The problem with Field

Quinc3y

Problem:

We all know how stale-matey Field was. But after the new patch that nerfed hotwires and techs, it's even worse. Since hotties and techs can no longer buy smoke grenades, it is impossible to reach AGT, WF, GDI Ref and Nod Ref solo. Which means there are even fewer possibilities do destroy a building on this map and break the stale mate.

There is still technically a possibility to sneak to Airstrip, but with a full server you need to be extremely lucky not to get spotted. Other than that, GDI has a med rush and inf rushes. Nod players cannot accomplish anything solo, there is only a stank rush (maybe 1 in 10 works and only if GDI doesn't control field) and inf rushes. There are also spies, but both bases are small and there aren't many places to hide a nuke and also not many ways to enter enemy base as a spy, so they rarely work.

In other words, to destroy a building you need a lot of teamwork. It sounds interesting and challenging, but in reality it is only good for PUGs. On public servers you are lucky to have 5 people answering to your calls on teamchat and it gets really frustrating.

This is not so much of a problem on AOW, because you can just fight with vehicles for 40 minutes... but yeah, this is also not my favourite thing. Especially how the vehicle area is boring and GDI is so much stronger there. But on marathon public games, the gameplay is terrible and I quickly get irritated. Such games are only good for snipers, people who like to fool around as infantry in the tunnels and newbies learning to play the game. Most games end via voting map change.

My proposed solutions:

Short-term solution:

Make it possible for characters to buy smoke and EMP grenades when having control of the silo. This would at least reduce the stale-mate-ness to the state before patch, but it wouldn't change the map itself. Additionaly, it would also make silo more important, since it lost its strategic value after the new patch.

Long-term solution:

Expand the map. Add a new vehicle route, that would start between Bar and WF on GDI side and end in Airstrip area on Nod side. Expand infantry tunnels accordingly. That would be a competely new Field, with many more tactics possible. OR: remove AGT and Obelisk, perhaps add some GTs instead. That would also work for more exciting gameplay.

I know that the long-term solution needs a lot more work, but yeah... I would love our devs to work on what I think is the worst map that is only good for practice and maybe some fooling around, but not for proper Renegade X :P

• Totem Arts Staff

The fact that a map nigh un-winnable without one item (that wasn't even around till like beta 4) speaks volumes about said map more than anything. Hell... even with smoke Field was a definite bore-fest.

Granted, give it time, we'll see if anyone learns how to just mix units, so Officers and snipers actually use the shit they have. Right now nobody reads, so most people don't even know what they have in their inventories.

I won't add it next patch, but I'll keep adding back single-use grenades to the item menu on the back-burner.

I belive the so called problem with field is it's design which requires higher level of cooperation between teammates. Granted, the chokepoints, and the small arena for tank battles can be blamed for the stalemate. Players just can't work as a team when they can't shoot themself through the enemy easely. I think the devs should enhance the ways of communications, with hand gesture animations, and with much better and useful voice commands. Still, I think teamspeak is the best solution.

Field is always like a game of Monopoly. You all vote to play it, sure. But 3 hours into it, everyone wants to flip the board over and just walk the fuck away.

Which is odd, it isn't the patch's fault considering it was like that before, and every other map since the patch has seen lower play times with much higher building lethality. This is the only map.

Some suggestions include, adding a powerplant where the AGT can't defend the door from infantry behind the Bar/Air, split off access between infantry paths and/or extend infantry paths, add a divide in base entrances between bunker and waterfall path so vehicles leverage their way out, or simply add more infantry cover to bases that already exist.

All this update proves about Field, is the map is too rigged against you having LOS on enough buildings from field as vehicles, or being able to ever lay eyes on an enemy MCT.