FPI Restorable structures.

isupreme

Feedback.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I only played the tail end of a brutal game and the start of  another.    So really  I cannot say much as of yet.

But ofc i will say......

I find it interesting that while playing, as soon as I learned the new mechanic,   that it shifted the game play in my head.     O, sure its easy to say... I started focusing on money more...  but....

But it is kinda funky how it changes the game. 

I do not know if  I like it or not.      I worry that early base buildings kills will be too painful. ..    But i do like how a larger narrative of story line is created!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I want to thank FPI for letting me try this mod.

At first i was resistant.  But I am well known for resisting change.   ( I hated rep tools for all.)

But the truth is in the game play....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tonight with the servers dead quiet.   I went and played on the FPI restorable structures server.

I realize now... that this could be a great advantage in building server activity.   

ONLY 1k  for the first building  reset?     Nice.      Heck that is doable on a 1 v 1 level.

I could see this helping get low population servers to maintain activity..

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 12:13 AM, Odanert said:

Imagine a 3hr field when you got to destroy a building, they just rebuild it again.

This is a concern I've seen a few players voice. However, currently in v0.2 there is a 10 minute timer before a building can be brought back online. 

So restore flow goes like this: the team purchases the restore, then has to wait 10 minutes before the building will be brought back online, then after the building has been brought back online that building cannot be restored again for 10 minutes due to cool down.

In a later version I'm looking at making the building being brought back online have health but no functionality for 10 minutes, allowing the opposing team to stop the restore.

27 minutes ago, kira said:

Yes i beleive pieman said 2K credits per player if im not wrong 

1 hour ago, NodSaibot said:

From my understanding, the price scales with playercount in some way.

For buildings It's currently set to 1k per player and defences 156 per player.  So for example if there are 2 players in-game that would make buildings 2k and defences 312. So for 64 players that is 64k for buildings and 10k for defences with the cost doubling each time a restore is purchased.

On 9/12/2022 at 5:03 AM, isupreme said:

I want to thank FPI for letting me try this mod.

At first i was resistant.  But I am well known for resisting change.   ( I hated rep tools for all.)

But the truth is in the game play....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tonight with the servers dead quiet.   I went and played on the FPI restorable structures server.

I realize now... that this could be a great advantage in building server activity.   

ONLY 1k  for the first building  reset?     Nice.      Heck that is doable on a 1 v 1 level.

I could see this helping get low population servers to maintain activity..

Thanks for feedback, it's nice to see players enjoying the mod.

The scaling purchase cost is actually due to player feedback (regarding making it viable in low pop servers) which I value greatly so if you or anyone has any other feedback I'm always happy to hear what it is, all feedback is good feedback.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cause... bots really help when there are no players....   

Why not?   if the bots take a building down..   ( which level 5s + are known to do)......     we can rebuild.

AND!   if the bots crash the game... it goes to field anyway.....

cmon. ... BE the Renegade!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2022 at 6:44 AM, isupreme said:

Why you no bots?

Probably for the reason of bots crashing the game server. It has been an issue even in the vanilla version since a year or two, until there are means and resources to mend that first, I don't think many servers - if any - would enable bots.

The Official Totem arts server currently uses bots.     

I have often made use of them when we are low population.   If the bots crash then the default map is usually Field, which is also favorable  for low population.     In my experience the crash rate is fairly low when the bots are not tooooo  many.

I find when there are less than 8 players then players will vote for them....  then usually dump them when over 10 players.

I say all this because I consider  FPI restorable structures as also beneficial to building population in a server.  - and we need that sometimes.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/23/2022 at 9:12 PM, isupreme said:

More Feedback:

Would you consider scaling the time required for buildings to reset - to the size of teams?    Similar to the way cost scales.

In a very very small game, 10 min feels like an eternity.

just a  thought.....     Thanks for the fun.

I can explore this in a later version to give server admins the choice of scaling it based on player count.

At the moment the set amount of time it takes to restore is configurable, it's just currently set to 10 minutes but this could change in the future when new features of the mod come out.

On 12/3/2022 at 5:14 AM, isupreme said:

Would you please consider Bots?

You mean bots to contribute towards building costs? It is on the list to do but currently bots themselves have been crashing servers so usually they are disabled for stability. Though like you have mentioned I have also played on the Totem Arts server with bots enabled and from personal experience I've only encountered issues when both teams are full of bots, maybe limiting amount of bots could help alleviate that issue though, more of a bandage than a fix though.

Since your here, here's a sneak peak of the next version, though this version is not quite finished yet: 

The idea of this mechanic is that the structure that is being restored will be given a restore integrity bar and if the opposing team reduces that to zero then the restore fails and is prevented, the integrity of the restore can be increased by using a repair gun as you would with repairing a structure.  If the restore succeeds then the current integrity value is converted to the health of the structure when it is restored so it's beneficial to keep this as high as possible before the building is restored, additionally when a structure is restored it will be restored with no armour and thus will need to be repaired.

New in this version:
 1. Structure restores can be prevented by the opposing team by decreasing the integrity bar
 2. Buildings which are being restored or in "offline" mode are shown as red in the scoreboard
 3. You can visually see that a structure is being restored and the amount of time remaining
 4. Team messages displayed to show when a restore is in progress and when completed or prevented.
 5. Purchasing Hotwire / Technician using shortcut key now works

Remember that overall the mod is still very much a work in progress and that is the same with this version which still has a few things to add/change before being put onto a server for testing.

Timers such as time to restore are all changeable via config file and are intentionally short for this demo.

Feedback is always welcome!

Edited by PieMan
  • Thanks 1

The effect on the obelisk is awesome.

I would be  pumped to see what these ideas achieve.

for me,  anytime we can give players abilities to shape the battle - then we give them more power.. or at least the Feeling of power...   The better.

i.e.   more abilities = more dynamic fun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>looks for the FPI server .......

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 11:10 AM, PieMan said:

This is a concern I've seen a few players voice. However, currently in v0.2 there is a 10 minute timer before a building can be brought back online. 

So restore flow goes like this: the team purchases the restore, then has to wait 10 minutes before the building will be brought back online, then after the building has been brought back online that building cannot be restored again for 10 minutes due to cool down.

In a later version I'm looking at making the building being brought back online have health but no functionality for 10 minutes, allowing the opposing team to stop the restore.

For buildings It's currently set to 1k per player and defences 156 per player.  So for example if there are 2 players in-game that would make buildings 2k and defences 312. So for 64 players that is 64k for buildings and 10k for defences with the cost doubling each time a restore is purchased.

Thanks for feedback, it's nice to see players enjoying the mod.

The scaling purchase cost is actually due to player feedback (regarding making it viable in low pop servers) which I value greatly so if you or anyone has any other feedback I'm always happy to hear what it is, all feedback is good feedback.

Would Turrets, Guard Towers, or Sam Sites be considered restorable structures as well?

And if not would that be an option as a future update? Imagine if you could manage to rebuild these defenses, each time more players may become aware that it needs to be kept alive. Potentially creating a devastating heroic defense. Never before seen by my eyes. Who has witnessed such a thing? Of course it would reconstruct as a recruit. 💀

On 2/11/2023 at 6:43 AM, Killah said:

Would Turrets, Guard Towers, or Sam Sites be considered restorable structures as well?

And if not would that be an option as a future update? Imagine if you could manage to rebuild these defenses, each time more players may become aware that it needs to be kept alive. Potentially creating a devastating heroic defense. Never before seen by my eyes. Who has witnessed such a thing? Of course it would reconstruct as a recruit. 💀

Yes and this is already part of the mod, when destroyed they don't disappear and show as "Destroyed" and can be restored at a purchase terminal, though currently they do not have a timer or effect and just restore instantly upon purchase. Here is a demo from the previous version of the mod.

• Like 1