Interesting tidbit for mappers.

epicelite

I was playing Team Fortress 2, and some may not know but the game has no built in ladder system that I know of. So am playing this one map, forget name, and there is a ladder!?

I looked at it good and hard and thought, how the fu...

THEN I SAW IT!

The ladder is just EXTREMELY thing stairs! You know how you can always go up X game units without jumping, for stairs?

So basically it is like stairs, squished extremely thin so that there is just BARELY an edge for each "step" and then shaped it into a ladder!

FUCKING GENIUS!

All I am saying is, here is a way to make a ladder that, even in the original renegade, will work! (I don't recall seeing a ladder in unreal 3?)

Looks like a normal ladder.

But it's not.

While reading this I thought at first 'am I supposed to understand this or was he high'.

But reading it again and seeing the pictures, I got the point (was thinking about a ranking ladder).

I think the way you have it in Renegade is good enough. In other games that have a 'run against it and you go up' ladder, you can find problems with brushing against a ladder and suddenly moving upwards a bit (see games like Unreal 2 for that kind of thing). This is only annoying and a bit unrealistic (who climbs a ladder during a full run only to jump off again before you are halfway?)

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

What an an unnecessary Topic... howerver, ITS UNREAL ENGINE 3, you got a very nice system of climbing ladders (pressing E and then start climbing) also its using physics for that. The way it was in Renegade is ok, too. So whats this post for?

QUOTE (epicelite @ Jan 31 2009, 07:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or you could have invisible single triangles then make a visible ladder around that?[/b]

If you made the polys invisible, then that means the lader would be invisible...

Example:
In that screen shot, the ladder was like this:
lad1.jpg
Here is what a ladder of the same hight and type would look in Reneagde
lad2.jpg

QUOTE (R315r4z0r @ Jan 31 2009, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you made the polys invisible, then that means the lader would be invisible...

Example:
In that screen shot, the ladder was like this:
lad1.jpg
Here is what a ladder of the same hight and type would look in Reneagde
lad2.jpg[/b]

No I mean, make the ladder with no collision settings except bullets, then make a single invisible polygon and copy past that for the steps.