Time for action! - Please read

suchconquer

Seeing as the community's numbers are dwindling overall and the dev team is increasingly incapable to support the game(certainly no disrespect intended!), I think it's time to actively get Renegade X on people's radar. Not only to attract new gamers, but also new staff (coders, artists, mappers, PR etc).

My idea is to buy pixel advertisement on a certain Dogecoin (cryptocurrency) campaign website. The campaign is currently getting enough attention from it's community to make Renegade X visible to a wider audience.(http://dogecoinonthemoon.com/)

Let's find opportunities to bring Renegade X into the wide world. Search for campaigns that get publicity. Share on those campaigns vids of Renegade X gameplay. The #JustDoItUp vid, for example. We, the community, are now the only people who can keep this game alive and kicking.

When there are more people playing this game the amount of cheaters/hackers will increase. Before we get a working anti-cheat module and global ban system, I don't think attracting too many players is a good idea.

Let's find opportunities to bring Renegade X into the wide world. Search for campaigns that get publicity. Share on those campaigns vids of Renegade X gameplay. The #JustDoItUp vid, for example. We, the community, are now the only people who can keep this game alive and kicking.

This is true. However, I disagree on methods.

Every community member should share this game with their social circle and social media for sure.

Also, all the people learning Unreal and modding this game right now, are doing a great service. Yosh and Hande are some good guys in that field, and the fact Unreal is a fairly documented thing to learn from online is good.

There is a push for upcoming frequent balance adjustment by the mods. If all goes well, that will keep the game fresh and fix things that turn people away.

Kenz and the mapping staff are putting in a lot of time and effort too. I am glad we have so many classic maps in the game now. City Flying has given mappers trouble and failed in development on multiple occasions, but when we get that I predict interest in RenX to spike just for that occasion. We have many chances ahead to build community and playerbase.

We just gotta keep strong and aggressive in the passion for this game. My friends are taking a break from online gaming, they actually having internet issues last month or two, else I'd have them play regularly with me because they loved old Ren.

When there are more people playing this game the amount of cheaters/hackers will increase. Before we get a working anti-cheat module and global ban system, I don't think attracting too many players is a good idea.

This isn't true, most servers that host, also have server operators, admins, and moderators that lurk on IRC when not ingame. There are frequent server announcements on how to contact one, how to start a record demo, and how to votekick. That is a fair amount of self-moderating power, enough to run effectively.

Not yet. Wait until the game leaves the beta stage so people might not potentially think it's still bugged to some greater extent, as people in other threads said.

Also don't advertise it on huge websites. Personally I wouldn't like to be overwhelmed by complete amateurs who might not adapt for even a couple of weeks. They would also not be able to witness real gameplay and be more likely to leave.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont believe cheating is the main reason ren x has a low player count. I do believe it is part of the reason but definitely not the biggest. The main reasons, I believe, for renx's low player count are: (in no particular order)

1. The fact that it is still in development (no ones fault, just where the games at right now)

2. The fact that there is no real advertisement for it (cant really advertise with no money, so again no ones fault)

3. Maybe the most important, the fact that renx has a really hard learning curve

The first two are kinda self explanatory, but the third i will clarify just in case. (I am speaking about casual gamers here not pros) Today most shooters, popular shooters, the player can pick up almost any weapon, play any way they like and still be good at the game. They dont have to think about team work or how can I help my team better (they can but it is not even close to mandatory), all they have to do is shoot the enemy and get kills.

Yes some games have objectives, like bf4 and cod, but these dont force u to play completely different, they just push you slightly towards teamwork. No one hates you for killing the enemy team all the time in those games and not helping with the objectives (unless ur camping or trolling). In these games kills usually determine the winner, usually. This being said, it is very easy for any casual player to pick up the game and be good at it. If u can aim and kill welcome aboard.

This is not the same in Renegade. Yes the controls are easy, yes getting kills are easy (depends whos doin the killiing lol) but in Ren it is not all about the kills. This game can not be won by 1 solder going around killing people, yes it can help sometimes, but only if the situation calls for it. There is a lot more team play in this game and new players are not used to that. Most casual players dont want to think about strategy these days (strategy not tactics, two different things). This accompanied by pros who will punish them at every turn for not using teamwork (enemy punishment, not teammate) will cause most new players to dislike the game.

It takes some time to get use to strategies in renx and im not just talking about forming rushes either. knowing what unit to buy and when is also very important. Knowing how to counter certain units and even knowing that "hey if I repair my allies arty it is pretty much stronger than any other tank" type of tactics are not day one type of things, it takes time to learn these.

These things could easily turn most casual fps players away from the game, it is just too different from the norm (which i personally love).

Advertising would be good, but I somewhat agree with BroTranquilty - supposedly there are changes coming with tutorials and stuff making the game more enjoyable for both new people and old ones (e.g. less overmining)

What would be ideal is to get the Beta3 playerbase back with the upcoming changes, then "hold out" until the 4 greatest bugs* are fixed, and then we are good to go.

*SBH fly bug, disarmable C4/floating mines bug, remote/timed/proxy c4 bug on refill, weapons not shooting bug

There are plans for content, patching, bugfixing, and gameplay modifications, that should all 4 bring a beta 3 playerbase.

But oddly enough, I never seen 3 out of 4 of those bugs before. the 4th one isn't as big a problem, as the other things can fix.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the rather rapid balance adjustments being made wouldn't bring at least the temporarily departed dedicated old players back.