Lag issues

thrash300

• Former Developers

Well see, here is the thing. You cant NOT have lag when you play online. It is not possible. There will always be lag in any game and any engine. The amount of lag really depends on the server. Find a good server, and you wont have much lag, but if your not so lucky at finding a good server, it can get really annoying.

There's actually a good point to his question, though. Often while I was playing Renegade on WiFi at home (and sometimes even after I was able to be hardlined into the router), I ran into the "player running in a straight line who isn't really there so he warps away when I shoot him and he calls me a hacker" netcode/packet loss/whatever it is bug. Is the UT3 netcode prone to this sort of error, or can it make better corrections so this situation will either never occur or occur much less often than in Renegade?

QUOTE (havoc9826 @ Aug 15 2009, 07:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's actually a good point to his question, though. Often while I was playing Renegade on WiFi at home (and sometimes even after I was able to be hardlined into the router), I ran into the "player running in a straight line who isn't really there so he warps away when I shoot him and he calls me a hacker" netcode/packet loss/whatever it is bug. Is the UT3 netcode prone to this sort of error, or can it make better corrections so this situation will either never occur or occur much less often than in Renegade?[/b]

I've played my share of UT3 and while there are servers with lag there is no such thing as what you are describing there. It is always a problem with connection (or hardware for some low-end computer players) but not the netcoding.
Just think of this: Renegade is a very old engine with lots of errors in the coding itself, the game was the first FPS build by a company that was focused on RTS. UT3 engine was build by people who were focused on FPS to start with, and UT3 was build almost exclusively to be played on the internet from the way I see it. The R-X team isn't stupid, they won't be taking old faults out of Renegade and actually change the UT3 engine to allow those faults to come back.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.