What are your favorite roles in the game?

Silv

Favorite role(s)  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favorite roles to pick up?

• Anti-Infantry Infantry - True classics never go out of style.
    • Anti-Vehicle Infantry - The bigger they are, the harder they fall.
    • Sniper - Patient as a spider, deadly as a scorpion.
    • Tanker - Big machines with big guns doing big damage.
    • Rusher - Being there when the magic happens.
    • Sneaker - Beyond notice but not beyond impact.
    • Base Defender - Keeping our house clean of pests.
    • Taxi - Bringing our team closer to victory, literally.
    • Repairer - Keeping our team in fighting shape.
    • Commander - Making plays and guiding the team to victory.
    • Other

• Totem Arts Staff

I personally wouldn't describe that as feeding. But then as a dedicated engi my K/D ratio tends to veer spectacularly towards the D side so I'm biased. :P

Maybe the poll needs a few extra options for the more negative roles:

• Feeder - The other team needs VPs too.
  • Pollster - The first important thing in any match is to change the map.
  • Backseat Driver - Other people are just playing the game wrong.
  • Tongue Whip - Motivating people by telling them how much they suck.
  • Roadblock - Nobody gets in or out of here, what do you mean "how about us"?
  • Pusher - You're in my way, and now in the line of fire.
  • Creative Miner - My mining patterns frequently win me votes.
  • Politician - Let's talk about some nice non-controversial issues like real world conflicts.
  • Cheater - I just won the game, why is my team mad at me?
  • Soloist - Teamplay? I don't do that.

Probably too long a list. 😜

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/30/2022 at 10:29 AM, Silv said:

I personally wouldn't describe that as feeding. But then as a dedicated engi my K/D ratio tends to veer spectacularly towards the D side so I'm biased. :P

Maybe the poll needs a few extra options for the more negative roles:

• Feeder - The other team needs VPs too.
  • Pollster - The first important thing in any match is to change the map.
  • Backseat Driver - Other people are just playing the game wrong.
  • Tongue Whip - Motivating people by telling them how much they suck.
  • Roadblock - Nobody gets in or out of here, what do you mean "how about us"?
  • Pusher - You're in my way, and now in the line of fire.
  • Creative Miner - My mining patterns frequently win me votes.
  • Politician - Let's talk about some nice non-controversial issues like real world conflicts.
  • Cheater - I just won the game, why is my team mad at me?
  • Soloist - Teamplay? I don't do that.

Probably too long a list. 😜

You forgot team hamperer

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2022 at 6:51 PM, roweboat said:

Taxi can be fun on walls; otherwise I find it most fun being on the front lines =D

I think taxi can be fun everywhere, and on every map

There are players who drive humvee or buggy through the whole match, looking for a passenger :)

all you have to do is to just get on their vehicle, they will get you where ever you need to be, without even asking you a single thing

They are the loveliest players in the renx

• Like 2

I voted Taxi, because im pretty much the only one that buys APC during the match. Though people rarely want a ride. So instead i provide support fire against infantry, aircraft, artillary and suppressive fire against snipers. The vehicle is pretty versatile, due to its good health pool and because the gun can reach certain angles due to its gun position. You can reach where no other infantry or tank cant. Very usefull when getting camped.

Meds don't seem to have much of a surival instinct. In one match i was at GDI wich was camping Nod's entrance. Nod managed to break through by destroying some mammy's and at that point i was in a APC, shooting snipers and sneaky Noddies. And for some reason all the meds where just standing there, looking for tanks to repair. But noone got the idea to get into the apc, get to base and like, save money and not giving away VP to Nod. People is med form are strange beings. As if they are stubbornly roleplaying bots. 

4 hours ago, GroundBird said:

I voted Taxi, because im pretty much the only one that buys APC during the match. Though people rarely want a ride. So instead i provide support fire against infantry, aircraft, artillary and suppressive fire against snipers. The vehicle is pretty versatile, due to its good health pool and because the gun can reach certain angles due to its gun position. You can reach where no other infantry or tank cant. Very usefull when getting camped.

Meds don't seem to have much of a surival instinct. In one match i was at GDI wich was camping Nod's entrance. Nod managed to break through by destroying some mammy's and at that point i was in a APC, shooting snipers and sneaky Noddies. And for some reason all the meds where just standing there, looking for tanks to repair. But noone got the idea to get into the apc, get to base and like, save money and not giving away VP to Nod. People is med form are strange beings. As if they are stubbornly roleplaying bots. 

Repping is +-fun and generally easy—you’re helping without having to be responsible for any actual strategy…getting into the apc is a big risk—generally doesn’t work out—and you have to think/probs get yelled at by shpetim

• Totem Arts Staff
11 hours ago, GroundBird said:

I think you're overestimating the value of a few VP and the cost of an advanced engineer here. Reps ("meds" means medium tanks in game lingo) tend to be flush with cash due to repairing being very profitable so having to rebuy after a base breach is not very important. A few VP (rep kills give on average guesstimated 4.3 VP, light tank kills 8.3, medium tank kills 10.5, mammoth tank kills about 17) isn't going to change the match. Meanwhile if I'm there having no real purpose and someone shoots at me at least they're not shooting anyone who can stop the rush. In case of base breach the survival of an engineer is of least importance.

That said you're driving an APC past reps in an active situation. Our instincts in that case are not self preservation but protecting something else, be it buildings or sydneys or that APC that's taking fire and can take out enemy infantry.

Btw, you're missing the worst part of a rep getting shot: the time it takes for the rep to get back to their position and the resulting vulnerability of tanks. Much less of an issue when the fight is inside the base but it's really the major reason reps try to avoid getting shot in the field.

• Totem Arts Staff

Regarding taxi in general, it's not quite as useful as one may think. A taxi has use when there's infantry in base that needs to get to the front lines and waiting for the taxi takes significantly less time than just walking or is significantly safer. Infantry inside a taxi is useless (slight exception: chinook where two passengers can control guns) so walking / running to the destination has the benefit of possibly doing something useful. As a rep it's often the case that I can repair tanks I pass by bit, offensive infantry can often attack enemies while getting to the front line. As for safety it's not common for the walk to the frontline to be dangerous as enemies tend to focus on the reps at the front.

Often a taxi isn't even needed, if there are frequent enough tanks going to the front it's easy enough to hitch a ride with those. Even on walls jumping into an orca/apache is a decent alternative.

In contrast a vehicle standing around in base is actually less likely to receive passengers as it's not clear that it's a taxi waiting. People buy fast tanks for a lot of reasons and some like to stand around in base shooting at enemies. Getting people to recognize a vehicle as a taxi actually requires a fair bit of advertising or a strong convention (chinook in middle of base on walls, probably a taxi).

In some situations a taxi is actually even harmful. It's one less vehicle slot that can be filled with useful tanks. Now, granted, most vehicle slots are not filled with very useful tanks (mammoth tanks, artillery/mrls and stealth tanks are not good general purpose choices but are popular) but still, it's one less vehicle slot that could be used to assault an enemy base.

Looking at Walls, why taxi's work so well there it's a combination of these and other factors:

1. A chinook takes something like 10 seconds at most to get to plateau from base whereas the long way around takes probably about 30 seconds.
  2. The infantry path to plateau is pretty dangerous due to having to cross field and the center of the stairs.
  3. Plateau is a key area, anything that helps take and hold plateau helps greatly to win the game.
  4. Because of all this the presence of taxi's on Walls is standard so people wanting to go to plateau are more likely to look for a taxi.
  5. Minor bonus: a chinook can be somewhat effective at suppressing infantry before landing, helping with taking plateau more directly.
  • Like 1