Why this game needs direct download link for game installations

BoBNice

Ok, I was trying to download the game this entire week, thanks to my friend internet with 100Kb/S max speed (But mostly stable).

And I found this installer is so bad, so here are why the developers shouldn't waste their time on it.

After downloading the installer for the 1st time, it asks you to download the game, you notice that there is no Pause button, no refresh button and even stop downloading button does not close the installer probably (it's just make it unresponsive until windows ask to close it).

Sometimes If you just disconnected from internet for fukn 1 second and reconnected to it, the installer stops downloading forcing you to close and reopen it (it happened many times already). (I'am looking at my installer with 0 download speed ATM)

if you closed the installer then you are going to download about 300-500 Mb again (this and the pervious bug made me waste a lot of time).

I had to search for direct download link but I didn't found any working links

https://renegade-x-download.com

Is not working anymore

So what I want to point at why the dev just upload the installation files or full game and provide nice direct download link?

I mean I 'am using Internet download manger (IDM) to download whatever I like from the internet even in larger sizes and yep, its problem free

If the Dev's provided a Direct link it will also support resume (Even Internet explorer can resume if its direct link) and they won't waste time on the development of the installer

And if they uploaded as RAR parts it will be great because if someone got corrupted archive, he wouldn't need to download it from the beginning

Man even uTorrent works better than this installer

In short: Can dev's provide direct download link or not and why?

Edited by BoBNice

Hello BoBNice,

If the Launcher crash or you stop it because your Download tends to stop getting to slow or whatever,

and you have to restart the Launcher, then the Download did not start from Null ...

it checks what is downloaded and what Files are missed and only download the missed Files then.

so nothing is wasted.

Btw. Developers are working on an new Launcher.

2 hours ago, Try-Out said:

Hello BoBNice,

If the Launcher crash or you stop it because your Download tends to stop getting to slow or whatever,

and you have to restart the Launcher, then the Download did not start from Null ...

it checks what is downloaded and what Files are missed and only download the missed Files then.

so nothing is wasted.

Btw. Developers are working on an new Launcher.

i didnt say it started from zero i just said that it when ever i resume i have to download 300 - 500 Mb

Thats no problem for a normal person with normal internet but when you have 100Kb/s internet speed thats going to hurt

2 hours ago, BoBNice said:

Update:

Now this shit stopped at 99:49% wtf

i guess i have to restart agien

I think that maybe at 99.49% it starts a huge external extraction process for which there is no progress feedback.
So you're like "Oh, last little step!" but then it starts up this huge operation that could take like half an hour or sumthin.

I may be wrong but maybe you should just try to wait a little longer.

On 7/21/2020 at 10:49 AM, DugeHick said:

I think that maybe at 99.49% it starts a huge external extraction process for which there is no progress feedback.
So you're like "Oh, last little step!" but then it starts up this huge operation that could take like half an hour or sumthin.

I may be wrong but maybe you should just try to wait a little longer.

The problem when you say ""huge"" external extraction process is people well notice ""huge"" usage of their PC resources' such CPU, Disk speed and RAM.

it's like when u download repacked game where the system is almost unresponsive to you unless it finishes or you stop the repack

The problem is the usage is 0%, the installer is just not doing anything, it's just like when its 40% and for some reason it stopped downloading.

I really hate it when people just defend bad thing, such this installer.

I still think giving direct download link is better cuz its faster, better, resume-able, not need to more work on it.

Anyway it was a hard time but I managed to install the game 🤗🤗 

11 hours ago, BoBNice said:

The problem when you say ""huge"" external extraction process is people well notice ""huge"" usage of their PC resources' such CPU, Disk speed and RAM.

it's like when u download repacked game where the system is almost unresponsive to you unless it finishes or you stop the repack

The problem is the usage is 0%, the installer is just not doing anything, it's just like when its 40% and for some reason it stopped downloading.

I still think giving direct download link is better cuz its faster, better, resume-able, not need to more work on it.

Understood

I really hate it when people just defend bad thing, such this installer.

Noted

Anyway it was a hard time but I managed to install the game 🤗🤗 

So how in the world did you get it to install this time?
Did it help to wait a little longer? Please inform.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 9:47 PM, DugeHick said:

Understood

Noted

So how in the world did you get it to install this time?
Did it help to wait a little longer? Please inform.

Just repeated it 3 times until it passed the point.

Anyway Thanks for the responding, i was frustrated because i have bad internet.

Its not problem anymore, but i was asking and still asking why the devs are not providing the fans with direct download link (TBH i prefer if its updated regulary with each update), then the game update if there is any missing updates

The problem in this is that you need 1.5 internet size of the game (if the game size is about 10GB than they will need 15GB) for the DEVs they provided direct file of the game (1) and the update if someone's game is outdated and need to be updated

yo its just suggestion so...

Edited by BoBNice
spell

4 hours ago, BoBNice said:

Just repeated it 3 times until it passed the point.

OK good to know, thank you for feeding that back.
If you don't mind, please also inform how long exactly you waited for it to finish at each attempt.

i was frustrated because i have bad internet.

I figured, and I sympathize.
There are a lot of things in the world that *should* be better. Yet they're not. :( 

I think it's really good that you're aware of that emotion, because sometimes people do take offense.

Also, the unpaid dev may experience an inverted effect on their motivation when being told that their work is bad.
In which case the act of taking out your frustrations on them may actually make the problem worse. Because they no longer want to work on it.

i was asking and still asking why the devs are not providing the fans with direct download link (TBH i prefer if its updated regulary with each update), then the game update if there is any missing updates

The problem in this is that you need 1.5 internet size of the game (if the game size is about 10GB than they will need 15GB) for the DEVs they provided direct file of the game (1) and the update if someone's game is outdated and need to be updated

yo its just suggestion so...

Yes I hear you.

From what I gather here, installing from direct download proved to carry it's own problems with it.
Something to do with Windows permissions and all.

So that's one of the bigger reasons why they designed the launcher in the first place. To mitigate such issues.
As such, I'm pretty sure that the team would very strongly prefer to fix the launcher instead of providing a DDL.

Nevertheless, human error is a thing, and I do agree that there should be some kind of a plan B for the user *just in case*.

Perhaps the DDL page could prompt the user to provide feedback before they get to download the file.
This way, the team knows that there is a problem in the first place and can get to fixing it. Meanwhile you are enabled to play with us.

I will be taking this idea up in my new suggestions list for 2020.
It will be looked at and genuinely considered.

If you have any more issues in the future, please do report this but refrain as much as possible from acting out your frustrations on others.
Realize that we're literally just people like you, spending our free time passionately tinkering with stuff and playing our favourite game.
Most are professionals, while others are not necessarily.

I hope you are satisfied with this answer, and I wish you a great Renegade-X experience. :)

Edited by DugeHick

• Totem Arts Staff

As the main developer of the TotemArts launchers, I can say that we are currently very near releasing a new launcher which should mitigate most issues had by the current launcher.

Although the new launcher will still have cases where it gets stuck at a certain percentage, this is not as common anymore as before and even these issues are now combat-able as even the network code has been written from scratch. Unlike the previous launcher, the new launcher makes sure that after a shutdown of the program, the maximum data that has to be redownloaded can be 1MB per in-progress file.

Expect this new launcher to come out in the coming week(s).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, SonnyX said:

As the main developer of the TotemArts launchers, I can say that we are currently very near releasing a new launcher which should mitigate most issues had by the current launcher.

Although the new launcher will still have cases where it gets stuck at a certain percentage, this is not as common anymore as before and even these issues are now combat-able as even the network code has been written from scratch.

Expect this new launcher to come out in the coming week(s).

Fantastic, Sonny!!!! Looking forward.

To me personally the launcher already offers a supersmooth experience, I've been quite impressed with it so far.
So it will be a pure joy to see it get improved even more and to possibly iron out those last kinks.