Still able to buy certain units after Barracks destroyed

BetaWolf

Was in a game earlier. By pure chance, I accidentally clicked on the Characters menu the millisecond our Barracks got destroyed. This happened:

BdytZCQ.jpg

Throughout the remainder of the match, I still had access to Officer, Rocket Soldier, and McFarland. The units I could not afford (had less than 1000 credits when we lost the Barr) disappeared the very next time I opened the Characters menu.

fYJFCJA.jpg

I just hope someone doesn't find out how to exploit this to continue using SBH and Hotwire/Technician.

Edited by Guest

Weird. I don't know if you will get them if you had the money to buy it, but it has to be looked into it to be sure.

Edit: in the first pic you have over 1k credits and the chars stayed gray. I guess it's just a weird bug.

• Totem Arts Staff

That's ... super fringe case. If they can pull it off at the exact millisecond every time just to try and get a unit... I'm all for giving kudos. I also don't think it would actually work even if they didn't

....And I'm not sure, but you are aware those top 3 infantry are supposed to be available even without a Barracks, right ?

Edit: in the first pic you have over 1k credits and the chars stayed gray. I guess it's just a weird bug.

That is because, it checks for "if live barracks in play = true" to dish out characters. To stop people from cheating the UI somehow and the game allowing it, it would deny the purchase request server-side. It would be grossly negligent coding to just "make the icons not show up" when bar is dead but still allow purchase to happen.

But the icons staying, is a UDK-latency issue. You can fire in what appears to be a cloaked stealth tank, when it is only stealthed clientside and not serverside. That glitch was REALLY cool, until realized it doesn't show as cloaked to other players. Still made a video about it.

At least they are cosmetic bugs. UDK has enough latency dependent bugs that are effectual, like the Mammy Tank firing 3-4 shells at once because latency didn't subtract one from your ammo (fixed mostly next update).

....And I'm not sure, but you are aware those top 3 infantry are supposed to be available even without a Barracks, right ?

He sounded like he knew, but to reinterate what Yosh said, Officers, Rocket Soldiers, McFarlands, and Chem, are all available in the death of the Bar/HoN, at twice the cost. And an additional twice the cost if the PP is also dead.

The real penalty for losing Bar/HoN, is being unable to replace characters with proxy c4. After bar/hon die, and the enemy kills every last Hotwire/Tech, then you no longer have access to proxy mines or good repairs. That'll be what gets you every time...

Also, if you lose WF/Airstrip, you can still buy humvees and APCs for twice the cost, and another double if PP is dead. The real loss there, is Nod Arty/Flamer and GDI MRLS/Med.