Is it within the EA agreement for Totem Arts to be a legal Non Profit?

isupreme

Is it within the EA agreement for Totem Arts to be a legal Non Profit?

When I asked about this before the agreement  -  I was told it was not possible.   Is it now possible?

I really would like to donate again.

Could  pursuing non profit status help resolve future conflicts about who is due what for their participation?

Non-profits are so easy to do it just 3 people and some paperwork.

There is an official organization already in place.

Could you please explain what this means?

... For me... a Non profit is an Officially recognized organization

Is Totem Arts a for profit enterprise?

Edited by isupreme

• Totem Arts Staff
On 3/14/2022 at 5:21 AM, isupreme said:

Could you please explain what this means?

... For me... a Non profit is an Officially recognized organization

Is Totem Arts a for profit enterprise?

To make clear what the intentions are as previously iterated by my fellow developers:
 - Any donations for RenX/FS will go towards either: the development of RenX/FS, game distribution infrastructure, game hosting infrastructure, and hosting of other critical server infrastructure like websites, our CI/CD systems, etc.
 - No volunteer of RenX/FS receives, nor will ever receive, monetary compensation for their work on RenX/FS; as it always has been, and always will be.
 - Certain technical/artistic skills are not available within our volunteer team, we may use part of the donations towards financing the assets created using that route.
 - In case we ever decide to stray away from EA IP, these donations will never go towards the development of the new IP, and a separate donation pool and button will be setup in that scenario.

Sonny.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the response and information.  While I do not understand the resistance to going non profit, I do appreciate knowing more about how donations will be used,

I feel your responses have answered my main concerns, especially with SonnyX's comments.     

Thanks!

• Totem Arts Staff

@isupreme also keep in mind, that these games are being developed by a global team. Laws / terminology / understanding may be different from region to region. 

It's fair to say that Totem Arts, at least in regards to Renegade-X & Firestorm; will always be a "not for profit" organization. (as highlighted by Sonny)

a "non-profit" is really more a legal term that allows larger organizations such charities and Churches avoid federal taxes.

So just to be clear. Just because the organization is not a "nonprofit", does automatically mean it is "for profit" 

• Like 1