the crazy strafing sniper dance...

CRiX2k

ok... i dont know what its called, but you all know what im talking about. pressing [A] and [D] so fast it looks like your player is going into convulsions... ;) anyways, i know that the w3d engine works waaaay differently than the unreal engine, will this movement be carried over into renegade x? (i hope not, it looks ridiculous) :P

The W3D engine had a few flaws, such as that if you move only a tiny bit and return to your original place instantly, then it may seem you never moved at all. Wallhugging makes use of this, you stay near a wall, move sideways, fire, and return. The enemy never saw you, but you just got a shot off at them.

That's why I'm so eager for this mod: it would solve lots and lots of such deaths by people who make use of things that weren't supposed to happen. Take refhopping. I know how to do it, but I don't do it because you weren't supposed to get up there.

Some people say 'but there's area's where you can die on top of ref when you get up, so it's fair'

I say 'Those area's were put there to PREVENT people from doing it'. While I think wallhopping should be possible as if people gave you a leg up. Getting on top of places where you should not be able to get in any way should just be that, impossible to get there.

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

• 5 months later...
QUOTE (CRiX2k @ Sep 2 2008, 07:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok... i dont know what its called, but you all know what im talking about. pressing [A] and [D] so fast it looks like your player is going into convulsions... ;) anyways, i know that the w3d engine works waaaay differently than the unreal engine, will this movement be carried over into renegade x? (i hope not, it looks ridiculous) :P[/b]

Nobody is doing that, its a sniper bug.
If you zoom in and move, you will move slower. Other computers will see you doing the quick moving thing however.
Looks like the cpu wants to let you go with the "normal" speed, then realises you shouldnt, and puts you a bit back.
If you crouch or jump, it doesnt happen. Only if you are walking.

I hope they wont,transfer it to renegade-x, because it would be MUCH easyer to pray on people sniping. Its really irritating if you want to hs them with a rocket launcher and they are moving like that. My killcount would rise like hell =)

About the wallhugging thing. Its an unfair advantage and should be removed. If you get free shots at people, it should be your skill, not a bug.
If I go using all the bugs I know, I would be the most irritating person on the server, killing 80% before they have a chance to even shoot at me, because they simply cant.

Refhop is something that should be changed. At the moment, its difficult to get on top of it, and thus if you succeed, no-one can disarm your beacon. They just cant get up fast enough and not die by your fire.
There are two options for me here:
1. Remove it
2. Make it so that, if you use teamwork (eg. use another person to get on top of it) it is easy. If some1 places a beacon there, it WILL be much harder to disarm it, BUT it will not be a definite killer.

Realising I'm not on my ban4life account, and not knowing i had this account, I'm ban4life btw :)
Ban4life

QUOTE (epicelite @ Feb 8 2009, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use the arrow keys, WASD is for n00bs.

I was plain' FPS when you were all still in diapers! :P

lol doom.[/b]

"WASD is for n00bs"
heh
Depends on your point of view, i think most pro's use wasd :)
ah, the good old times I used the arrows!

You are right about that you were playing fps when we were still in diapers.
We were playing fps then too....

QUOTE (Ban4life @ Feb 8 2009, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"WASD is for n00bs"
heh
Depends on your point of view, i think most pro's use wasd :)
ah, the good old times I used the arrows!

You are right about that you were playing fps when we were still in diapers.
We were playing fps then too....[/b]

it depends on your point of view what you like. On normal keyboard i play with arrow keys and i've made my own key mapping which i use for all FPS. But on laptop keyboard i play with WASD, can't say it's for noobs sometimes it's even harder to reach most of the keys lol

• Totem Arts Staff

I use WASD because it's way easier - I just have both my arms going straight, my right straight to the mouse, the left straight to the WASD keys. If I used arrows, my left arm would have to reach all the way down there and that's not something I'm willing to do.

Plus, arrows suck in Renegade. You can't strafe side to side with the left and right arrows.

QUOTE (=HT=Duro @ Feb 8 2009, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
funny discussion lol i found that the ppl who use A and D trick with sniper are way easier to kill than other players. too easy to predict the movement[/b]

Disagreed
the movement is easy to predict, but if his head is in two different places every tenth of a second, its 50% chance you hit him with a sniper.

i'm one going for the quick kills.

Ban4life