question about beacon

=HT=Duro

someone in my clan asked me this:

Just me, but are beacons going to be ridiculously hard to find?

i found its areal good question .. he asked that after seeing Island ss .. in renny, beacon can be found fast cause no grass and vegetation .. do you plan to make beacon with more color, light or something?

QUOTE (epicelite @ Nov 21 2008, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good point people could hide them in the grass, how gay is that.[/b]
:angry:
Unless you can prove that both the beacon and the grass are the same sex I'd say it's not gay at all.

Anywho, I vote for a soft glow, and perhaps even a subtle (short) pillar of light where the beacon is. The UT3 engine may allow for dense vegetation, but it also allows for neat lighting and special effects....

Well as i remember from renegade, the closer you get to the beacon the louder it gets, why not just apply that same method? besides, what if around the barracks you added a small 1meter radius of pavement, would that make more sense from a building point of view? you lay your slab of cement, and then build on top of it.

just some thoughts :D

I know! How about if one person finds it, it would kind of become negetave-translucent so it could be seen through other objects? I mean if I found a beacon I would be yelling ITS OVER HERE ENGINEERS HURRY SHIT SHIT SHITTTT!

Also it would look cool!

So like player X sees beacon, targets it. Then it can be seen trough everything by his team but if nobody is looking at it then it goes back to normal.

QUOTE (epicelite @ Nov 24 2008, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know! How about if one person finds it, it would kind of become negetave-translucent so it could be seen through other objects? I mean if I found a beacon I would be yelling ITS OVER HERE ENGINEERS HURRY SHIT SHIT SHITTTT!

Also it would look cool!

So like player X sees beacon, targets it. Then it can be seen trough everything by his team but if nobody is looking at it then it goes back to normal.[/b]

They are already working on something for the radar that if you target someone, or something, that it will appear on your teammates radar. So targeting beacons would indeed help (I think).

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

QUOTE (epicelite @ Nov 27 2008, 06:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am not asking for a detailed picture but like SOMETHING! outline of buildings and shit.[/b]

Before Renegade-X comes out, you should really try to use the radar. It is the way to check if that guy that just entered a building was an enemy or not, the way to check which enemy buildings are currently being infiltrated by friendlies and which probably could use a helping hand, it's the way to keep track of where your backup is. If blibs suddenly dissapear off the screen, I am usually the victor in the following battle as I wasn't surprise attacked. It is also the way I gather people for APC rushes, checking in which buildings friendlies are hidden, and then trying to give them the hint by hovering near them.

The radar right now is already very handy if you know how to use it, and with Renegade-X improving it, it will really be a valuable tool throughout the game.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

QUOTE (epicelite @ Dec 1 2008, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also it is made over 9000% more useless by the fact that most servers check the "show teammates only" box...[/b]

They don't check that, it's what it is set to by default. So many servers just originally left it as default and after a while, it just became the standard.

I prefer playing with the radar in that default state then having all enemies show up too. It's too easy to track down beacons, or see if someone is sneaking up on you.

But in this default state, you can still use it pretty good, as I expained earlier. It takes a little practice and logical thinking on the spot, but it works for me.

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

yeah.. you can easely find the beacon!! (just wait and there will be a big light to it ;-), and not even that! --> exploasion, too) !! ;)

Dont forget to run to it after seeing the light! (you may miss the best)

For beacons: I think the idea of having concrete in between buildings and grass and the like is the best solution. But what will be more problematic will be the mines.

Mines could be very well hidden between the grass. Would that be completely fair? We cannot just put a big light on top of those mines, because spotting mines in time on your own is the whole trick, and placing mines somewhere where people run into it before they see them is a whole tactic too.

But hiding them in the grass goes a little too far I think. Perhaps you could, although I think it might be a lot of programming, have the grass bend down and make easy to spot openings in the grass. This way mines can be spotted while it's in the grass, but it still makes you walk on your toes when you enter it.

And while I'm at it, you let snow leave footprints, as well as muddy riverbanks and tall grass could leave trails where someone walked had a tour in a vehicle.

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.