How To Edit Volume "Exponential Height Fog"

RoundShades

I'm working on a minimap, that doesn't let me get an overhead with obscure exponential height fog. It appears to be a geometry volume, but I cannot edit it, in geometry mode, in wireframe view, can't even select it, cannot delete it, and am unaware of a method to turn off fog for whole map in editor.

If another mapper here, would answer how they'd edit such a volume in their hands, I'd be appreciative. Or, if it were locked, how one would select or unlock it, so they could edit such a volume. Or even how to turn off fog.

Please, and thank you.

The fog can be created in 3 different ways and thus selectable in 3 different ways;

1. The fog is an exponential height volume, turn off by pressing F (or select the eagle head and turn it off there)
  2. The fog is a fog actor, turn off by pressing F (or select the eagle head and turn it off there)
  3. The fog is a 'fog material' applied to a static mesh, turn off by:
    1. Going to the view tab
    2. Make sure 'select transparency' is on
    3. Fly towards the fog you wish to turn off in perspective mode
    4. Select the fog
    5. Hide the selected actor in view by either temporary deleting or preferably just use 'hide in view'

Thats it. Good luck

p.s. make sure the unwanted 'fog' you're talking about is not an emitter (just a tip) because then you'd have to hide the emitter

I was so mad that I couldn't figure out how to even map-editor a block of fog, and how simple it ended up being, that I wasted an additional 3 hours making a video of it. I'll get started on the minimap for reals soon. Just covering a lot of extra shifts at work lately.

• Totem Arts Staff

Yea i totally forget the fuckn "F" button for turn the fuckn fog off - fuck!

This Video shows the same situation me at school at learning programming and other things. Thumps up for this Video! x)

thanks for your effort Yagi!

Edited by DaKuja

2 hours ago, YagiHige said:

I was so mad that I couldn't figure out how to even map-editor a block of fog, and how simple it ended up being, that I wasted an additional 3 hours making a video of it. I'll get started on the minimap for reals soon. Just covering a lot of extra shifts at work lately.

I don't quite understand the reason for posting this.. I mean, I told you how you can get rid of these 'blocks' (they're fog but just very dense, so they seem to be blocks) 

Pressing F toggles the 'show fog' in the editor
Futher explanation is in my top post..

Are you able to continue now or not?

Oh, I am. I was just mad that it happened. I am able to continue, once time permits. Time is really the biggest constraint, I didn't have time for the map to not work with me. It's also reminiscent of Thommy's map's problems from top-down view, like the original minimap before I blended some surfaces by hand in PaintDotNet.
artifacts2.png