Original Renegade

Truxa

So I installed the original Renegade again. Since my hardware upgrade I payed attention to RenX and not to the old ren, but here is the thing:

I got the original Renegade on 2 CDs and for me to play it, I must insert the data CD. I'll hapily do that to play ofcourse, but I know that when you buy and/or download the First Decade pack, a CD isn't needed! :o So what I was wondering is, is there a LEGAL way (so no cracks/hacks and the likes!) to bypass that "Insert Data CD" message?

I'm in no way promoting illegal use of software, but someone mentioned to me before and provided a download link to The First Decade, using my genuine serial number allows me to install and play Renegade without the need of a CD. But this is using pirated software, which I don't like.

Any old-ren vets that can help me here? Or am I just stuck with the "Insert Data CD"?

It worked! Well, atleast the game doesnt ask for a CD anymore as it sees the iso as the CD. Need to play to see if the cinematics between missions are working and if online play is possible.

However, the program I used took 10 hours and 16 minutes to create an ISO from a CD holding 556MB data. Are there any faster programs or is there a hardware limitation for this issue?

EDIT:

It all checked out, worked like a charm.

About the slow program, it was the CD. When doing this same trick with another game's DVD (6.8GB) it only took 30 minutes.

Dude, if it takes you 10 fucking hours to make an .iso, you must have a CD drive from the 90s.

Also >moralfagging about pirating a game owned by EA when it'd be immoral to buy it and give them money

It's not the CD drive ... As I also mentioned, a DVD holding 14 times more data was completed in under 15 minutes! Maybe the CD's read-speed was slowed to the age-of-the-CD's-timeperiod?

But you are right though, buying games from EA is kinda immoral :P though my point is about advocating pirating on this website. It's not the place to do that.

Lastly, use your common sense: Don't be an idiot and try and test the rules- You know what they mean. For example: If you are uncertain as to what immaturity is, and why it can be an unlikeable quality, then ask your mother- Not us.

I believe this covers the topic, in my opinion, it IS "common sense" not to advocate piracy.

This is the last word I'll speak of it and kindly ask a moderator to close this topic.

Here is my interpretation of the term "Common Sense".

If you think the topic subject is illegal, don't talk about it. If it is part of your countries law that prohibits piracy, don't advocate it. If you feel that certain topics do not belong on this forum, do not post them. If you feel you aid someone else in breaking the law or breaking the forum rules, don't do it.

I could keep going on writing this down, but I THINK that when a mod comes here to "clarify" the meaning of "Common Sense", it could be used as a ground of precedence e.g. "You failed to define the term "Common Sense" to include your implied rule, in the topic "Original Renegade" posted on Monday October 6th.

This isn't a court system! There isn't clarification needed as "Common Sense" should be (no pun intended) common sense in it's meaning.

If you think the topic subject is illegal, don't talk about it.

So should we not talk about people murdering others? That's illegal.

If it is part of your countries law that prohibits piracy, don't advocate it.

Please show me a law that prohibits advocating breaking a law.

If you feel that certain topics do not belong on this forum, do not post them.

>Everything Else

If you feel you aid someone else in breaking the law or breaking the forum rules, don't do it.

And if I feel the law is unjust? I do agree with the forum rules, though, as it's a free service that I don't have to have.

I could keep going on writing this down, but I THINK that when a mod comes here to "clarify" the meaning of "Common Sense", it could be used as a ground of precedence e.g. "You failed to define the term "Common Sense" to include your implied rule, in the topic "Original Renegade" posted on Monday October 6th.

This isn't a court system! There isn't clarification needed as "Common Sense" should be (no pun intended) common sense in it's meaning.

Herein lies the problem. You basically don't have an argument for advocating pirating a game being against the rules. Other than it being against your personal morality, of course.

My interpretation of common sense is not to do anything that could get the forum in trouble, such as posting illegal material. I have done nothing of the sort. I have stated that I believe it's unethical not to pirate C&C games. I have not posted links to torrents or even mentioned sites to download them from. Though, I do believe that's not even illegal. If I'm wrong, please show me a law that says "It is illegal to provide links to pirated software".

I actually have 2 sets of CDs with 2 product codes. The one I bought back at release, well, the CD holder in the package was too tight I presume, it cracked my CD enough for it to be unreadable. The 2nd set I got with a package with Red Alert 2 + expansion and Tiberium Sun + expansions. Thankfully they came in paper/plastic see-through CD holders to they are fairly undamaged.