Lumberyard

ShrewdTactician

Just a question that crossed my mind. So feel free to treat this as a question from someone who knows barely anything todo with game making.

With UDK being basically a dead engine at this point, and Renegade X still being in development, wouldn't it make sense to move the project to something like lumberyard?

Edited by craige1

I have deep appreciation for this game and every bit of effort it took to make it, it's a massive improvement on a nostalgic love.

However, he's not wrong. First off, wanting to make a new engine, could just might maybe, invoke the wrath of an EA C&D. Second off, EA limits the effort they can put into it, as far as "what they can publish to". Third off, rewriting on a new engine takes more manpower than they really have floating around the community.

In all those instances, "it'd make more sense to make a new game instead". New property, full control of publishing, possible new talent to help with it. Doesn't stop Ren-X from being played or updated in any way, it exists right now as it is, and it is what it is.

I think for what it is, Ren-X is in a good engine. I think it would be beneficial to convert to UE4 for longevity sake, but I don't think there should be talks of that till there is a 1.0 version of the game finally.

Once we have the balance down, and a firm idea of where to go with things, it would make converting much easier in the long run. Maybe by that point I'd know enough about coding to pitch in.

Edited by Hohndo

From what I understand, and you can correct me if you want, UE4 uses some sort of C, and UE3 uses UnrealScript. To code it, would require actual rebuilding code for vehicles and armor values, literal re-implementation of code.

For models, I know another UE3 project that was able to port assets. The models and textures, may need tweaking for glossiness, but would be the easiest part. The code's just incompatible, if it were an update to an old engine, there'd be little excuse.