Melee attack

Kriemhild Gretchen

What would you guys think of being able to use a melee attack by hitting Q?

I know it's not something that was in the original Renegade, but I think it could be implemented in Renegade X. I'm aware that the pistol has infinite ammo and is meant to serve as a backup weapon. Do you think it's a good idea? Why or why not? I don't necessarily think it is, but I was curious as to what others thought.

If you think it is a good idea, what should it do? Damage the enemy, shove them back for a moment, stunning them or both?

The way I'd accept a melee attack in this game basically means it has to be useless.

You don't want backstabbing, it would be awful. That also means you don't want some sort of stun effects that gives you an easy kill. And since it can't be killing things easily, its hard to not make it useless compared to any weapons.

Maybe a melee attack intended only to push people away, without really stunning them. As a means to stop them from advancing.

All in all, not much point to it, though.

There should be a melee weapon that you can only use when you're completely out of ammo. However, I think all the secondary weapons have had their ammo adjusted to be infinite, so I don't think a situation like this would ever come about. I might be mistaken though.

If I am indeed mistaken, then the melee weapon (knife or whatever) should be about as powerful as a silenced pistol shot to the head with a much slower "rate of fire" (stab, retract, repeat).

There should be a melee weapon that you can only use when you're completely out of ammo. However, I think all the secondary weapons have had their ammo adjusted to be infinite, so I don't think a situation like this would ever come about. I might be mistaken though.

If I am indeed mistaken, then the melee weapon (knife or whatever) should be about as powerful as a silenced pistol shot to the head with a much slower "rate of fire" (stab, retract, repeat).

To my knowledge, only the suppressed (I refuse to call it silenced) pistol has infinite ammo.