CNC-Forest needs some more cover for Nod?

Ryz

Map needs more cover for (Nod) vehicles  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Map needs more cover for (Nod) vehicles

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

Hi,

First of all compliments for the great (and well thought trough) map. Too bad the 'inf' path changed in last updates and our doza rush failed because nobody knew about the change :P

Jokes aside.

I wonder how others think about this, but I guess the map needs some more cover for (Nod) vehicles. Sofar I've seen GDI win the map 6 out 6 times I played it. Usually GDI tanks just blast Nod vehicles to dust but in most maps you can use the terrain to your adventage as Nod. On this map I haven't seen it. It might either be my experience but then I've had the same one every time I was Nod.

Posting this to get some feedback. 

• Like 1

I think it would be interesting if each vehicle path was more advantageous to one side. Maybe have the back path heading to the hon/bar be wide open for GDI tanks to dominate as it is now. The opposing vehicle path near the medical center could have more  cover better suited for Nod. I'd even go so far as to say that I think there should be a one sided ramp starting right at the exit to the  Nod base, med center side, that has a dropoff somewhere near the middle of that area. This could serve as a legitimate aid to flame tanks & stealth tanks, allowing them to get about half way through the field without being easily targeted by GDI. Of course you might want to set this up in such a way as to avoid having a difficult to hit spot for artillery to camp. I've seen GDI win pretty much every time as well. Not sure if my experience or your 6 map experience combined is enough to say that a balance change is needed, but it's something worth discussing.

Edited by Riou Insuiko

Guest Gliven

The Economy on this map is way too high. GDI can pump out Sydneys, Gunners, and Mammoth tanks with reckless abandon, with enough room to fit them all. Blocking the path to ref only helps GDI even more. Control of the outer infantry path could help Nod in the field, but good luck hitting anything when your fps drops to sub 20 once you reach the medical centre. 

To answer the actual question put up by Ryz. I dont know if adding extra cover would even benefit Nod.

Well that could indeed be a thing I didn't consider Gliven. Maybe GDI can pop out tanks and support faster then Nod can kill (cause the money flow they can quickly replace them). 

Nevertheless it feels like this map is GDI favoured now...

7 hours ago, Riou Insuiko said:

I think it would be interesting if each vehicle path was more advantageous to one side. Maybe have the back path heading to the hon/bar be wide open for GDI tanks to dominate as it is now. The opposing vehicle path near the communication center could have more  cover better suited for Nod. I'd even go so far as to say that I think there should be a one sided ramp starting right at the exit to the  Nod base, communication center side, that has a dropoff somewhere near the middle of that area. This could serve as a legitimate aid to flame tanks & stealth tanks, allowing them to get about half way through the field without being easily targeted by GDI. Of course you might want to set this up in such a way as to avoid having a difficult to hit spot for artillery to camp. I've seen GDI win pretty much every time as well. Not sure if my experience or your 6 map experience combined is enough to say that a balance change is needed, but it's something worth discussing.

Riou You sure You are talking about Forest ?   this Map not has an Comm Center

• 3 weeks later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

Hey everyone,

first of all thank you for the feedback, it is most important for improving the map.

Since I'm back at home now, I already started working on the map. My plan is to make the map smaller and reduce the number of meshes used to improve the performance. Furthermore the Tiberium fields will be moved to the back entrances, so there will be less harvester rotations and less money. I'm also thinking about some changes to the pipeline path, which is exit only right now, but I'm not quite sure what to do with it yet. I'll probably make a plan for it after I finished moving the refinerys and tiberium fields. The ideas for the main field are also interesting and will be considered,  I don't have a detailed plan for this yet just a general idea, but both paths wont stay as they are, that's for sure. Also thought about making additional exit only tank paths to the front and back of the bases to make give the locked in team an advantage.

Anyways, many things on Forest will be changed and I hope I can rely on your feedback to improve the gameplay now and in the future.

Thanks in advance

Luhrian

• Thanks 1

• Totem Arts Staff

@Luhrian I think the map is close to being really great!

As another small piece of feeback... I think the extra character models standing around are an interesting choice, but are actually a bit confusing during gameplay.

At one point I was trying to shoot one because I thought it was the enemy 😅

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Luhrian said:

Anyways, many things on Forest will be changed and I hope I can rely on your feedback to improve the gameplay now and in the future.

I don't think the map needs drastic changes. It's in an all right state right now in my opinion.

I agree with Ryz and Riou that the vehicle area needs some more cover to help Nod. Right now it is definately advantageous to GDI (I also have never seen Nod win this). As for harvester, I think the path is fine (vehicle entrances are tight anyway, probably it's better not to force the harvy into them), but my 2 suggested changes is to decrease the harv dump credits and put the tib field closer to the pipeline exit so that infantry can shoot the enemy harvester reliably from the distance, but not c4 it (because the pipeline exit is one way only). Such design is quite rare I believe, I wonder how it would work.

And yeah, performance issues. I've heard many people complain about FPS drops.

My only suggestion would be to add stairs to the reinforced concrete barriers and arches and add some parapets to the top in each base so it allows infantry to shoot from up there down against approaching tanks similar to Tomb and Walls. Presently on this side tanks and infantry get caught up together and there's little elevation for snipers to shoot down on engineers and enemy tanks get a very narrow choke point to bombard.

• Totem Arts Staff
On 9/1/2020 at 9:16 PM, roweboat said:

As another small piece of feeback... I think the extra character models standing around are an interesting choice, but are actually a bit confusing during gameplay.

Yes noticed that too, already removed.

On 9/2/2020 at 12:30 AM, Quinc3y said:

my 2 suggested changes is to decrease the harv dump credits and put the tib field closer to the pipeline exit so that infantry can shoot the enemy harvester reliably from the distance, but not c4 it (because the pipeline exit is one way only)

I had something similar in mind at the back entrance, but your idea might be even better. Unfortunately it will be a bit complicated to build this without allowing tanks into this area, but I will do it somehow.

On 9/2/2020 at 1:19 AM, Mystic~ said:

My only suggestion would be to add stairs to the reinforced concrete barriers and arches and add some parapets to the top in each base so it allows infantry to shoot from up there down against approaching tanks similar to Tomb and Walls. Presently on this side tanks and infantry get caught up together and there's little elevation for snipers to shoot down on engineers and enemy tanks get a very narrow choke point to bombard.

Stuff like this is also planned and already partly implemented.

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

Hey everyone,

I pretty much finished the Forest rework today, here are some pictures.

Spoiler

1049321181_Screenshot(809).thumb.png.bc8864236cc7ec498038b8259c8b074c.png

623501744_Screenshot(815).thumb.png.ca88750b360e8e7461df9b2bbe4c9564.png

1303889245_Screenshot(814).thumb.png.71b9891c7a4cfd15e945820f92d57a66.png

2119859978_Screenshot(813).thumb.png.f5ede72af9ccac16ee18676982cabdc2.png

2071919902_Screenshot(812).thumb.png.6395cb1883a4209f9ef934eba07d5280.png

689129981_Screenshot(811).thumb.png.7975f87d391b37d4865aae29990d2ce7.png

2111162692_Screenshot(810).thumb.png.8003717e8042c760515cd1962d1ab653.png

This new version is more than 30 MB smaller than the current one and the number of actors has been reduced by 30%!

Hopefully all FPS problems are fixed now. Furthermore there are some new features, that will make defending much easier now, including 2 additional exit only paths at the base entrances, a turret at the back path and an Infantry only podest. Also the field layout has been changed, GDI will have a much harder time now and I hope we will see some good tank fights in the field and not just GDI Mammoths rolling over everybody. The Pipeline path is open again, but is much easier to defend than before. Also the ecenomy is much lower now, it equals the one from Field X with about 4,2 credits/second.

Since this map was a community project when I started it, I decided to give you the opportunity to take a look inside it. To avoid problems with already existing map files those files are called Forest X.

Download them here:

If you decide to take a look inside the map it would be very helpful if you report any problems you can find, just write them here or pm me on discord (Luhrian#1169).

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Totem Arts Staff

It is basicly a custom map, so you have to download it by yourself via the link I posted. You can also use the ingame downloader by just joining Try-Outs server while the map is being played. It is already online.

• Like 1