Alternate Weapons

blazingshadow

Hello, everyone, I'm new to the RenegadeX community, so please forgive me if I botch this up somehow...

If any of you guys bothered to play through the Renegade campaign... you might've noticed the alternate pistol Havoc and Sakura use. To give it a little backround, it's Silver-matte, unlike the Falcon pistol, and the sound is rather loud.

I was wondering, if it wouldn't be too much of a hassle, if the development team would be willing to consider giving an alternate selection in pistol... somehow... or giving certain classes a different kind of pistol.

For example, perhaps there could be a small alternate buy screen in the purchase terminal with alternate weapon selections for certain classes. One universal choice, of course, being an alternate backup weapon. The functional difference for this weapon, asides from the asthetics, could be a longer reload time, less ammo, but stronger ammunition. Perhaps, if it's certain choices for certain classes, it could be free of charge and just match a person's playstyle. I don't know about anyone else, but I seldom use the Falcon pistol in regular Renegade because it's just too weak and short range. Maybe adding in different pistol(s) with different stats could make handguns more useful.

Maybe the Falcon pistol could be a 20-round silenced machine pistol while this other silver-matte handgun could be similar to a desert eagle.

That's just a thought.

Another weapon you see in the cutscenes, but not in the game, is an AR-15 with an attached M203 grenade launcher. You see these used by regular Nod soldiers transporting GDI POW's to a compact submarine, and you see them again being used to shoot Havoc when he's escaping aboard the same sub.

Now, I know it may seem like if you added this gun it would make the GDI grenadier obsolete. That's why I think it should be a compromise weapon.... say 30 rounds per clip, 70 short of a Renegade Raptor Rifle, with an alternate grenade special that's not AS strong as the GDI grenade launcher... and must be reloaded after firing. I'd like to see it in the Renegade X mod just for asthetic reasons... no one can deny how sexy an M16 with an M203 looks in real life, but I also think it could be a pretty awesome addition to the mod.

There a re a couple of ways to implement this weapon, but I'm not a designer, so I don't know what hassles would be associated with it. You could add in a feature, like I said above, to let the GDI/Nod soldiers change their main weapon, could add in a 5th 'free' class with this weapon as its primary. Those are just a couple of ways it could be done...

Well those are my comments/ideas. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong board or wasted anybody's time.

It's an idea, but the problem is that gameplay could change too much because of it. The original only had this amount of weaponry available, and having "alternate" weapons with new variables and functions basically adds more weapons. I'd support aesthetic alterations of weapons, but not those that could change gameplay. Even then, I'd prefer slight skin changes (flat black to desert camo) to drastic skin changes (Raptor to AR15/M203).

If the mods approve of something along the lines of an aesthetic alteration for weaponry, this could be a good place for holding community contests. Just my 2 cents.

I like the idea, but as said, the fact that it might change the gameplay too much is always there. We shouldn't ask ourselves 'will it change the gameplay' but 'will it change the gameplay negatively'.

On the other hand, you could try and learn how to use the pistol. It's quite silent, and perfect in Under for instance when used by the SBH. You sneak up on someone, and use the pistol. They don't hear it, they usually don't get a damage indicator when shot by a pistol and when you shoot someone in the head you deal a good 50 damage. Don't expect to kill them in just one fight, you shoot 3 bullets, more if you are confident, then hide away before they see you untill you are either stealth or you see they aren't paying attention to their health at all. Then move in for the kill with either your pistol or go frenzy with the laser gun. if you are lucky, you will attract some stupid Deadeyes and havocs, will they be surprised if you actually shoot at them with a laser rifle ;)

Yours sincerly,

Demigan.

QUOTE (Demigan @ Sep 15 2009, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like the idea, but as said, the fact that it might change the gameplay too much is always there. We shouldn't ask ourselves 'will it change the gameplay' but 'will it change the gameplay negatively'.

On the other hand, you could try and learn how to use the pistol. It's quite silent, and perfect in Under for instance when used by the SBH. You sneak up on someone, and use the pistol. They don't hear it, they usually don't get a damage indicator when shot by a pistol and when you shoot someone in the head you deal a good 50 damage. Don't expect to kill them in just one fight, you shoot 3 bullets, more if you are confident, then hide away before they see you untill you are either stealth or you see they aren't paying attention to their health at all. Then move in for the kill with either your pistol or go frenzy with the laser gun. if you are lucky, you will attract some stupid Deadeyes and havocs, will they be surprised if you actually shoot at them with a laser rifle ;)

Yours sincerly,
Demigan.[/b]

well then you understand how/why the pistol is a very limited weapon. If only one class, one faction, can make real use of it... what's the point?

Was just an idea, thank you for the feedback. I am kinda wondering if there will be someone who will want to make an M16/m203 mutator.... i forgot you're using the UT3 engine/game for the RenX mod, lol :P

QUOTE (Killa71 @ Sep 16 2009, 01:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well then you understand how/why the pistol is a very limited weapon. If only one class, one faction, can make real use of it... what's the point?

Was just an idea, thank you for the feedback. I am kinda wondering if there will be someone who will want to make an M16/m203 mutator.... i forgot you're using the UT3 engine/game for the RenX mod, lol :P[/b]

Oh, it has it's other uses. I killed a havoc with one yesterday (from full health), as an engineer on early rushes it's very usefull if you can get a headon attack i.e. you run in a straight line forwards and so does your opponent. You can kill him faster with your pistol then he can with an auto-rifle.
I use it loads of other times, when I want to get close while damaging him without him turning around immidiately to shoot me, to kill people who are already nicely damaged when I have weapons with a low RPM like snipers, every time I run out of ammo which I incidently live long enough to accomplish.

Besides, the whole point of the gun is that it's a backup weapon, NOT your main weapon.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

These little additions would introduce rather new concepts to the game, and significantly alter game-play. Mmore damage but less round / clip? who wouldn't choose that? Basic soldiers gaining indirect fire and building damage capabilities along with being able to counter inf easily? no ty. It's a nice idea and all, if you can find someone to add this in as a mutator, sure thing, but it should not be included with Ren-X itself.

On a side note: the pistol is actually a very good weapon. Used in tunnels it is more effective then the Nod Rifle having twice the damage / shot. Flamethrower/Grenadiers should also be using the pistol on enemy soldiers then use the main weapon on buildings. It takes 4(!) headshots to kill a basic soldier, 5 for your cheap classes, 6 for medium classes and 7 for heavy classes.. not bad for a gun with infinite ammo, and a rather good fire rate, and decent range too might I add. I say, learn to aim with it. I've beaten 2-3 soldiers in a row with an engineer because of this countless times.

The pistol does the same damage as the laser rifle, flechette and even the volt rifle / shot ;-) (10). Only difference is the rate of fire. I'm also pretty sure the pistol and the volt rifle has about the same range.

i have to say that i just LOVE the pistol.

usually as engineer or as hotwire (the chars i played the most by far) i can kill way more peeps than with let's say a laser rifle or even a normal auto rifle. as sniper... when peeps get to me, i use my pistol. basically i use my pistol whenever i'm out of ammo or when i need to do dmg quickly

Why? Because of all the things demigan already said in his replies. it's silent, it does it's amount of dmg (on a few hses peeps die really quickly lol)

i like the idea. but i guess it means adding weapons which changes gameplay... and this time i think it changes for the bad...

QUOTE (Jointn00b @ Sep 17 2009, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
usually as engineer or as hotwire (the chars i played the most by far) i can kill way more peeps than with let's say a laser rifle or even a normal auto rifle.[/b]

I agree with everything you say, but you can kill faster with a pistol then a laser rifle...? A laser rifle deals just as much damage+fire damage (10 usually), has a longer range, about the same ROF and farther range. It's only flaw is that people tend to want to stay hidden/far away from people, which is rather hard with this loud and above all rather attracting rifle. Everyone knows, an SBH will run whenever possible and rarely attack full hp people.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

QUOTE (Demigan @ Sep 17 2009, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with everything you say, but you can kill faster with a pistol then a laser rifle...? A laser rifle deals just as much damage+fire damage (10 usually), has a longer range, about the same ROF and farther range. It's only flaw is that people tend to want to stay hidden/far away from people, which is rather hard with this loud and above all rather attracting rifle. Everyone knows, an SBH will run whenever possible and rarely attack full hp people.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.[/b]

no not faster, but more. as with the pistol it's silent and not the entire map is drawn to you by the sound of your gun :P and somehow my aim with pistol is always better than with any other gun lol...