featured map events?

iridesence

It was just a thought I had at one point, but why not have hosted events..  ..say a "mini pug" on a certain day, say fridays.  where a singular map is played a few times with a group of dedicated players. it would be like the normal pugs but every week the selected map could rotate to a different map on a list. (essentially the same map would be played for that day)

for example:

-Week 1: walls

-Week 2: eyes

-Week 3: storm

-Week 4: cliff side

-week 5: under

-week 6: (custom community made map)

after the list is exhausted it would restart from week one.  this would give more maps attention and might help shake away some of the staleness of playing the same 3-5 maps all the time. (then again, i am also biased toward certain maps ill admit) And adding in the community made maps might be a way to freshen up the experience by trying new things as well.

having said all this, i haven't shown much interest in normal pugs before so im not 100% sure exactly how they are managed rotation-wise, so if its already like this then just ignore my words.

4 hours ago, iridesence said:

this would give more maps attention and might help shake away some of the staleness of playing the same 3-5 maps all the time.

First, I don't really experience only playing 3-5 maps. I would say in my games a solid 10-12 maps are played, with 3-5 being rarely played because they suck.

Second, while I am not against this idea, I fail to see how it would fix the supposed problem. Too few maps are played! lets binge a single map every Friday in a separate pug server? If It's a map nobody likes, nobody will join the pug... if its a map everyone likes, it will be binging one of your 3-5 maps even more.

I'd rather have a set map list or pool of uncommon maps than play the same map over and over. During PUGs recently however I see the same maps mostly played over and over... Field-X, Daybreak, Outposts, Lakeside, Tomb, Arctic Stronghold, Reservoir and occasionally Walls or Whiteout is picked also.