University Research Dissertation

maty

I finally got around to uploading this! Evil Smiley and Mighty Bob can finally have a read!

Anyone is welcome to download and read!!

This is what I did in my final year of university. This project got the highest mark in the year (86%, they NEVER mark above 77% as a general rule as thats considered "maximum marks").

9 months of my life was spent dedicated to this. Its about 100 pages, the first few pages you can ignore, theyre just figure lists!

This is not a tutorial, or article. This is an achedemic research piece. It provides detailed information, analysis and design aspects. Its a great insight into the design process!

What is it?

Originally posted by me

This dissertation examines the history of smallarms from their inception to modern day, evaluating their evolution. This evolving process is analysed and then applied to modern weapons, combined with additional areas such as ammunition, battlefield requirements and other factors, to create believable and futuristic weaponry. These designs were then evaluated and imported into the Unreal Engine 3 platform.

.ZIP of the .PDF:

Designing Futuristic Weaponry by Evolving Past and Present Weapon Designs by Matthew McDonald

Enjoy! :)

Browsed it fast, i will read it better tomorrow, in the meantime do you remember an inventor called David Dardick? He made a system that is similar to the revolver/pistol concept that you abandoned and his rounds had an interesting shape.

QUOTE (DXR_13KE @ Oct 14 2009, 12:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Browsed it fast, i will read it better tomorrow, in the meantime do you remember an inventor called David Dardick? He made a system that is similar to the revolver/pistol concept that you abandoned and his rounds had an interesting shape.[/b]

Aye, he's repsonisble for the tround, if I remember correctly - I can't remember if I covered that within my dissertation or not, haha! Triplex SALVO Tround ftw!

QUOTE (maty @ Oct 14 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aye, he's repsonisble for the tround, if I remember correctly - I can't remember if I covered that within my dissertation or not, haha! Triplex SALVO Tround ftw![/b]

i don't think you covered it...

Shame the tround was not successful, it would be rather interesting to see them in action.

• 4 weeks later...

Woah, abandoned this topic, oops, sorry!

Ah I thought I might have done, I remember researching it, but if I didnt put it in it was because I couldnt find enough achedemic source to back up what I could find on it.

And yes, Storm speciliase in electronic firing systems. Metal Storm manages a 1 million rpm firing rate.

However, these is little use for such technology on a battlefield. It be pretty daft to have 30 rounds you dispense so fast if you miss you then have to rload. One bullet does enough damage :) .