Communication Center

R315r4z0r

I've said this before a few separate times: I don't like the "Commander" role in this game. I think that the role that the Commander fulfills should be the responsibility of the entirety of the team. Commander support powers as well as logistical abilities should be possible to any player with a few caveats to avoid misuse/abuse. However, that is a concept for another discussion. This thread is about these Support powers (regardless of if they continue to be used by Commanders or not).

Renegade X has made some interesting strides when it comes to modernizing the classic C&C Renegade. However, one thing remains largely untapped: There haven't been any introductions of new base structures. Yeah, they have repair pads, but they are more of a sub-structure. I'm talking full-on, required to destroy to win, provides significant benefit to your team, base structures.

>>>Suggestion starts here:
I suggest adding in Communication Centers to the game as a new type of base structure. They existed in Tiberian Dawn and would fit in perfectly with this game.

The benefit of a Communication Center would grant you three things:

1. CP Accumulation. Destroying a Comm Center would deny the enemy team of a constant trickle of CP.
    *ASIDE: Balance suggestion: Create a new support power that allows you to spend 3000 CP for a super weapon beacon. This power would be possible even in low-population matches.

2. "Call-in" Support Powers. This would pertain to any support ability, barring super weapons, that rely on "outside assistance." Things like recon planes, cruise missiles, even airstrikes. All such powers would be tied to the Comm Center. Therefore destroying the Comm Center would result in, among other things, denying the enemy the ability to call an airstrike.
    *NOTE: This does NOT apply to buffing abilities. You would still be able to defense/offense buff even without a Comm Center. You would likewise still be able to plant super weapon beacons as well. Even purchasing one through CP would remain possible.

3. Backup reinforcements. When advanced infantry structures (HoN/Barr), as well as vehicle production structures (WF/AS) are destroyed, you are still given the ability to upgrade/purchase low-tier units/vehicles. This is done for balance reasons and I'm 100% onboard with this. However, I believe that we should reclassify these units as "reinforcements." These reinforcements would be tied to the Comm Center. So, for instance, if GDI loses their WF but retains their Comm Center, they can call in vehicles from off the map at an increased price and production time. But if they lose their Comm Center as well, all vehicle production would become impossible.
    *ASIDE 1: I believe these same production delay that calling in a vehicle has should be applied to purchasing an advanced unit. This would work by having to wait for a transport helicopter to fly in and drop off a supply crate that only you can interact with. Once you interact with it, your class changes and the crate disappears.
    *ASIDE 2: If this Comm Center concept is considered, I'd also like to put forward the idea of increasing the types of units that can be called in as a reinforcement. Things like snipers and tanks should still be possible, albeit with the same penalties as other reinforcement units.

Maps that do not feature a Comm Center would simply behave as if they do have one. Essentially that means they would play almost exactly the same as they do now. (Basically what I'm saying is that adding a Comm Center wouldn't uproot all of the maps currently in the game right now)

I would also like to propose a concept that might make you rethink your opinion on this suggestion. I started this post talking about removing the Commander role and giving its powers to all players. Obviously a balance discussion needs to happen on that but I don't want to do that here. I do, however, want to put forward the idea that CP would become a player-currency rather than a team-currency. That would increase the value of a Comm Center dramatically and make it super important, just as much so as any other structure in the base.

Edited by R315r4z0r
  • Like 2

For newer and larger maps this sounds great and if you create a separate thread about the use of command powers I would contribute an answer to this as I've also had ideas that might prevent every other game becoming being a tunnel rocket fest.

In terms of super weapons, something that can be aimed onto the battlefield without the need for a beacon and perhaps if it were to target a building, maybe it could do up to 25% first time/50% permanent damage second time only so it can't just delete a building - making the beacon strike still stronger in that it could destroy a building at full health and this still requires a challenging manual placement.

I really wanted a spy satellite ability (not the same as a spy plane for radar map) that provides a short video feed of the battle field, either projected onto a tactical display map like (M) or even if it were to get displayed in real-time on some sort big screen in the com centre building itself and this would aid each team is planning ahead based on what things are going on, as an ability that could be tried to a coms building.

The last idea I'm going to suggest that fits with coms centre is I think now that perhaps even both sides require an infiltration option and I figured that either gliders or a plane parachute drop of a few squad members could allow this - think either shadow teams in Kane's Wrath or the parachute drop in Red Alert/2 RA2. I think if the original base game doesn't remain innovative, firestorm is going to take over as the successor eventually.

I'm sure someone has already modelled the coms centre, it's just not something implemented into the game or perhaps the model isn't a ready asset for anyone to put onto a map.

• Like 1

I'd keep Commander as is and use the Comm C. as a feature in certain maps to allow every player to use non-buff type support powers as items you can purchase only by having the Comm C. online. 

So a Scout flare., Cruise flare. (maybe one has just enough to kill an Elite Med-Tank if a direct hit. ) and an EMP Flare. 

Timing is everything to use these effectively. 

Replaces the Timed C4.

But if a map doesn't have Comm C. then it shouldn't have the items. 
No altering of the OldRen maps but other maps is up to the mappers discretion. 

17 hours ago, R315r4z0r said:

Backup reinforcements. When advanced infantry structures (HoN/Barr), as well as vehicle production structures (WF/AS) are destroyed, you are still given the ability to upgrade/purchase low-tier units/vehicles. This is done for balance reasons and I'm 100% onboard with this. However, I believe that we should reclassify these units as "reinforcements." These reinforcements would be tied to the Comm Center. So, for instance, if GDI loses their WF but retains their Comm Center, they can call in vehicles from off the map at an increased price and production time. But if they lose their Comm Center as well, all vehicle production would become impossible.

I like this as a concept

instead of them being entirely not possible to airdrop in vehicles why not make it instead if the comm center is destroyed the airdropt vehicles will randomly spawn around the base and somewhat close if not a bit to the entrance/battlefield of the map for example.

walls ya comp center is down ya call in a vehicle it could spawn close to the tib field on ya factions side nobody can steal it for a couple of seconds but if ya dont get it in time someone else will get it that is the risk ya take from requesting and airdrop of a vehicle there will still be smoke displayign where it will land but it can be anywhere close to the base.

allterntaively make the vehicle crates also tied to the comp center.unless its a vehicle from the future they will get airdropt in with a message depanding on faction nod picks a nod vehicle kanes forces and found a and old vehicle/normal vehicle in there storages and are airdropping it in. if ya get an enemy vehicle nods froces have stolen a gdi vehicle its getting airdropt in