Tank headshots

dtdesign

Tank headshots are by far the weirdest mechanic in RenX to me, as they're non-aligned with the tank shell behavior and their random-based trigger. On second thought they're a bit like the removed headshots from flamethrower/chem, as these headshots are not skilled-based.

Certain maps show an increased amount of tank headshots, with Islands being the best example: GDI tanks sitting on GDI "bridge" (the vehicle exit at the river) shooting over the railings towards Nod base exit. Since this is a choke point when trying to reach the field, it happens every once in a while that an infantry gets hit in the face by a random shell crossing their path, instantly sending them back to spawn.

All though quite entertaining for the tank player, it leads to a significant amount of frustration for the infantry player that get instantly killed out of nowhere. Taking a couple shells to the chest? Nah, just some minor scratches. Hitting the head: Enjoy your respawn timer. Compare it to the sniper rifles that do kill on headshot, but also cause significant damage to the body when hit, whereas tank shells take the armor class into the account - except when hitting the face.

I would love to see tank headshots either be completely removed (= hits to the head count as body shots) or to have the armor class causing a damage reduction. Given the rather random occurrence of a tank headshot, it might be a good idea to remove them entirely though.

• Like 1

o.O I agree it's a bit frustrating but removing it entirely is like the worst thing i have ever heard about the tanks.. It has always been this way and i am pretty sure they won't change that. The chances of a tank headshotting you from across the map is like 2 out of the 10 times. Even at close range it's hard to get a headshot.. 

I really don't see the point of removing or nerfing it. Pretty sure the devs have other things on their minds. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtdesign said:

random-based trigger.

Eh, I beg to differ. They're tricky to pull off, but you can definitely headshot infantry on purpose with careful aiming. A lot the time it comes from players not moving, moving in one direction or peek-shooting in the exact same spot. In all cases its pretty easy to tell where your head will be so the rest is just timing. 

You'll can get randomly headshot sure, but this is pretty normal considering you can also get "lucky" headshots from playing infantry as well. The difference in rarity is simply since tanks tend to rely on splash most of the time, making it appear unfairly random.

5 hours ago, dtdesign said:

Certain maps show an increased amount of tank headshots, with Islands being the best example: GDI tanks sitting on GDI "bridge" (the vehicle exit at the river) shooting over the railings towards Nod base exit. Since this is a choke point when trying to reach the field, it happens every once in a while that an infantry gets hit in the face by a random shell crossing their path, instantly sending them back to spawn.

All though quite entertaining for the tank player, it leads to a significant amount of frustration for the infantry player that get instantly killed out of nowhere.

I would say, that's what you get for running into curtain fire, a higher chance in general getting a hit to the head. But even then the chance getting sniped is probably higher than getting a tank headshot. So I don't see a big frustration potential there getting a headshot by a tank once in a while. I remember, it was a lot easier in the original game to get a (directed) headshot by a tank and you also got more damage overall by tanks.

4 hours ago, dtdesign said:

Taking a couple shells to the chest? Nah, just some minor scratches.

If I would change something, then that tanks deal more damage to infantry again. From an infantry-perspective you should consider yourself lucky already, that it's not like in the orginal game, otherwise you would probably die much more often due to tanks. :P 

So I wouldn't remove tank headshots, even if it's often just coincidence, that are massive tank shells after all.

4 hours ago, poi ❄ said:

o.O I agree it's a bit frustrating [...]

Very sympathetic and that coming from you... xD 

• Like 2