Environment/Prop Artist - Hyncharas

Hyncharas

Given it's been about two years since my last application I figured it was the right time to try again.

There's been a couple new additions to my portfolio since then, but I've really been doing more creative writing than 3d modeling.

I don't have UT3 installed but are using the latest version of UDK. I'm also starting to model some things in Maya now I have a limited understanding of the interface, and Pixologic's Sculptris that's just been released.

I didn't really see any environments that you created yourself on your deviantART profile. Do you have anything substantial to show? I'm not saying this to talk down to you, so much as I am trying to help you. If you want to work for RenX, I would imagine you need to be close to the current standards of 3D modeling and texture development - none of which I'm seeing on your profile.

/I don't work for RenX

//This is just the opinion of one artist to another

A few of the most-recent models were performed during or after my degree; this includes the Nod Buggy that was originally built as a test for the mod but had too many polygons. I've reached this point in my life where I can't get a commercial job without a portfolio, and the best way to get one that is useful is by working for mods. While I was at College/University this was intermittent but, as I've been unemployed since graduating, I'm looking at earning some money through my web skills whilst I work with community teams.

As for texturing, I've never been able to master the skill with all the tutorials in the world - this might be related to how I interpret information, or simply that I've lacked people to consult on what I'm doing wrong. Instructions simply aren't enough for me and so I've been unable to get any further... I would love to texture my own models, really, but I just haven't been successful.

http://tiletron.deviantart.com/#/d42npmr

Is this the Buggy you were referring to? Aside from the wheels, the whole thing is very low-poly and inaccurate to the source material. It vaguely resembles the Buggy from Renegade but looks nothing like the Buggy from C&C95. It needs more definition and a sleeker profile if you're attempting to make it look like the vehicle from Renegade.

Additionally, I would recommend learning how to create your own textures. I'm surprised that a university teaching game design didn't teach you the fundamentals of game art. Did you do any drawing? Figure drawing, life drawing, perspective? All of that is critical to being able to draw great textures. Being able to photo-source them effectively also helps.

http://tiletron.deviantart.com/#/d42npmrI'm surprised that a university teaching game design didn't teach you the fundamentals of game art.

We did life drawing, but it was only one semester in the first academic year of the entire course. I think the real problem was there aren't any game studios in the city I was studying, only aerospace, engineering and architectural firms, and businesses that wanted nobody like us. The bridge between the students and the local companies simply isn't geared for it.

Sadly, in the UK, the concept of a proper games degree is totally shit. Only four universities are accredited and it cost way too much for accomodation given where they are, particularly now. A lot of what I learnt was working for modteams, not from the teachers. With my graduation I've wanted to do a 50/50 plan; I do contractual/part-time work at a games studio while I also get additional traning from an accredited supplier (i.e. people who actually make you practice the skills in projects), but since my placement year was when the recession hit over here, nobody wanted to have games people for internships. EA Criterion in February of my final year also ditched 600 jobs, so they were hardly likely to employ anyone except those they originally sacked.

After graduating you can't do an internship unless I'm still studying, and no studio will employ people without prior experience in another studio... hence, nobody from my class of 2009 or even today stands the slightest chance. The fact is games degrees are laughed at by the government. If we had places like Full Sail here it might be different, but we don't. I know these sound like excuses but I haven't stopped trying to get employed since graduation. It's that studios aren't interested in people who haven't been properly taught.

• 1 month later...

@ Hyncharas:

Hi

I am Lighthorse and just a note I do not work for Ren-X but I have done alot of Modding.

Wolfenstine, Blake Stone, Heretic, Hexen, Doom, Doom II, FMS, AeroFlight just to start.

My FMS models are still being used http://lighthorse.ws/

I also worked on and designed flight maps for Condor including buildings and other objects.

So to the point

Your stuff is coming along still a little rough and you really need to texture. I might be able to help

you if you want it, I have helped others while on line. You can PM me if you want.

I have used AutoCad, 3DStudio, others but I prefer Metasequoia

and then save to where or what I want it to be.