Considered a steam release?

nicsicsix

I've heard about a standalone version of the mod coming out (which is awesome)

i was wondering if you guys had thought about working with steam to have them host it as a free download

I've seen many indie games that normally would have failed to do limited advertising thrive and be critically acclaimed on steam

just wondering.

It's possible to have two versions... since there is a physical copy of UT3 and a steam copy and they both let players play games together.

If they can get a Steam version, it doesn't have to restrict everyone to using the Steam version. It's mainly to get it advertised to more people. I think it's a good idea.

• 3 weeks later...

I've actually pestered the people at Impulse (Steam competitor) about this, and they're response is that they'd need to see explicit approval from EA before they could legally touch Ren-X with a ten-foot pole.

QUOTE (Kitkun @ May 25 2010, 02:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've actually pestered the people at Impulse (Steam competitor) about this, and they're response is that they'd need to see explicit approval from EA before they could legally touch Ren-X with a ten-foot pole.[/b]

I'm pretty sure EA thinks RenX is an' pretty cool guy. Didn't they interview Fobby?

I remember they talked about it on that battlecast thing.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (epicelite @ May 25 2010, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm pretty sure EA thinks RenX is an' pretty cool guy. Didn't they interview Fobby?

I remember they talked about it on that battlecast thing.[/b]

Steam is the PERFECT place to advertise free stuff. You'll get SO MANY players from there.

A steam release is a MUST.

QUOTE (AlonTavor @ Jun 11 2010, 08:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steam is the PERFECT place to advertise free stuff. You'll get SO MANY players from there.

A steam release is a MUST.[/b]

I agree. Valve is all about supporting indie games and mods, not to mention how awesome they are in general with their handling of Steam. Valve is the kind of company that Coke claims to be in this commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUHgOS22Y44. If there's any online software market that would be likely to work with Renegade X, it's Steam.

I don't think development time should be sacrificed for this kind of project, but if you guys find the time, it would be a great way to expand the player base. At the very least, I think it is worth looking into.

Though.... The only free games on Steam are Source mods, And Game demos, So I'm not sure if its possible.

making a "free weekend" and selling the game for 1-2 bucks will guarantee you a Lot of players.... But you guys aren't allowed to sell the game Right? (UT3 mod/Copying C&C stuff).

Steam supports Indie games, the 2$ ones, don't think they'll like it free.