Assets of Renegade

BiggieSteals

Last time I'm gonna try this, I've message three people developing the mod simply asking if it was alright to rip the models out and just make a personal mod or public for another game using your content. I make no money off it just a hobby I enjoy doing. If I get no response to this I'm gonna assume its fine. 

I also don't know if this is the right topic 

Edited by BiggieSteals

• Former Developers

Hello,

Ruling in this case is pretty simple. If the project is in active development, then its a no. If its an older project that isn't actively being worked on, then that is a different story.

I know its easy to rip out our assets, however that doesn't mean one should. You have to understand that our assets aren't released or available to the public as source files. These are compiled and compressed assets for the engine that are being extracted out. Yes it is also inevitable that someone will do just that and take things out without asking. It's happened before and will very likely happen again. There were also cases in the past where individuals have "modified" ripped out assets and tried to profit off of those. Granted this is the worse case scenario but it has happened in the past. Things can very quickly spiral out of control as a result.

I understand that you do not wish to sell anything however these are assets built specifically for a project that is still very much in development. To see them being used outside of this project before the project's completion can be harmful to the relationship between the project and the authors of said assets as they often end up becoming distrusting of the project and can cause issues with artists leaving or even worse not allowing use of their work.

We are certainly humbled that people are inspired by our work and wish to use what we've done and build on top of it. However we ask that you also please respect the hard work by each developer and artist that spend hours if not days into creating every single asset. After we're done with the project that is when we're likely to allow the public to use them. We are wrapping up Renegade X pretty soon so until then we kindly ask that you do not use our assets in other projects. What you chose to do for your own use is up to you, however when it comes to anything visible to the public then that is where we draw the line.

I've had my own personal and project specific work stolen on several occasions, and it sucks when that happens. I'd like to protect the work of the many artists and developers that have contributed to this project. I hope you can understand why in this case the answer is no.

Regards,
Havoc89

• Like 3