3D card problem

Demigan

Hello, I know there are several people on these fora that like messing about with computers, so I got a little question for them:

First in short my question:

If a 3d card has been running for 1 and a half year with too little power and suddenly stops, is it broken, or will it work if you buy a new power feed with enough power output?

I've bought a new 3d card about a year and a half ago, along with a new power feed for the computer. The original power feed was intended to power the computer plus the new 3d card, which it would have done splendidly if the 3d card had worked. The 3d card didn't work, so I got myself a Geforce 9800GTX+ instead.

Foolishly, I asked them about the powerrequirements of the new 3d card, and didn't think any further when they said that it was 'about the same power requirement'. Some weeks ago, my computer froze for no reason at all several times, at large intervals. Untill last week, when it stopped entirely.

It's defenitely the video card, without it, I can start up my computer and work with it as long as the video card isn't in it, but with the video card, it doesn't start at all. I checked the power feed, and if I read the terrible mess of words and numbers on it right then it should give an power output of 401,5W. The box of my Geforce tells me that my 3d card needs 450W minimum to work.

So for a year and a half I've been running it with far too little power, and now it stopped working. My question is: If I buy a 450+W power feed, will this 3d card work on it, or have I broken the card?

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

I'm surprised you didn't blow your power supply. Mine blew and in the process it blew my motherboard. Thankfully it didn't blow the 9800GTX card I have...

Check it out. Buy a larger wattage power supply anyway. Get like a 6-750 one. So you don't have to worry about using extra power when needed.

QUOTE (AsgarothXc @ Dec 9 2009, 05:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm surprised you didn't blow your power supply. Mine blew and in the process it blew my motherboard. Thankfully it didn't blow the 9800GTX card I have...

Check it out. Buy a larger wattage power supply anyway. Get like a 6-750 one. So you don't have to worry about using extra power when needed.[/b]

Allright, thanks. I'll see what it can do. Should it not work, then you people won't be seeing me on renegade-x untill I get myself a new computer. Which I don't see happening anytime soon.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

• Totem Arts Staff

i had the same problem but it was not my card (8800GT) it was my pci-e 2.0 slot 1 .... it was very temperamental tho .... any time i shut the power off (unpluged, no light on mobo) and after installing new hardware new fan, hdd ect.. then turnd it back on, the card would not work (no power) but if i used an old card (ATI 2400 pro) every thing worked ... so i shut down left power on (did not unplug, light on mobo on) changed the card back to 8800GT and all worked ... dont know what it wrong with my mobo (asus m2n-e sli) but that is the only way i found to fix it.

btw i dont think its power problem as i have a 800w psu and if you didnt have enuff power the card would not work at all proboly just get that beeeeeeeeeep telling you that there is no power.

try the card in a friends pc

QUOTE (thrash300 @ Dec 11 2009, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does that mean that you didn't use a surge protector?. If not then you are lucky its only your graphics card and not your CPU, or hardrive.[/b]

What's a surge protector? Does a power supply surge if it can't give enough power? That would seem a bit in reverse. Or is it the power supply that is BEING surged and gets broken?

@Kenz:
What would the problem be then? It worked for quite a long time on too little power. The only thing I really know for sure is that it's the video card at this very moment that's broken.

Anyways, thanks for the advice so far.

QUOTE (Demigan @ Dec 11 2009, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's a surge protector? Does a power supply surge if it can't give enough power? That would seem a bit in reverse. Or is it the power supply that is BEING surged and gets broken?

@Kenz:
What would the problem be then? It worked for quite a long time on too little power. The only thing I really know for sure is that it's the video card at this very moment that's broken.

Anyways, thanks for the advice so far.[/b]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surge_protector

A surge protector (or surge suppressor) is an appliance designed to protect electrical devices from voltage spikes. A surge protector attempts to regulate the voltage supplied to an electric device by either blocking or by shorting to ground voltages above a safe threshold.[/b]

• 2 weeks later...

unfortunatly a surger protector is usless in the prevention of what has happened here.

Mos commonly what has happened is the GPU itself ahs died as a result of under voltage. This in effect will cause the transistors in the GPU to fluctuate to the point of death, ther card are rated for overvolate, but not giving enough power has more negative effects (clearly seen by Demigans position)

I would reccomend getting atleast a 650W power supply, as even with a basic setup your power consumption can peak over 450W especially when yu ahve the CPU load about 25%

Also go for a QUALITY brand... not some shitty antec or something.

Corsair

OCZ

PC Power and Cooling

Silverstone

Only 4 companies i would trust with a PSU because they run at proper effiencies and have dual rail systems to lighten to load so to speak.

Most other companies advertise 650w but fail to mention its only at 60-75% effeincy... meaning its only running at a meire 480w at best

Hope this help (btw im a former technician so i know my shiat :) )

QUOTE (Killa @ Dec 22 2009, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
unfortunatly a surger protector is usless in the prevention of what has happened here.

Mos commonly what has happened is the GPU itself ahs died as a result of under voltage. This in effect will cause the transistors in the GPU to fluctuate to the point of death, ther card are rated for overvolate, but not giving enough power has more negative effects (clearly seen by Demigans position)

I would reccomend getting atleast a 650W power supply, as even with a basic setup your power consumption can peak over 450W especially when yu ahve the CPU load about 25%

Corsair
OCZ
PC Power and Cooling
Silverstone

Only 4 companies i would trust with a PSU because they run at proper effiencies and have dual rail systems to lighten to load so to speak.

Most other companies advertise 650w but fail to mention its only at 60-75% effeincy... meaning its only running at a meire 480w at best

Hope this help (btw im a former technician so i know my shiat :) )[/b]

It does help. Today I've got some time to go past the stores and see what happens if I plug the old 3d card in. But with a list of proper powersupply's it will be a lot easier. Thanks!

QUOTE (Killa @ Dec 22 2009, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Corsair
OCZ
PC Power and Cooling
Silverstone

Hope this help (btw im a former technician so i know my shiat :) )[/b]

My PSU is from antec and it has 850watts 80%certified and 4x 12volt rails. I got it for about 70$ on sale and it is not some POS like you say it is. Apevia and Rosewill are your shitty brands. Jeez

80% efficiency at minimal load....

id say 60 or less when the cpu is about 60%

OCZ, silverstone, PCPC and corsair are the only companies that have psu's that hit 75+ efficiency at loads exceding 60%

I build high end systems... so i demand the best parts i can buy. Id never throw an antec PSU into any system id build.

I'm going to get a guarantee on the 3d card, as they were supposed to have informed me that the power supply I had bought along with it wasn't enough for the card. They will try to test it, if it's still working I can pick it up monday, if it's broken it will be replaced with a new one OR with a card that is about the same price as when I bought it, but then a card that is worth that much NOW. So all I need to be concerned of is to buy a big enough power supply :)

I thank you people for all the advice I've gotten, I'll be sure to get myself a good power supply now.

QUOTE (kenz3001 @ Dec 25 2009, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i would go for a evga card then as thay give a limeted lifetime warranty as standerd ;) [/b]

In my country all shops have to give a minimal guarantee of a year for ordinary use mechanical parts. In the shop I bought it in I even got a 2 year guarantee that it shouldn't give out under normal circumstances. So I think I'm safe on this one.