Reasons to kick/ban a person from online multiplayer.

Chrisjh0223

Let's begin with the real life reasons, most of which are rather silly (but probably practical). Suppose you had to get ready for something important such as your job in a few minutes, and a server mod knew it. He would likely say in the kick message "reason for kick: Now stop playing video games and get back to work!" Now for those of you who know me well, when it's time for me to take my dog outside or make sure she gets a serving of dry food a server mod may say in the kick message "check on your dog." Now here's a VERY good reason, ANY real life emergency period. YagiHige once said (if I remember correctly) that he had to urgently leave a PUG due to flooding or something else in his hometown, so he voluntarily quit RenX that day; but you do realize that if plenty of tech was configured, a mod could kick him off with the kick message reading "check on your local neighbors urgently." There are many more real life reasons than these (this is a skim of the iceberg tip).

There are many in-game examples. If you're afk for over 5 minutes, you'll probably come back and see the following text on-screen: "Message from server: Kicked for idling." This happened to me once when I took a restroom break and got some water. Suppose somebody deliberately goes out of the map for at least 3 solid minutes (and depends on what he/she's doing such as sniping), what's a good time duration for a ban on the person's account? Or even a possible temporary IP ban? 24 hours? Maybe somewhere from 72 to 96 hours? I once accidentally placed a glitch beacon back in 2014 on EKT server, players found out it glitched shortly before the Beacon 10 second imminence. Nod players said "!ban Chrisjh0223" and I got hit with a 5 hour ban (at the least). I was allowed to get back on EKT later on.

For egregious violations, it doesn't take a moderator issued guideline worksheet to expect what may happen. Once when someone got a vehicle on a Goldrush infantry-only path, a person said "To whoever got a Stealth Tank on the infantry path, enjoy your 72 hour ban over the weekend." Cheating is frowned upon in EVERY online multiplayer game. There's a thread for Overwatch where cheaters whined about how they paid like, $70+ for cheater assets (IE aimbot) and got life banned as a result of thus cheating. Also, there's the instance of a life ban from Xbox (IE a result of tampering the Xbox hard drive with homebrew software for unfair advantages), the message will likely read "You've been suspended from Xbox LIVE. You won't be able to sign in to Xbox LIVE until 12/31/9999." So wow, Microsoft essentially puts the banhammer down by setting the date stamp to an extreme when the account holder has clearly passed away. Temporary suspensions also exist (such as 1 or 2 days, 7 days, or 14 days). If you're ever in question as to how long you're suspended, simply check out enforcement.xbox.com.

Speaking of video game bans, this reminds me of college & university bans. When you're in your last year of high school, teachers tell you what to expect in college. Some places may vary. A great deal of them expel you for life for even just one attempt at cheating. Others are more lenient, on first attempt you fail the test, second attempt you fail the course, and on third attempt they kick you out of the academic premises. So watch your behavior, as people desire a pleasant & fair learning environment. If you so much as assault a person on campus, a great deal of campuses ban the perpetrator for life from campus grounds. Oh, and don't expect any money back, as you did violate a bottomline rule, and you deserve to live with the consequences whether you cheated on college grounds or a video game world.

Do you have any reasons to kick or ban a person from a multiplayer game? Please post.

6 hours ago, Chrisjh0223 said:

Do you have any reasons to kick or ban a person from a multiplayer game? Please post.

There are plenty of reasons - cheating, impersonating, trolling, harassing, etc... ; these can be often found in the rules section of the forum.

Cheaters that whine about being banned usually do not bother reading the EULA.

off-topic: It might be somewhat weird, but I have this habit to get myself banned if I want to quit an online game for good. Such could be seen as a way to enforce self-control, I suppose. Still, I do not have any regrets for perma-quitting those games.

Edited by Jarzey