Community Event: Organised Play - Custom Maps Feedback

Fffreak9999

• Totem Arts Staff

About paradise, the map is interesting to play but you have to play it with 64 players not less...

Island X is cool ! the new medic center bring an interesting gameplay feature to my eyes..

Forest, I think this map has a potential. our team fought hard on it lol

Steppe, we was 11 v 11... definitively need more players ahah

Also, we can't close our eyes on all the annoying problems with the download and crashes... well in a way I don't understand because you just have to replace 1 file, it's pretty easy..  But I can feel the people on that problem.

Cool to see devs taking interest for custom maps.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad these maps have had some play tests now, I didn't encounter any serious problems with any of them. The event seemed to go mostly smoothly, a few map loading issues and a few team switching delays, but nothing huge.

I had to wait a while for the Paradise map to load and it crashed at least once I felt despite downloading it in advance from the file. I enjoyed this map the most and I look forward to seeing it in action on a public game, I think a lot of people are going to enjoy it and there will be a lot of new strategies once people become familiar with it's winding paths and tunnel networks.

I liked the new rope bridges and route on Islands X, never had much chance to experience how the med centre works, but I'm not keen on playing more dimly lit maps as I prefer the few that have sunshine like Walls and Islands, as they aren't so depressing.

Steppe is a very good looking Tiberian Sun era map and Forests seems like a nice small map similar to Tomb or Walls in some ways only with trees.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Killertomate said:

too many system crash problems

I can only say in regards to Paradise, that (and possibly Forest's and Steppe's) its memory consumption mandates the use of the 64-bit Renegade X client. You see Windows in general only allocates a 3 GB address space to 32-bit processes, which large maps such as Outposts, Tunnels, Desolation and others can exceed, especially if you are playing with a high resolution (Full HD / WQHD / UHD). In some cases such a crash would happen immediately on map load, while in other instances it crashes only after a few minutes. Paradise in that regard is an extremely detailed map, with many more actors than any of its peers, so much so, the x64 client is basically mandatory.

Additionally said maps were tested with bots, but those cannot realistically substitute real, live players...

My other observation with Paradise: I've merely observed fffreak's stream, and cannot help, but notice how Paradise was won by the team, which had players who were actually familiar with that map. I think that round ended prematurely because of that tremendous advantage. I do make a note here to myself, to improve the navigation on that map by a more well thought sign system...

• Like 2

My other observation with Paradise: I've merely observed fffreak's stream, and cannot help, but notice how Paradise was won by the team, which had players who were actually familiar with that map. I think that round ended prematurely because of that tremendous advantage. I do make a note here to myself, to improve the navigation on that map by a more well thought sign system...

We ALL had opportunity to explore the map prior to the game whilst some were sorting out their technical map issues and Fffreak even made a point of saying navigate using the M key during the real game which many of us must have already been doing anyway. Once the other team lost their power plant to whomever managed to defend their nuke, things snowballed from there, but we had an earlier attack on it that still that threatened to take it down. I think many realised this is one of the most vulnerable buildings on the map. Map is so big I have no idea how everything else was destroyed. I agree that clear signs are going to be a good idea here.

Even with a 64-bit client I had trouble loading straight into the Paradise map with a very good spec machine, I hadn't tested the map before the pug, but I've played it before and I expected all the pre-compiled assets Fffreak sorted out to work.  

23 minutes ago, Mystic~ said:

We ALL had opportunity to explore the map prior to the game whilst some were sorting out their technical map issues and Fffreak even made a point of saying navigate using the M key during the real game which many of us must have already been doing anyway.

To be fair, it is not as trivial as you imply it to be :) 

The Power Plant was nuked from a spot one would not normally come across often. (Will probably implement superweapon blocking volumes there, so to reserve that path strictly for infiltration).

23 minutes ago, Mystic~ said:

Even with a 64-bit client I had trouble loading straight into the Paradise map with a very good spec machine, I hadn't tested the map before the pug, but I've played it before and I expected all the pre-compiled assets Fffreak sorted out to work.  

Please feel free to seek me out on the RenX Discord, and we shall see what we can do.

I don't think putting superweapon blocks in the maintenance tunnels is a solution, the tunnels exist to create a more exterior method of attacking a building which is otherwise not exposed. The map was designed to also implement auto-defence ceiling turrets, as we know script loss has caused this feature to disappear. The maintenance tunnel is supposed to contain an auto-turret, and 2 ceiling turrets are designed to operate outside the 2 main doors to the power plant.

In time, players will be aware of the superweapon tunnel location. What I would rather implement are wider maintenance tunnels, such that allies can pass each other when walking through them. A “force first person” volume wouldn’t go a miss 😉

• Thanks 2

• Totem Arts Staff

I want to use this opportunity to thank the Dev team and everyone, who organized it and/or participated for playing on my map. It is currently the only really playtest under normal circumstances and it is very helpful for me to see how my map plays out. Playtests like this provides some information, that are the base of balancing a map right, before the normal player get's to play them in a serious game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2