the beginnining).
And at the beginning, basic troopers are enough to destroy the enemy harvester, if everybody knows what he has to do.[/b]

I'm always defending my own harvester, and as you said, basic infantry are more then good enough to blow the harvester if everyone knows what to do. Which is why you need some extra firepower to keep them away from that juicy moneytruck.