Ren X Download Issue

MAF

oh ok. so how do i download it then cz i would download it, i tried on chrome and brave, and it would work at first but once its complete, the browser would cancel it and i would get a microsoft notification saying virus detected and then its not downloaded when i check my file downloads.

• Totem Arts Staff

Right Click Windows Security in the bottom right of the taskbar -> Click View Security Dashboard => Click Virus & Threat Protection => Click Protection History => Click Protection History => (Im forgetting what it will show as); but basically highlight the flagged download, click Actions & Allow. Then download again.

ok i really dont know what im doing wrong.

i install launcher, and it goes fine, i got to ren x tab, go on settings and install directory and select the folder i want to put it in, click okay and then click install and just no progress happens.😭😭

p.s virus thing stopped happening btw

and why is this only me 😂😭😭😭

Edited by MAF

• Totem Arts Staff

No progress means the launcher hit an error. Currently error reporting by the launcher is not very good.

The most common reason for stalling this early in the update process is that the directory you've selected can't be written to. Are you trying to install to `C:\Program Files` or `C:\Program Files (x86)` or something?

If this is the case I recommend the following:

1. Select a new install directory.
  2. In the dialog in the directory bar at the top of the dialog enter (without the quotes) `%LOCALAPPDATA%`. Once you press enter it should say something like `<your username> > AppData > Local`.
  3. Click on New folder button and create a `RenegadeX` folder.
  4. Double click on the new folder.
  5. Click on the Select Folder button to close the dialog.

Then when you verify it should install properly.

• 2 weeks later...

tbh, this "Totem Launcher" has acted really odd and made installing/updating the game way more confusing.

For example, I click join server and it takes about 30 seconds for the Ren-X splash screen to even show up.....which is odd given the old launcher didnt do this...

Also, this launcher does the same thing the last one started doing at some point--it needs admin privileges to open...  Which...it shouldn't ever need...  I saw NodSaibot (/Sarah?) 's response about not putting the install directory in Program Files but...since when do program files not get installed in Program Files?

• Totem Arts Staff

If the launcher is installed in a central location, such as C:\Program Files that requires administrative access to write to it will need to ask for administrative rights to update itself.  The launcher is by default installed in C:\Program Files and a launcher update has been released yesterday, so that's probably what you're seeing.

When you click Join Server the launcher just starts the game. It doesn't do anything that should take any noticeable amount of time before that. The game however can take quite a while before popping up the splash screen in some cases.

On 1/5/2023 at 3:22 AM, Silv said:

If the launcher is installed in a central location, such as C:\Program Files that requires administrative access to write to it will need to ask for administrative rights to update itself.  The launcher is by default installed in C:\Program Files and a launcher update has been released yesterday, so that's probably what you're seeing.

When you click Join Server the launcher just starts the game. It doesn't do anything that should take any noticeable amount of time before that. The game however can take quite a while before popping up the splash screen in some cases.

my experience with both the Totem Arts and Ren-x launchers has been that it won't even open unless I give it admin privileges.....  and going straight to the binary has no delay--just the Totem Arts launcher does...  ren-x launcher never had that problem

Not saying you're wrong, even though you're a Totem Arts developer!  just what happens to me.  also since I have your attention, please fix the soundbug

12 hours ago, AshbyJones said:

my experience with both the Totem Arts and Ren-x launchers has been that it won't even open unless I give it admin privileges.....  and going straight to the binary has no delay--just the Totem Arts launcher does...  ren-x launcher never had that problem

Not saying you're wrong, even though you're a Totem Arts developer!  just what happens to me.  also since I have your attention, please fix the soundbug

Do you still have soundbug? I think i didn't have sound bug for 1 year at least.

Edited by Odanert
broken english

On 12/25/2022 at 10:03 AM, Silv said:

No progress means the launcher hit an error. Currently error reporting by the launcher is not very good.

The most common reason for stalling this early in the update process is that the directory you've selected can't be written to. Are you trying to install to `C:\Program Files` or `C:\Program Files (x86)` or something?

If this is the case I recommend the following:

1. Select a new install directory.
  2. In the dialog in the directory bar at the top of the dialog enter (without the quotes) `%LOCALAPPDATA%`. Once you press enter it should say something like `<your username> > AppData > Local`.
  3. Click on New folder button and create a `RenegadeX` folder.
  4. Double click on the new folder.
  5. Click on the Select Folder button to close the dialog.

Then when you verify it should install properly.

downloading now, working so far..... thx

so it finally downloaded and when i selected the server to join, it was like 50/64 but when it loaded it kicked me out saying full capacity. i tried multiple times. also on the actual game, no servers were showing up. only on the launcher

• Totem Arts Staff

If the server kicks you out that means the server was actually at full capacity. Sometimes it fills up quite fast in the time between starting the game and the game actually getting around to connecting to the server.

Did you maybe wait a minute between clicking the Renegade X tab and connecting to the server? The launcher doesn't automatically refresh the server list so in that case the 50/64 would not reflect the current situation.

That the server list inside the game is broken is a known issue.