Question about classic maps that been remade

omega79

• Totem Arts Staff
Complex and Under are in the works.

Complex is roughly 75% done. Under has a long way to go still.

Working my ass off on Under for you folks, I'd say at least at 50% now.

Fixed a major issue that's been plaguing landscapes for me and good to go again.

New Under will feature a silo too. -flameshield on-

• Totem Arts Staff

I think someone posted a picture which was pretty much spot on.

It's on the vehicle route, above on the ramp, buried into the mountain.

The infantry section will get a new route leading up to it as well.

I was a top-tier clanwar player and hated/hate Marathon games. When I log on to play, I don't like the idea of having to play in a single game for hours. This is in contrast to 30 minute games where I know I won't be required to sit extended amounts of time with a possibility of no outcome. In the original, against other top-tier opponents, you had to play differently. You'd do stuff like jump out of tanks right before they died to keep the other faction from getting the points from the vehicle kill. It didn't get much more chaotic than the last few seconds of a Clanwar where you and the opposing team were neck and neck, within points of victory. You'd have to find ANYTHING to get you those few points. There is a difference in ladder/clanwar games though. 40 player ladder games turned into a giant point whore fest, so I do understand the desire to play games to the death, rather than to time limit. However, you could still have some great, larger timed games. Some of the BEST Renegade games I played were 10v10-12v12 OPS vs -WL-. Those were bigger games that had time limits and were CRAZY competitive.

Anyways. I don't think Marathon modes are awful, they just aren't for me.

The reason for marathon servers originally was because of the campyness of certain maps. You saw this especially with organized clan games, and it crept into the mainstream servers a lot too.

People rushed to get arts, or other tanks, and base camp. There were no creative base rushes or elaborate strategies involved. The top clans had their movements choreographed. And certain sides had an edge on certain maps... which always led to the same result when two good clans played.

Marathons were a way to break the dependence on the point system and get people using strategy again. Heck, you had all these awesome unit types and lots of ways to attack the base. It just seemed like a more natural state for the game.

IMO marathons were fun for casuals, but took greater skill to master. On timed games, you could teach new clan members a map strategy in a few minutes and they could execute. Rush harvy, buy art, go here and shoot at war factory. In marathon games you had to be prepared for just about anything.

New Under will feature a silo too. -flameshield on-

I hope it's placed in a spot that doesn't benefit the team controlling the field like it does in Field.

I find silos to be better gameplay additions on maps where there are multiple routes to and from a base. But if there is only one route, then putting a silo on that route will always favor the team in control and I don't think that's fair.

But either way, I trust you to know what you're doing with your own map so good luck :).