MCV/Conyard Prototype

[B]Veyron

Hi.

my second personal project consisted of the 2 C&C tib dawn manual images which shows the MCV and a certain scale with an infantry unit and a  Conyard with a certain scale to an infantry unit.  The goal was to recreate the two as best as possible to correspond to these scales.  It didn't quite workout as intended as the finished scaled conyard came out a bit small so I played around with sizes to try to fit to what I thought was an appropriate scale.  

The goal here is to take what I learned with animation and imports from C&C3 material and make the MCV deployable into the  conyard.  Likely something like this would be discarded away from gameplay as it would have probably no use at all regarding gameplay mechanics. 

But the idea is to deploy the MCV and be able to walk around inside the conyard.  I need to explain a few things first.

1: here in 3dsmax I created a cylinder with 14 sides ( all my cylinders have 14 sides whether this is bad or good IDK I just build the model how I saw fit but if there is something better PLEASE! LET ME KNOW I am always looking for alternatives) in order for me to make the interior what I had seen was a boolean function where one could subtract a shape using another shape where in this instance I used a rectangle to subtract the portion of the cylinder I didn't want. 

2: saw a video how to make a general interior was to flip the geometry faces and then backface cull to reveal the interior as you see with the green shape to the far right.  I had to delete some faces which would have acted as interior walls blocking certain paths inside.  My objective here is to build some sort of system which will allow one to walk inside the crane and see the player "driving" the conyard which the "driver" will be able to operate the crane which has yet to be designed.  probably a high end repair gun or something..

3: unsure how to make an exterior.  haven't imported the building yet but each shape so far in max acts as a solid material not sure how to proceed... also had to extrude a face here to make a little more room for a doorway.  

4: when I made the 2 domes I used a tube for the long overhang and trimmed some geometry/faces and two spheres for the back part.  there is one sphere for the exterior in which I connected vertices to the overhang to make a "connection" of the geometry and I made another sphere for the interior in which I flipped the faces and then backface culled said sphere to reveal the faces that were hidden from me.  same thing here trimmed the geometry/ got rid of what I thought was unneeded faces and made connections with vertices to the INTERIOR portion of the tube/overhang.  

I gotta think what my next goal should be but I am thinking towards the crane design and then the generator in the back.  

let me know what you think! 

vertices here include everything in the setting including the havoc model I used as well as multiple other geometrical pieces like a few copies of the MCV I am working with.  

CYMCV2.jpg

F111ACT.jpg

MCV.jpg

MCVCY1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

did up a design of the crane here.   NOTE the verts in the one pic represents the mcv and conyard together there is nothing else besides the two.

also a heap of problems with overlapping geometry it seems inside UDK most likely because that's what I used on some parts especially the large bay door was a union of a cylinder and a rectangle but I eliminated some faces before I unioned them together. :S

last pic is  a size of the conyard wrt other buildings.

fetettt.jpg

eeeee.jpg

ingame.jpg

size.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Like your endeavours!

Would be cool if you could design the Conyard in a way that you can tell how it was built/transformed from the MCV, e.g. by using materials that could be easily stored and preparaed in the MCV.

Or perhaps something like this: crane, tyres, or parts of the mcv are still visible in final CY:

Tiberium Sun:

buildup.gif

Tiberium Wars:

195?cb=20131129003630

latest?cb=20131127062309

I like the CY design in Tiberian Dawn, esp. compared to Renegade. It might be cool to only base a CY design for RenX on this concept, but design it with the functionality/background in-game in mind.

Good luck!

my thinking is to mimic this exact scene: trying to stick to vanilla concepts as much as possible.  

on the downside I still have some learning to do which equals more time

I guess what's important for me right now is trying to copy a reference image.  If I can remake an object with a good amount precision and it looks pretty decent then that's step 1 for me at the moment.  this will likely change as I learn more

Edited by ☢☢☢☢
  • Like 1

• [B]Veyron changed the title to MCV/Conyard Prototype
  • 2 weeks later...

didnt the old renegade have a fully meshed conyard in the singleplayer campaign?(the one where you assault the nod base that had the hand of nod.) you could use that as a reference?

there were even a few fan created maps in the old renegade that had working multiplayer conyards, that slowly repaired buildings over time. (i think it was something like 5-10% every 10 seconds healing)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, iridesence said:

didnt the old renegade have a fully meshed conyard in the singleplayer campaign?(the one where you assault the nod base that had the hand of nod.) you could use that as a reference?

there were even a few fan created maps in the old renegade that had working multiplayer conyards, that slowly repaired buildings over time. (i think it was something like 5-10% every 10 seconds healing)

to reply to this my intent is to replicate the Tiberium Dawn construction yard and to stray away from the old renegade designs.  this is still WIP and is on the back burner atm