Teamwork. A working Paper, Renegade X

isupreme

Current Rough Draft:    5/2/21      This is a work in progress.....    A mind exercise.    With no know benefits.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a list of ALL the ways that players express, experience or give Voice to Teamwork in Renegade X.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well...  we will see what kind of list results from this project.   I have been thinking a lot about the teamwork i love in this game and this will be a place  for that.     Comments and input will update this info.

My goal here is to explore all the ways that teamwork is utilized in this game.   As a community we often tout the glories of teamwork in this game.  This game is not just about being the Uber shooter.  Thankfully there is so much more fun to be found in teamwork.  Teamwork is a curious and subtle creature.   It can grow strong or be snuffed out.  Team spirit can turn on a dime.  

Could we INCREASE the teamwork in the game?   I do not know, but I think a good honest look at the current situation could be beneficial.    So... here goes.    Maybe we can see the paths to more teamwork.

Teamwork in Renegade X.   Outline.

1. In Game, battle

2. In Game, conceptual

3 In Game, Meta

4.Out of Game

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1.  In Game, battle.

a. repair help...  Healing infantry, tanks, and buildings./ resisting enemy advances.

b.firepower .  ie :   backup by shooting at same targets/joining rushes

c.base care.    ie repair buildings/mining/sound alarms.

2. In Game Conceptual

a. Cooperative driving

b. front line support

c.denial of entry

d.small squad tactics

e.  Commander abilities and harvy management

3.In Game, Meta

a. allowing the game to mature, not insta destruction

b.balancing

c. proper map choice for size teams

d. Commander ability to organize.

4. Out of game.

a. forums/ discord

b.donations

c. internet visibility.

d. development

Hmm..

Already I find this list interesting.   I am starting:  by looking at what I would consider the Most Essentials. What 3 are THE! most important to me i asked myself.   Right Away it is clear to me that the first category is the critical one.    When I play the game these elements most directly effect my perception of teamwork.  Base Repair, Healing and joint firepower. 

If this level of play is missing then my team feels deficient.    While the other categories would be nice, especially cooperative driving, there is really not going to be much teamwork experienced if the basic battle cooperation is not in place. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And yet, these most basic elements are not being communicated to new players. ??

Finding ways to incorporate this learning into the game would seem to be Critical to me.

1. we must find a way to communicate that this is about keeping your base ALIVE!

2. more ways to encourage cooperation between players.

Edited by isupreme
  • Like 2

The most frequent problems i perceive are...

Wrong game mentality: playing this game like its COD or CSGO etc, not understanding the running and gunning concept, not understanding its OK to die and instead finding their KD infuriating, not seeing the big picture and the role of a footsoldier in an RTS.
How to zerg and gaining the most value out of it, realizing the value of it.
Accusing players of cheating because of mundane feats that may be virtually impossible in more common FPS games.

Not understanding the flow of vehicle combat: I see this even among experienced players, CHICKENS WHO LET THE MOMENT SLIP PASS THEM, however with new players its an issue of not being able to hivemind, not being able to process and extrapolate information and act upon it (infantry issue also to some smaller degree) Bad drivers aren't a problem compared to drivers who only know how to be passive.

Difficulty noticing crucial information: reading the chat, reading the radio, reading the Map (just looking at it for a second gives you tons of info), perhaps even the commander messages to some degree. obvious as they may seem.

Not feeling comfortable taking on any role / realizing what role is currently required:
This is likely more related to inexperience than any other problems, its only becomes an apparent issue because the majority of players can run the maps and strategies like clockwork. Will solve itself if new players just stick around i think.

Im not strictly discussing teamwork here, but these issues certainly bleeds into it i think.

as a footnote, some taunts do have some tactical and reassuring morale function.
just as a "i am here with you", or more precisely...
SOON VICTORY WILL BE OURS, HAVE FAITH BROTHER, I HAVE YOU COVERED.

Edited by Syntharn
  • Like 1

Wrong game mentality: playing this game like its COD or CSGO etc, not understanding the running and gunning concept, not understanding its OK to die and instead finding their KD infuriating, not seeing the big picture and the role of a footsoldier in an RTS.

100 %.    Teamwork Tier 1 Essential.

Yah its interesting how the game allows a certain disfunctional teamwork thing. You cite several glaring examples.  Lately I think there must be a Do - able way to help new players understand the basics of teamwork.     If we could just communicate: Level 1 teamwork to everyone.... then we could move on to the more advanced items like recognizing the flow of vehicles combat.

1.  In Game, battle.

a. repair help...  Healing infantry, tanks, and buildings./ resisting enemy advances.

b.firepower .  ie :   backup by shooting at same targets/joining rushes

c.base care.    ie repair buildings/mining/sound alarms.