CoolLauncher

CommanderCool

Gamers,

I proudly present CoolLauncher, an alternative launcher for Renegade X.

https://github.com/CommCool/CoolLauncher

screenshot.jpg.c5af93c0d6a88492e70a0dfae34fdeb6.jpg

Why on Kane's green tiberium infested earth would I ever use this shitty launcher?

Alright hear me out: this community only ever manages to fill up one server at a time, and we all wanna play on that one server. Sometimes that server is full, which means you can use the boring old modestly colored "official" launcher and press refresh manually until you get bored and go do something else - OR you could use the CoolLauncher which has an automatic queue functionality: if the server is full, the join button conveniently changes into an Activate Auto-Join button and you can click it to join the queue for the server (click again to deactivate). Now the CoolLauncher checks every couple of seconds if a spot opened up and if so plays a cool notifcation sound (Oh yeah!) and starts renx and joins that server automatically (it should be called CoolestLauncher really).

I'm not gonna launch some random .exe downloaded off the internet

I'm glad you're taking your gaming & jerk-off station's security serious. That's why this launcher is completely open source. You can check the sauce code yoself or ask someone who knows basic JavaScript to check it for you (but srlsy it's 2022, learn some JavaScript n00b) and - if you got the skills - even compile your own .exe using electron-packager (not documented here).

If you are uncomfortable with launching random .exe files anyway, you can:

1. Download and install the node package manager (npm) from https://www.npmjs.com/ and restart your system (srlsy don't skip this step, this is important).
  2. Download the CoolLauncher off of GitHub and and unzip it: https://github.com/CommCool/CoolLauncher
  3. Open the CoolLauncher directory in the windows terminal.
  4. Type
    npm install
    and wait for the required packages to be installed.
  5. Type
    npm start
    to start the CoolLauncher. Oh yeah!

User testimonies

"eye-searing" - Anonymous
"Stop DMing me, I don't know who you are or what you want" - NodSailbot
"amazon same-day delivery" - Luigi

Change log

v0.1

- The Cool Launcher logo is now animated.

v0.2

- Cool Guy's Shades are now tinted a cool orange

- Updated deprecated realm list url

Edited by CommanderCool
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

First I have to congratulate you on the subtlety of the design. A job well done.

Second: How about a feature that suggests the cued up people to collectively join a new server? Maybe when the cue reaches a certain number of possible players - 10 to 15 or maybe even 20. IIRC @roweboat suggested something like this a while ago? Am I right boat?

• Like 2

Hey there,

I respect your work and your enthusiasm, especially this idea of a queue system. This is a needed system which should be implemented into Renegade X for sure.

Though, I kinda feel like your "Launcher's" queue system is kinda useless. Renegade X takes around 1 whole minute until it is even loaded up. Until then, that free slot is already used by an other player already.

So a queue system via Launcher is useless..

To stand-by "in-game" within the Multiplayer Server List and spam the refresh button there, as well as to hope RenX won't "hard crash" by spamming the refresh button, is a faster and more secure way to join a filled server in where a single slot becomes available. Even then, one might be faster than you. Most chances to enter a filled up server is during a map change of course.

A queue system is needed "in-game", not through the launcher. Except this launcher would "reserve" a slot to create a joining ticket.. This might be an idea "for the Launcher", but I guess, RenX so needs some updated code for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Totem Arts Staff
2 hours ago, N3tRunn3r said:

Hey there,

I respect your work and your enthusiasm, especially this idea of a queue system. This is a needed system which should be implemented into Renegade X for sure.

Though, I kinda feel like your "Launcher's" queue system is kinda useless. Renegade X takes around 1 whole minute until it is even loaded up. Until then, that free slot is already used by an other player already.

So a queue system via Launcher is useless..

To stand-by "in-game" within the Multiplayer Server List and spam the refresh button there, as well as to hope RenX won't "hard crash" by spamming the refresh button, is a faster and more secure way to join a filled server in where a single slot becomes available. Even then, one might be faster than you. Most chances to enter a filled up server is during a map change of course.

A queue system is needed "in-game", not through the launcher. Except this launcher would "reserve" a slot to create a joining ticket.. This might be an idea "for the Launcher", but I guess, RenX so needs some updated code for it.

As far as I'm aware, the queue system and code for in-game stuff is all completely done by a community member but needs to be implemented by any server.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...