Forum question

TheBlackOut

Just something I've noticed and had a thought on, why does the forum require registration to view topics? I know, this might be to make people register and become active within the community, but on the homesite, you've announced your public release, if they click it for more info, they have to register. What if they don't want to? Some people don't like register on sites (a few friends of mine love lurking, they'll never, EVER register). By blocking that viewing privelage, you're denying them info on downloads, bug fixes (the frontend thing for one), etc. I think you guys should at least make the new more readable on the homepage or make the forums viewable for guests. Maybe make the homepage have info of the news post like CNCNZ (I'm just biased, yea :P) but if they want to click it to read the replies to the OP, they have to register. Something like that.

And this is a minor thing... why not get an ICO icon for the forums like the homepage has?

(if this should go in offtopic or somewhere else.. please move it)

I agree with this a lot. I guess being closed off while the mod was in development had it's reasons but now that the mod is public the place for support should also be public. And that means not having to register to view a possible solution. It's very off-putting to potential players to say the least.

QUOTE (TigerXtrm @ Oct 3 2009, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with this a lot. I guess being closed off while the mod was in development had it's reasons but now that the mod is public the place for support should also be public. And that means not having to register to view a possible solution. It's very off-putting to potential players to say the least.[/b]

Exactly :)

QUOTE (TigerXtrm @ Oct 4 2009, 03:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Isn't that why you have the 'Are you human?' question during the registration? Either that or install Captcha 2 instead of the unreadable junk you're using now.[/b]

Yea, unless they learned how to bypass that too... but don't bots just create accounts anyways?

But I'm glad it's realized it should be done differently, good to know the reasoning at least :P