Grenade Launcher - Secondary Fire

Fiend2k

Hey all, I'm new to the forums, I heard about this project a little over a year ago, and finally decided to join the forums, as the site is currently down ;) ...

While, I do believe that Renegade-X should be kept very similar to the original, I've always had a problem with the grenade launcher...

It takes a lot of skill to use the grenade launcher accurately, and I can deal with that, but I never liked the lack of versatility: You have to be really good to kill someone with it, and even more so in a confined space.

Either way, I just though it would be cool for the grenade launcher to have a secondary fire: Something similar to the secondary fire for the rocket launcher in Unreal Tournament, where instead of firing, it kind of 'chucks' it, bounces forward a distance, and then detonates.

Just an idea.

-Fiend

Come to think of it, hand grenades in Renegade would be cool too, but then again, it could really overly-effect gameplay, and It'd probably feel a little to much like CS:S. Smoke grenades though.... Eeehh, I'll shut up.

QUOTE (Fiend2k @ Jul 9 2009, 02:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While, I do believe that Renegade-X should be kept very similar to the original, I've always had a problem with the grenade launcher...
It takes a lot of skill to use the grenade launcher accurately, and I can deal with that, but I never liked the lack of versatility: You have to be really good to kill someone with it, and even more so in a confined space.[/b]

Wait what?!
You should practise it a bit more then... ;)
Making headshots (or close to with body shots, damaging someone to like 50%) with grenaders on long range is pretty easy when you practise it.

An alt-fire sounds fun though, but it would be nice if it doesn't make that weapon more overpowered than it already is (overpowered: insane damage, can kill 10 people solo if you practise it, whores tunnels like cake at the beginning of a game and best of all: can shoot around corners... you can kill people around rocks while they can't hit you).

All I knew is that there will be a secondary fire, everything else was kept secret as far as I know.

There's only a few people who seem to be good shots with the grenade launcher, and while dangerous, I've never really met someone who could stand up to me no matter what character I had.

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

• Former Developers

Driect quote from the recent "Nod Update"

GDI's only asset in this update. The 'Kestrel' Grenade Launcher fires 40mm grenade rounds in an arc. Although difficult to become accustomed to, if used correctly, the Grenade Launcher could pose a threat to infantry, vehicles, and structures, especially in packs. Primary fire shoots a grenade that explodes on impact, while secondary fire shoots a grenade that will bounce and last a few seconds.[/b]

So essentially, the primary fire will explode on impact, and the secondary fire will launch a grenade that will bounce as many times as it comes into contact with any object, however it will explode if it comes into contact with a target or if the grenade reaches its life time of 8 seconds.

"and the secondary fire will launch a grenade that will bounce as many times as it comes into contact with any object"

Are you saying that the alt-fire grenade will bounce indefinitely (for 8 seconds) and not come to a rest after a few bounces like most objects when dropped? That's going to be a bit comical. And even if the grenade does use realistic physics (grenade comes to a rest after a few bounces), I have a feeling the alt-fire is going to be overused as an ad-hoc mine layer.

A grenade on the ground deals less damage then one at chest height. Will the damage from a grenade deal a lot less damage when it's on the ground (hits only the legs) then when it explodes at close proximity on a wall/against the person itself? That would prevent overuse of the alt-fire because it would deal a lot less damage then hitting someone at higher points on the body.

QUOTE ((NE)Fobby(GEN) @ Jul 11 2009, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that's an obvious "yes" as direct damage of a weapon will always deal more than its splash damage.[/b]

Not exactly what I asked. Suppose you hit the wall next to someone at chest height, not a direct hit. Would the amount of damage be significantly higher then a splash damage against the legs?

And suppose someone walks across a grenade that is lying still, it will go off and be a direct hit (I think). But will that do tons of damage, or will it deal significantly less damage then a direct hit vs chest?

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

• Totem Arts Staff

Both would deal a good amount of damage, but splash damage hurts more if it's near the chest than if it's near the legs.

And for the second question, I'm not positive if splash damage to the chest damages more than a direct hit to the legs or not. It should, I guess, but I haven't tried it.