Forum Registrations Captcha

mycull

Hey guys, I found registering on your forum very difficult because of the captcha. Some letters were just blobs that could have been any number of things.

Anyways, I think it would be a good idea for you to replace it with one that is much easier to read. I almost got frustrated and left because of it!

Great looking trailer by the way, very excited.

QUOTE ((NE)Fobby(GEN) @ Aug 14 2009, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The problem these days is that many spam bots could bypass CAPTCHA images that are easier to read. That's why at many sites these days they've gotten harder to read.

The time spent at the CAPTCHA page is not a wasted effort ;) [/b]

I imagine the bots are only going to get smarter, though...sooner or later the letter will have to be completely unreadable.

QUOTE (thrash300 @ Aug 14 2009, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL your joking right??.[/b]

Dude this is common Internet knowledge... Where have you been for the past 7 years? Bots are why CAPTCHA images exist in the first place and why they keep getting more complex.

QUOTE (theshado @ Aug 14 2009, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I imagine the bots are only going to get smarter, though...sooner or later the letter will have to be completely unreadable.[/b]
QUOTE (An4x1madr0s @ Aug 14 2009, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then how is someone supposed to join the forums? :unsure:[/b]

Some guys at like MIT or something are working on actual images for a next generation of CAPTCHA. So you'll have to identify an Apple or a Plane or something instead of a word.

QUOTE (Mighty BOB! @ Aug 14 2009, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dude this is common Internet knowledge... Where have you been for the past 7 years? Bots are why CAPTCHA images exist in the first place and why they keep getting more complex.

Some guys at like MIT or something are working on actual images for a next generation of CAPTCHA. So you'll have to identify an Apple or a Plane or something instead of a word.[/b]

What happens on a multilingual forum? Or if someone put Airplane instead of plane and spends even more time trying to think of things the picture might be called? :P

But seriously, it sounds like it would just be easier to find all the people who make spam bots and light them on fire. :blink:

QUOTE ((NE)Fobby(GEN) @ Aug 14 2009, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The problem these days is that many spam bots could bypass CAPTCHA images that are easier to read. That's why at many sites these days they've gotten harder to read.

The time spent at the CAPTCHA page is not a wasted effort ;) [/b]

I saw one website that had a picture next to the captcha that said "DO NOT ENTER ANYTHING FOR CAPCHA CODE!"

Never saw a single spambot on there either. :P

Dude this is common Internet knowledge... Where have you been for the past 7 years? Bots are why CAPTCHA images exist in the first place and why they keep getting more complex.[/b]

I suppose flash text would deter the robots, cause it would make them too large to use. I actually got a software that generates flash text with special effects and all(too lazy to to use flash+convinient.).

Regardless, you guys are doing a great job maintaining the board.

Or you could use 3D captcha or ASCII captcha. ASCII captcha is letters made out of ASCII symbols. Currently bots can't read this.

It's very clean and clear captcha and no bots can read it. After it fails, just add question like how much is x+y?

Or change to 3D captcha.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (DXR_13KE @ Aug 14 2009, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"what is 2 + 15"

"What is the colour of a carrot?"[/b]

QUOTE (Mr. Weedy @ Aug 15 2009, 05:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or you could use 3D captcha or ASCII captcha. ASCII captcha is letters made out of ASCII symbols. Currently bots can't read this.

It's very clean and clear captcha and no bots can read it. After it fails, just add question like how much is x+y?

Or change to 3D captcha.[/b]

If a spambot is capable of bypassing a CAPTCHA, imputing an email address, reading a validation email and following the correct activation link, what makes you think something as simple as that won't be cracked?

@ whoever maintains this site
If you guys ever intend to upgrade to IP.Board 3.0 you might wanna look into this: http://forums.invisionpower.com/topic/2888...toring-service/

Because the way bots read the picture. True, ascii captcha may get cracked in a year or two but at least currently it is totally fool proof because bots read the individual ascii marks as letters and those don't see the big picture which forms from those smaller ones. Humans can understand that ascii mark isn't a letter and they can also see the forms which are formed from those ascii marks.

3D captcha is even harder because bots read the lines from the picture in vertical and horizontal rows and then try to see what matches with normal font.

In 3D captcha the image is formed from very few lines but it still is recognizable by human because humans won't see the lines as lines but they see it as bumped up hills which form letters.

Google 3D captcha to find more about it. Same goes with Ascii captcha.

Also spambots don't understand what they read.

They can't handle questions or sentences, they just write down what they read but they have no idea what is said in there. Thus if there are for example couple of random questions which change everytime the spam bots have no chance at all typing the correct answer. For example. I can copy egyptian hieroglyfs with ease but I have no idea what those say. This same situation happens with spambots.