"Splash" Maps?

RoundShades

So, my idea... I was watching a Mesa gameplay recording. They added a tech building. Neat. Well, there is almost any place in any map they could or couldn't add tech buildings. That got me thinking. Why waste the effort of making versions with and without?

Wouldn't it be neat, if there was a way, where a map had catergories. You voted for the catergory, field or whiteout or walls flying. Then, each catergory randomly loaded a version of the map, that may or may not have tech structures.

The interesting thing here, is it may even mix up rush tactics. You would have to risk checking if there was or wasn't a tech structure, or just waiting to see naturally down the line.

Instances include:

-Versions of Walls-Flying with and without a Silo to the center of where the walkways merge at the top leading up to the top of the mesa

-Versions with/without a silo on one or another or both sides of the field where the harvesters go in Mesa

-Version with/without the silo in the center of Field (can even bring back the "classic shed" to the center in version without)

-Versions with/without one in the back water-crossing between center islands in Islands.

-Versions with/without one in either side and/or center in Whiteout.

-Versions with/without one/two centralized ones in Goldrush and Lakeside.

So map votes or rotates like normal, but may load in order or randomly any instance of those maps without specifying which (only specifying map name). This also leads to the option to turn tech buildings off or on (by limiting the selection to just choose always the version with or without the tech structure).

Just a neat idea.

One of my (and many others') tactics is to grab an engi and go blow up the harvester to get creds. The mystique is lost in such a game mechanic because we would be able to clearly see if there was or wasnt a silo and we could alter our strategy accordingly.

Well you could just say why not make every map to a flying enabled map?

Some maps were made to carry techbuildings along and some weren't. You can't just place such a structure somewhere on the map since it would probaly cause imbalance. And the silo structure will definatly not be the last techbuilding we see.

Well you could just say why not make every map to a flying enabled map?

Some maps were made to carry techbuildings along and some weren't. You can't just place such a structure somewhere on the map since it would probaly cause imbalance. And the silo structure will definatly not be the last techbuilding we see.

Oh, I didn't say random generation. I believe that is impossible anyway.

What is possible is literally having 2 map files, one with tech buildings in balanced locations such as current ones, and another just the same but without the tech building. After doing that, it could either be a server options to always/never/randomly have tech buildings, and that would select one of the two maps to load whenever the game goes to load that map. So when it loads up field, it could load up one of those versions of field, one with the shed, one with the silo.

Upon additional tech buildings, you could rotate them into this idea, either make the setting allow all tech buildings or disallow all tech buildings, or do it selectively, or even rotate their locations between one another (the silo and repair ones switch places with one another on different loadups)