Modeling

G3spike

3ds max is mostly used for vehicles and buildings. There is also a program called Maya (both 3ds max and maya are from same company) that people use.

For characters, if you want detailed (ut3 based characters) people use Zbrush, its the most common one. 3ds max is used for characters also, but low detailed ones like ones in C&C renegade, and RTS game because they dont need much detail to it.

If you are trying to figure out witch to start with, i would recommand characters because its the hardest one and the easy ones would be left for last. My choice actualy was buildings and i think i succeded at it but i cant model vehicles and characters. It seems easy to model vehicles, but i dont have good imagination of what scale stuff are and what kind of details should the vehicles have.

Good luck!

QUOTE (HeavyX101 @ Jan 1 2010, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
3ds max is mostly used for vehicles and buildings. There is also a program called Maya (both 3ds max and maya are from same company) that people use.
For characters, if you want detailed (ut3 based characters) people use Zbrush, its the most common one. 3ds max is used for characters also, but low detailed ones like ones in C&C renegade, and RTS game because they dont need much detail to it.

If you are trying to figure out witch to start with, i would recommand characters because its the hardest one and the easy ones would be left for last. My choice actualy was buildings and i think i succeded at it but i cant model vehicles and characters. It seems easy to model vehicles, but i dont have good imagination of what scale stuff are and what kind of details should the vehicles have.
Good luck![/b]

Thank you very much, yeah I think i'll start out making building/weapons. In blender I was good at creating faces but im guessing 3ds max is gonna be a lot harder.
Thanks again.

Is this Zbrush?: http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/downloadcenter/

• 4 weeks later...

I use Maya for all my stuff. I have used Max in the past, but Maya is used more where I work so I just stick with that. Right now I just do high res models in Maya still, but wanting to get into Zbrush and/or Mudbox also. Maya and Max are basically the same, just different layouts. Some people/companies use one while some use the other.

• 4 months later...
QUOTE (G3spike @ Jan 1 2010, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you very much, yeah I think i'll start out making building/weapons. In blender I was good at creating faces but im guessing 3ds max is gonna be a lot harder.
Thanks again.

Is this Zbrush?: http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/downloadcenter/[/b]

\Harder than blender ? not at all. Just learn the poly editing tool and your golden. 3d max can do a lot more than most 3dsoftware but the problem with it is its a jack of all trades and excels at very few things. As far as poly modeling xsi is much faster than max and is probably a lot closer to blender than max. Also xsi is a lot cheaper and good for just about any kind of modeling. I could model a charcature or vechile in max . really there is no limit or any one program that does it the best. its just some have better tools for what you are trying to do. Example dont try to make avatar one frame at a time in pc paint. Its just a bad idea. lol

And yes that is zbrush. You should check out there gallery, its wicked cool

• Former Developers

There is no such thing as one program being better then the other. Every program can do everything, some specifically do better at some things then the other, while others focus on only one thing in particular. It is ultimately up to you to determine what program you want to use, and what is best for the job at hand. It is really a matter of personal choice. Dont let someone else tell you that this program is better then this other one, even if they may have a point, it is ultimately up to you and what you're comfortable with. But it is your responsibility to keep up with the industry and be able to identify the purposes and practical uses of each program. Almost all the time, you will need to use a combination of applications to get the job done. So dont think that there is one magical program that can do everything very well.