Cancelled Games  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Cancelled Games

• C&C Renegade 2
    • C&C Tiberian Twilight
    • C&C Continuum
    • Tiberium

• Totem Arts Staff

That definitely would've been my second choice. I've got two strong feelings about C&C inside me - the will to have fun and the will to get the canon fixed. Although I would love a Tiberian Twilight, I probably would've ended up playing Renegade 2 a lot more. RTS for me is a once in a while thing, while I played Renegade daily for years.

I think it would be somewhere between tiberium and renegade 2 (provided that the interface was the same in ren 2 as in ren)

something involving the scrin, new units (although you cant leave out the mammoth tank) but better graphics.

between those only, ren 2 would be my choice.

Tiberium Twilight hands down if it was resurrected by Petroglyph. The universe wouldn't be in shambles if wasn't for EA screwing up the story line and unit structure of the previous games with C&C3. I really enjoyed C&C3 as a game in itself, it was very well built and a lot of fun but if you look at it compared to the other games in the series, you get this... "wtf happened to this and that?" feeling.

Renegade 2 would have been an awesome extension to the Renegade multiplayer but the campaign would probably blow like the first one. I only played Renegade online, I never got past the third mission in the campaign. It was sooooo boring, linear, cliched and uninteresting. I would love to see EA Dice make a online muliplayer game based on Command and Conquer, that would be sick.

Tiberium failed in art design, while it had some interesting ideas and gameplay mechanics; the whole game looked bland. I'm glad they canceled it. It would have further tarnished the C&C Universe.

Tiberium Twilight, I love RTS games. Renegade is actually the only FPS I've been able to play without getting easily bored and I think it's because of the RTS elements in it. I'm just not a fan of shooting things with no greater objective to achieve.

That screenshot of your 'renegade 2' made me choose that one. I think that EA has made a mistake with C&C3 and Red alert. It's in the units.

The C&C games always had one step on the other games, it's in-game economy, easy control of units and construction. But when I saw C&C 3 and red alert 3, I hoped they would continue with the pioneering in the RTS genre: add more diverse units. Instead, they chose the Graphix side.

Don't get me wrong, they do have a lot of diversity of units, but there is actually no real choice. These are against tanks, these against units, these capture buildings, these have the advantage of a jumpjet and these don't.

But where is the real diversity? being able to choose between a peacekeeper and a 'normal' soldier, light tanks with different armaments, from rockets to simply this one has a 200mm cannon, this one a 120mm cannon and this one a 12mm anti personel cannon. That would really give you choices, a diversity in an army of one type of tanks would give you a range of stragetics and possibilities far wider then 'mass this, add a bit of that and GO'.

It's the FPS-RTS for me, Renegade is still a unique amongst all the other games, and the leading FPS pioneer Unreal has only begun in this direction with a weak, stale and thin version of it. Hell, they show the same decline as the C&C universe, more graphix, less real CONTENT. Where is my personal favourite game-mode assault?. Oh well.

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

• Former Developers

Hands down Tiberian Twilight. C&C needs to be saved more then it needing another FPS. C&C was never about getting as many hot actresses as you possibly can and calling it a C&C game. The series has been going downhill starting with Generals. Though I would love to see Renegade 2 or even Continuum, I prefer the story to move forward in the direction WW intended rather then going with the path EA chose.

Why do you need Ren2 when you got RenX ;) haha kid. I'd love Ren 2 to be reborn and connect the RA and Tiberium universes.

• Former Developers

Well think about it this way. During that chaotic time when Westwood Studios was finished; they had just released C&C Renegade. During that time, everyone was waiting for the next big C&C, the one that we've been waiting for since 1999. Everyone was waiting for Tiberian Twilight, and you know something, we're still waiting for Tiberian Twilight even though we know there never will be one. I dont know about you, but Tiberium Wars was never a sequal to Tiberian Sun/Firestorm and never will be. Renegade 2 would not have healed C&C as much as Tiberian Twilight would have. If WW didnt die out, and they released Ren2 before TT then I would have been pissed.

QUOTE (Havoc89 @ Jun 4 2009, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hands down Tiberian Twilight. C&C needs to be saved more then it needing another FPS. C&C was never about getting as many hot actresses as you possibly can and calling it a C&C game. The series has been going downhill starting with Generals. Though I would love to see Renegade 2 or even Continuum, I prefer the story to move forward in the direction WW intended rather then going with the path EA chose.

Why do you need Ren2 when you got RenX ;) haha kid. I'd love Ren 2 to be reborn and connect the RA and Tiberium universes.[/b]

As far as I understand, EA didn't actually muck it up all by himself. Westwood was going in the aliens direction even before EA took over, and the idea to have a plot with an old time machine from Red alert in the tiberium universe would have totally destroyed my idea of the series I think. Although I agree with you they have gone downhill: there is too much fluffy things around, actresses, graphix, and too little real content for the advanced computertechniques we have reached right now.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

I am VERY disappointed with everything after Zero Hour. You don't need half naked people or cursing or gore to make a good game! I am OK with the graphics and that stuff; However, if they spent the time on better game play it would have been a lot better that using it to find "hot" actors.

I voted Tiberium.

It could have easily saved the Tiberium story line and it also had a fun game play concept.

I don't want TT because C&C3 is already out. If there is something that I dislike more that screwed up canon it would have to be re-written canon. No to Renegade 2 because I really don't like the RA universe. And Continuum was just a stupid idea in the first place.

QUOTE (Qbert @ Jun 5 2009, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am VERY disappointed with everything after Zero Hour. You don't need half naked people or cursing or gore to make a good game! I am OK with the graphics and that stuff; However, if they spent the time on better game play it would have been a lot better that using it to find "hot" actors.[/b]

It's pretty obvious to me that you are just going off of conjecture of what you've either seen from the game or read about it. Without actually playing them yourself.

None of your points make sense.

-Half naked people? Are you referring to RA3's cast? They only really used 'sex appeal' in the advertisements. It's not really in the game itself (bar the last Eva/Tanya cutscene in the Allied campaign (which was downright retarded and tacked on.))

-Cursing? What? Since when?

-Gore? What are you talking about? Westwood's C&C games had more gore than EA's did.

• Totem Arts Staff
If WW didnt die out, and they released Ren2 before TT then I would have been pissed.[/b]

Actually that was the original plan - Renegade 2 was set to come out in the 2003/2004 period while TT was going to be out right after that. Remember that Westwood was working on Emperor: Battle for Dune until about mid 2001, and that TT would've probably needed quite a bit of time to finish and perfect, like Tiberian Sun.

QUOTE (R315r4z0r @ Jun 5 2009, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I voted Tiberium.

It could have easily saved the Tiberium story line and it also had a fun game play concept.

I don't want TT because C&C3 is already out. If there is something that I dislike more that screwed up canon it would have to be re-written canon. No to Renegade 2 because I really don't like the RA universe. And Continuum was just a stupid idea in the first place.

It's pretty obvious to me that you are just going off of conjecture of what you've either seen from the game or read about it. Without actually playing them yourself.
None of your points make sense.
-Half naked people? Are you referring to RA3's cast? They only really used 'sex appeal' in the advertisements. It's not really in the game itself (bar the last Eva/Tanya cutscene in the Allied campaign (which was downright retarded and tacked on.))
-Cursing? What? Since when?
-Gore? What are you talking about? Westwood's C&C games had more gore than EA's did.[/b]

I am taking all games into acount. I would love to play UT3 but because of my stantards (and my age) I won't.

• 2 weeks later...

i dont even know why ea didn't just continue renegade 2 rather than make a "C&C" game that has as much similarity to Command & Conquer games as starcraft. :angry:

P.S. im speaking of Generals in case anyone was wondering

renegade 2 ofcourse ... followed by TT ...

honestly i forgot about continuum, do not have any hard facts in my mind now ... justt he name rings a bell

and about tiberium, i never liked that game ... at first i thought it could be kewl (right after the announcement) ...

but after a while it became clear it would be some sort of BF clone with a thin story (if there was one at all)

i was very happy when they canceled it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ren for 1 retarded reason.

I don't even like command and conquer, don't give a shit about the story line what so ever. Ren however struck a note with me as a great game, with great multiplayer abilities. The fact it joined communities was what drew me to it. That's the reason for my vote. Ren is epic.

I Picked Twilight , just by looking at some UI concepts i could predict it was gonna be 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times more Epic that all the CnC games EALA can do combined.....and i was right based on what was said on petroglyph forums by Ex westwood members <_<

*sigh* i feel bad now remembering firestorm's ending......i think ill try my own story for what happened.....

QUOTE (An4x1madr0s @ Aug 18 2009, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I Picked Twilight Renegade 2, just by looking at some UI concepts i could predict it was gonna be 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times more Epic that all the CnC games EALA tyranical EA games can do combined.....and i was right based on what was said on petroglyph forums by Ex westwood members <_<[/b]

*Fixed.

Oh man I would be all over Renegade 2 if they had used Prism Tanks.

They were awesome; but I dont get how they fit with Renegade 2 seeing as they were introduced in the Red Alert series. o_O?

My close-second would be for Tiberium even though I'm not very good at first-person squad-management.

Renegade 2 had to story's , one as the prequel to Tiberian dawn but was scrapped in favor of one set on the red alert 2 universe

And Red Alert 2 was yhe result of time travel that was gonna happen on tiberian twilight / incursion so....

And to all those EA bashers , ill have to say on their defence that there was a time (A long time ago on a country far far away...) in which EA made their own games..................and they were good..... :o

and then they fell to the darkside.....that was about the 1980s 90s tho