Creating a custom kill sound

Fishyshoe

Hi all,

I've seen there's an option to use a custom kill sound, and I have seen the tutorial in the forums on how to do it.

Unfortunately, the SDK thingie doesn't work for me for some reason (it crashes right after loading - and yes, I did download that gigantic 10GB zip file, before you ask), so I was wondering - isn't there any other, easier way to add a custom kill sound to RenX? If I recall correctly, it used to be ultra-easy back in the OldRen era. Now of course this isn't the same game and all, but how come it is not a simple matter of adding a sound file somewhere in the RenX directory, renaming it or something, and then enjoying the custom sound?

I don't know why the SDK crashes for me (if it didn't I wouldn't mind executing the instructions in the tutorial), and I really miss hearing Beavis screaming "YOU MUST BOW DOWN TO THE ALMIGHTY BUNGHOLE!" 😂

Any help/answer would be appreciated!

Fishy

• Totem Arts Staff

Did you already follow the troubleshooting instructions for the SDK: IE unblocking the files in Powershell? 

Unreal engine natively expects all resources to be in a package. As far as I can tell, W3D looked in the root folder 1st before looking in its package files. This is why it was unbelievably easy to mod Oldren.

Hi Yosh,

Yes, I've tried that. No luck 😞

I'll try again incase I missed something but I'm quite sure it simply doesn't work on my hand.

Maybe I should mention that after the initial "script building", it gives me a "0 errors, 87 warning(s)" message, and every time I start the .bat file, it says "scripts seem to be outdated. Rebuild now?" and I always end up with the same result...

If it is of any use, my basic specs are:

i7-8700K , RTX 2080Ti, 32GB RAM, Windows 10 Home.

• Totem Arts Staff

The 87 errors are pretty normal. It shouldn't always re-ask  to build scripts though. You could check to make sure the SDK folder has correct permissions, IE: your user account has permissions to modify/read/write. Sounds like the scripts folder isnt actually getting the script file saved. 

20 hours ago, yosh56 said:

The 87 errors are pretty normal. It shouldn't always re-ask  to build scripts though. You could check to make sure the SDK folder has correct permissions, IE: your user account has permissions to modify/read/write. Sounds like the scripts folder isnt actually getting the script file saved. 

I see.

As I said, I'll try again from the start and report back.

OK,

I have NO IDEA what I've done differently this time, I can swear I did exactly the same - but now it works!

It still re-asks me about the scripts, and again I simply answer "no" every time (except the first time obviously). After it built the shaders, the SDK runs normally.

I followed the tutorial, and now the custom kill sound works (took a bit of trial-and-error, but eventually it worked).

Funny you have to "waste" 25GB of disk-space just for a little sound file 😆 

Yosh, sir, thank you very much for your support. Next time we meet in-game, you get a free vehicle from me (assuming we're on the same team 😉)

Case closed, you may now lock this thread,

Fishy.

P.S. YOU MUST BOW DOWN TO THE ALMIGHTY BUNGHOLE! 🤣