Server queue

Kriemhild Gretchen

Could a queue be implemented to join a server when it's full? It's irritating to have a server full up and no others with more than 10 players. Granted, given that the game crashes quite often, stealing player's slots who intend to join again could be an issue, but I see it as lesser than having to sit there for five minutes hitting refresh hoping someone decides to go eat dinner or something.

There's very few games that have a nice server-client connection system. Queue, then when a spot is open, only send request for a spot, reserve it for a limited time, THEN load the game. I've never seen a game with that feature, though.

The problem even with Queue, is that when you load the game, someone else got in faster. And then you have to close it down and start over anyway.

There's very few games that have a nice server-client connection system. Queue, then when a spot is open, only send request for a spot, reserve it for a limited time, THEN load the game. I've never seen a game with that feature, though.

The problem even with Queue, is that when you load the game, someone else got in faster. And then you have to close it down and start over anyway.

I believe every Battlefield game from the past 5 years has this feature (on PC anyway.)

I've played some other games that have queues. It would be great, instead of just trying again and again. You could also make a connection script that keeps checking the number of players on that server and immediately launches if it ever drops below max. It's important to limit the rate of checks or it could cause problems (be seen as a malicious attack, crash master lists, etc.). I'll certainly include it on my Wine-only launcher at some point, but Windows needs some help to run anything in Bash (ex. http://win-bash.sourceforge.net/).

You can try modifying the open-source launcher for RenX or use a scripting language (Pearl, Python, etc.) to do the check I said and connect. An example of connecting to a server: UDK.exe 127.0.0.1

You can type in the server IP yourself, or copy and paste from the master server listing, otherwise you'd need to make something like a whole separate launcher.

I've played some other games that have queues. It would be great, instead of just trying again and again. You could also make a connection script that keeps checking the number of players on that server and immediately launches if it ever drops below max. It's important to limit the rate of checks or it could cause problems (be seen as a malicious attack, crash master lists, etc.). I'll certainly include it on my Wine-only launcher at some point, but Windows needs some help to run anything in Bash (ex. http://win-bash.sourceforge.net/).

You can try modifying the open-source launcher for RenX or use a scripting language (Pearl, Python, etc.) to do the check I said and connect. An example of connecting to a server: UDK.exe 127.0.0.1

You can type in the server IP yourself, or copy and paste from the master server listing, otherwise you'd need to make something like a whole separate launcher.

I'm not a programmer. So this isn't really possible for me.

I'm not much at all of one either, but I'm learning slowly in tiny bits in some of my spare time ... when I'm not playing games. Most are pretty similar, and scripting is a heck of a lot quicker and easier than heavy-duty programming in something like C.

Make a simple short script to do it (major scripting languages are used in very many games) or push for the Devs to add it in a future release. Poll Vote helps.

Why would you query the master server to queue a server?

Because an actual queue would have to be implemented server-side. This is more of a work-around where you query the master server for the number of players every second until a space is found, and then automatically connect. It may be a workaround, but the result is just as effective, and MUCH easier to implement.