Autotune

[NE]Fobby[GEN]

• Totem Arts Staff

I thought this was kind of cool, it's an audio program that edits your voice and gives a cool robotic-sounding vibe to it. Many songs have it. I was wondering if there was any [free] programs anyone here would recommend for Autotuning your voice. Oh, and I use Windows 7, so something compatible with that.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE ((NE)Fobby(GEN) @ Jul 2 2009, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you? I have no idea how it works.[/b]

Basically you have two parts. A carrier signal which is the synthesizer playing a note, and a modulator which is the voice/signal being altered.

The autotune effect (T-Pain style) is actually a pitch correcting process. Many people believe it's a vocoder but it isn't.
That doesn't mean you can't get a similar effect. I always though the autotune sounded like a bagpipe effect.

So all you need to do is record yourself talking/singing and then load up the vocoder. You route the synth to the vocoder via the carrier input and the vocals to the modulator input. In order for it to work, you need to press a note down on the synthesizer while the voice is being played.

Think of it like a color filter. The picture = voice, and the transparent red glasses = synthesizer. The vocoder just allows the voice to be transformed, and thus you'll see all the red end of the spectrum. ;)