News Discord & Forum/Social-Media...

Why is news like this important only published on Discord and not also in the forum or on other social media platforms?

It's probably a bad joke that you're expecting to join TA's Official Discord to get updates on current topics, do you urgently need more users on this Discord or is it "a secret for a closed (elite) society"?

Hello! It is time for a packed updated for the community, it's a mixed bag so have a read.
UPDATE:
First and foremost, FA and the public release.
We are close to releasing the Firestorm Assault Game mode on UDK.
Our next step was to begin on-boarding for larger scale testing over a time before we were to release the Firestorm Assault (FA) game mode for the public, the applications are ready to go and so were we, however we had run into some roadblocks.

Prime being we are being hit by DMCA claims for our hosting, this is being pursued by a previous member of the team, now anyone who has experience with YouTube, music, streamers will know DMCA take downs can be done without basis, creating frivolous and tedious issues unless addressed.
The process of which can take time and may verge into legal deliberations needing resolved through court, an expensive prospect considering we are a volunteer project.
Our donations have always been for the benefit of development and infrastructure deriving no personal profit as per the guidelines set out however it's clear this fact is sadly being weaponized against us.

Without going into too much detail about what we plan to do, I will explain clearly that we will not onboard testers or players if the game is being held hostage.

So we are delayed due to circumstances out of our hands at this point, ideally this won't be long, but it just means a better experience as soon as we get the green light.

The game is good, the game is fun, building a world in a way never seen before.
It's an experience.

Firestorm itself is unique in that there's no game quite like what we have achieved so far and we're so looking forward to bringing it to everyone, with all the character, time and love we have put into it.

That said the team has made a unanimous decision to move Firestorm to UE5.

We do not feel that UDK is capable of delivering the experience we want, the level of detail and intricacy, to really bring the world to life.
What we have asked of UDK is straining the limits and so have begun work on building for the new engine, make no mistake though that Firestorm Assault will still be available on UDK and is imminent for public intake and final release.
Partnered with restructuring we will be streamlining a new development process which will allow...
For faster and more concise development plans
More readily available updates for the community
A swifter development in accordance with the new bells and whistles of UE5 coupled with the fact we have near every major decision already made.
This would essentially be a port of our existing work, which will streamline things immensely.

Anyone who has seen what UE5 looks like will know this opens the doors for some very interesting things.
Here's a small look at what that means for us.
The terrain, the world, the weather, the lighting, the photo reflective visors, the ping of casings and bullet ricochets...
We're bringing C&C into the modern day and it looks amazing.

We said the game is good. It is.
So stay tuned for Firestorm Assault, we will be accepting applications for UDK once this issue is resolved.
For those who want a summary:
Former staff member hitting infrastructure with DMCA.
Firestorm Assault game mode will complete in UDK, opening up testing applications imminently.
Release within reach.
Firestorm the full game with base building, destruction and a full C&C experience will be delivered in UE5, release TBD.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Undertaker said:

Why is news like this important only published on Discord and not also in the forum or on other social media platforms?

It's probably a bad joke that you're expecting to join TA's Official Discord to get updates on current topics, do you urgently need more users on this Discord or is it "a secret for a closed (elite) society"?

Yes, it was indeed a secret for a closed (elite) society.

And now we have to kill you.
You know too much. :(

Y'have a fair point though.
Time to blow some life into this forum.

The lack of which *may* be because the forum was freshly redesigned recently.
Domain branding has been severely damaged by Renegade-X.com being hijacked, also causing any and all SEO to have been fully reset.

So there's not all that many visitors here in the first place.
Some end up on Renegade-X.com, while others simply do not recognize the Totem Arts brand and will assume the project has died.

So while working on improving that, I fully agree with your suggestion to duplicate any and all mid and long term announcements to the forum.
While Discord-only announcements can include the more short term stuff like "Get ready for PUG!!" or some random partner-community anniversary.

It will make it more worthwhile to visit the forum; since it retains its function of "being informed".
Yet without overstepping this, since it would be useless to try and push 30 minute PUG announcements through it.

• Like 2

As someone who feels very active in the game, and a frequent user of the Forum,   I find the Preference for Discord problematic at best.  The Bias is obvious.

I am glad that when ever there are new player posts with questions - they get feedback.     THAT is  Wonderful.

Edited by isupreme

• Totem Arts Staff

It's no malice or anything towards the forums. it's simply that message boards are an archaic way of communication compared to something like discord. Here things are static and messaging platform like discord are much more fluid and responsive; instant basically.

To each their own. I still think these boards do have their place... for historical reference 😛

• Sad 1

well,

>look around the room.  Mostly dark and obscured, but some areas barely lit.

1. >find streamers and deflated balloons.

>remains of fun litter the floor and sounds of good times reverberate in the walls and floor.  Its as if a party of the century has been abruptly stopped.  Confetti, poppers.  empty champagne glasses......

The sun rises and a new day begins. 

> With broom I  sweep the floor. 

> empties the dust into the bin

>crosses stage left and exits.

Edited by isupreme
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2022 at 4:50 PM, roweboat said:

Good example here. Took nearly 3 days for a response... when on a place like discord... an answer and discussion could be had in mere moments.

But this answer will be kept here forever but on discord the answer would be lost as tears in the rain.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 year later...

I totally get your point about news being shared only on Discord. It can sometimes feel like a club with exclusive info, right? But sometimes, it's just the platform of choice for quick updates.
Regarding your question, it seems like the team's dealing with some DMCA issues, which can be a real headache. They're committed to resolving it, so the delay is just temporary. And it's awesome to hear about their plans to move Firestorm to UE5 – exciting times ahead!
If you're into music, you can check out options to get instant Spotify plays. It can help boost your tracks and get your music out there.

Edited by Tesyrity

Tesyrity Welcome to Forums  

it's just the platform of choice for quick updates.

True.   I guess that makes forums the place for considered and deliberated discussion.  The kind I find has the greatest potential for c;hanging the future of the game for the better.  

But I hasten to add, that lately, a lot of input I would offer on RenegadeX, I have not contributed because of the Clear and Overwhelming reality that all resources are currently going to Firestorm instead.

Edited by isupreme
  • Like 1