Renegade X - Progress Update

[NE]Fobby[GEN]

• Totem Arts Staff

Hey guys.

It's been a couple months since we've had an update, so we thought we'd update you with out status and show you some things you can expect to see in the future.

As of the 19th, it's been exactly one year since the release of Unreal Tournament 3. Kind of funny, because we at Renegade X had bought it for a good fifty or sixty dollars, and now you can find it in certain places for less than ten dollars. So if you haven't gotten a copy yet, go ahead and get one, because you will not be able to play Renegade X without UT3. Wouldn't want to be late for the Renegade revolution, huh? :P

The team has been very busy for the past few months in all divisions. We've been making our push for some huge updates you could expect to see during the Christmas season, as well as getting C&C mode coded and working ingame. Progress has been grand, and we haven't exactly been telling you all about everything we've been doing - we're just a big fan of surprises - so bear with the project and stick around for progress reports. I can't say much right now, other than that there is a shocking update just around the corner, just in time for the Mod of the Year Awards too!

Interview

Sonic at CNCNZ has just performed an in-depth, informative interview with Fobby, the founder of the Renegade X. The interview carries a whole range of information about our progress, our opinions, comments about a possible sequel to C&C Renegade, etc.

Here's an excerpt:

7) Is Renegade X a direct remake of what the original Renegade offered us or have you added your own twist on how the game plays?

Renegade X will surpass the original Renegade in every way. Graphics, well you can see for yourself. Audio, for sure! Gameplay, definitely. No more glitchy bugs and bad net coding. There will also be more to this mod than what Renegade had delivered. Although we're not changing much of the game's actual mechanics, things like new game modes, oodles of server side options, and so much more will be coming to play. Also, just the fact that the Unreal Engine 3 has a much more dynamic physics engine than W3D will revolutionize things like explosions and superweapons, and cause them to blow you out of proportion, literally!

You could find the interview here!

http://www.cncnz.com/features/interviews/221108.php

And now for some work in progress shots of some of the things we've been dishing out:

Nod Airstrip

The Airstrip is back looking hotter than ever. It's where Nod gets its vehicles dropped off by Cargo Plane. Similar to our vehicles, the buildings in Renegade X will increasingly get dirtier, snowier, or visually more damaged depending on the circumstances of the match. Modeled by Deathlink, textured by Havoc89 and PT by JeepRubi

renxcomplex.jpg

renx_airstrip.jpg

The Purchase Terminal is a work in progress, so it will not be a plain green in the released version of the mod. We've got some great ideas you will see with time :)

Islands

A beautiful map by our new member, Zixxer. Islands brings out the tropical side of Renegade X, with bright skies and luscious environment. Islands is a personal favorite for many, and now it is back looking better than ever!

RenX_Island_01.jpg

RenX_Island_02.jpg

RenX_Island_03.jpg

Mammoth Tank Concept

The Mammoth tank is the biggest, baddest and most expensive vehicle in the game. It's very heavily armored and dual barreled for extra fire power. The Mammoth also has tusk missiles with the ability of locking onto targets for close range havoc.

renxmammothbarrell_concept.jpg

The Mammoth Tank will be completed and ready for use in our next update, and I know you Renegade and Tiberian Dawn fans will love to see its triumphant return in Renegade X.

That's it for now everybody. Again, a major update is just around the corner, so stick around and be sure to check out http://www.renegade-x.com for more news and WIP shots in the coming days and weeks. Hope you all enjoyed this brief update!

Later!

I like what I am seeing, but when I click for a bigger picture I get an error!? :(

Does the airstrip have an elevator to get into the top, it makes a good sniper spot! :P

On islands when your in the tunnels are there going to be fish?

"Renegade X had bought it for a good fifty or sixty dollars, and now you can find it in certain places for less than ten dollars."

Yeah it makes me RAGE. I tried to play the actual game too but it sucks so hard.

This doesn't seem to have been asked yet, but what's with the various barrels for the mammy? Trying to decide which you like best?

I vote for the two bottom ones in the left column. The original looks too plain (obviously) and the one below it looks okay except for that part near the base of the main barrel, which looks odd. The top one on the right looks like the gun barrel of an old lego set I had. The one below it looks too sci-fi, same as the one below that. Another comment on the bottom right barrel, that lower rod is supposed to be support for the main barrel, but in that one it looks too small.

As for the two I voted for, I like the upper one (the on thats used on the drawing of the mammoth) because it looks like an appropriate upgrade from the standard one from Renegade. I like the bottom one, partly because it's sleek, and partly because it's black, which makes it look like the Mammoth sprite from Tiberian Dawn.

Still Steamrolling along nicely, looking at this more and more keeps getting my hopes up of playing it soon, but we all must wait, rushing an unfinished product is bad and ea should learn from that :P

I completely agree with Tsumetai about the barrels.

Good work so far fellows, keep it up.

Superb job!

Espicially I love how Islands look. Never thought it could be made that colorful and living.

I also like the way you bring updates in big packages (and the fact they show up in a month or two). I mean, it's always nice to go to forums and be surprised every now and then. BTW if you're living in Europe and not seeing UT3 for under 10 bucks anywhere you may want to visit play.com as they're selling UT3 for 11.50 euros (14.4 USD) + they have free delivery almost everywhere in Europe.

!me waits for what is to come :P

QUOTE (CrazyAndy @ Nov 23 2008, 03:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Superb job!

Espicially I love how Islands look. Never thought it could be made that colorful and living.

I also like the way you bring updates in big packages (and the fact they show up in a month or two). I mean, it's always nice to go to forums and be surprised every now and then. BTW if you're living in Europe and not seeing UT3 for under 10 bucks anywhere you may want to visit play.com as they're selling UT3 for 11.50 euros (14.4 USD) + they have free delivery almost everywhere in Europe.

!me waits for what is to come :P[/b]

Yes im glad they mentioned that we would need the game :blink:

When I saw the movie in field, so long ago now, I was really pleased.

Now, after so long not an update...

SHOCK, SHOCK, UPDATE SHOCK!

hurrah for islands! (not that I dislike ANY map, but it looks so...)

EYE CANDY! etc... (keeps mumbling about the gorgous update, occasionally a burst of laughing)

and then I realise that I havent even seen the real update...

I'll get an ambulance ready every time I'll look @ renegadeX

Its to bad I cant code, saves time though. Its the best mod I've ever seen.

Ban4life

There have to be a new infantry unit, a new vehicle and a new building if these features will arrive:

A vehicle laundrette,

A sweeper infantry,

A sweeper vehicle.

both to clean the buildings from inside and out, and to clean the vehicles themselves.

Makes me wonder, will infantry get dirtier and more haggard looking over time too?

Anyways, It's a good update, and I'm waiting for the real one to come.

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

Wow, this is very cool. All of us out here are praying that it will be soon. I dont wanna die of old age and miss it! Yeah, I am almost that old. I still play and enjoy Renegade and look forward to seeing you all in the sights of a sniper rifle - soon!

Wiz

yea thats a good idea, the other problems i can have is that it says the download time expired when im only halfway through the download and then the service provider charges a fortune for somthing i did not get!

But i agree with the bittorrent option too.

HJ-Split

I know a bunch of sites that use this for downloading large "completely legitimate" files hehe :P

You can also split files into archives that automatically get combined when extracting them into the same folder all at the same time.

I, and probably many others, wouldn't mind hosting download mirrors either, if permitted.

QUOTE (Mighty BOB! @ Dec 6 2008, 03:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We could always release it over bittorrent if it ends up being very large.[/b]
This would also accelarate the download speed, if you use your fileserver as torrent-seeder...
Every big mod is shared over torrent, for example Forgotten Hope 2 (>2GB)

Also torrent splits a file in many parts and has checksums for every part, so the result is correct.

I'm sure having the files as a bittorrent wont be that big of a deal. We have the server(s) power to seed the files. We will give every method available so that people can get the files by their preferred chosen method.