Purchase Terminal Crashes

KCRITON'

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to resurrect this thread again, but I'm not going to apologize, because ...

THE AMD FX ISSUE HAS A WORKAROUND

I like to think I'm making the internet a better place by reviving a thread related to a problem that has never and will never *really* be fixed, so, make peace with it.

Running the game from the UDK.exe binary located in the x32 folder (Local Disk > Program Files / x86 > Renegade X > Binaries > Win32 > UDK.exe) rather than using the client OR the x64 binaries (regardless of your system's architecture) actually plays nice with AMD. I have reproduced this workaround successfully on no less than three AMD systems, one of which is an FX 8520 (with which I originally (and suddenly) encountered this very issue) - the latter also just managed a quick online match to test, and three consecutive hours of bot skirmishing with zero issues.

I obviously can't guarantee this will work for everyone, but, so far I've had no hint of the same bug occurring on the x32 binary (not even the stutter in the Purchase Terminal that usually hints at an imminent crash), so unless this issue has more than one vector, reviewing discrepancies between the binaries might eventually solve the issue for good.

This was not fixed by the most recent release, as the problem persists via the launcher and x64 binary - invariably.

I sincerely hope this helps someone.

• Thanks 1

Hmmm. I only have 16GB of RAM, I haven't encountered this problem yet. Let me test that map real quick and get back to you.

Edit: I have successfully reproduced the above issue re. Desolation, and got the OoM dialogue box; it specifically states that the problem is VIDEO MEMORY, and not RAM, which is odd. I think the developers might have erroneously labeled when they made the dialogue box? x32's shortcomings lie in RAM, I think I might have a solution to this though. Let me test the fix and report back.

Edited by KaiserZandrich
Tested to reproduce mentioned known error on x32 binary.

I've been running around, but, here's everything I've done so far.

Step 1: We all know the limitations of 32-bit, one of which is RAM use and allocation. I attempted to circumvent this the only way I knew how - flagging to be Large Address Aware.

Conclusion: LAA alone did not resolve the issue.

Step 2: The logical step is to force better memory management so we can use the now-LAA configuration as best we can. I used two custom allocators (separately), but was unable to resolve the limitation issue.

Conclusion: Custom allocators showed no improvement over vanilla; I reverted to forcing system malloc for the next step.

Step 3: This step had varying outcomes, but none resolved the issue; I did not expect it to, I was simply curious to see how UE3 reacted. I switched between 4096MB and System Managed page files on both the drive this is installed to, as well as my local disk, in several combinations.

Conclusion: Step yielded no obvious change in issue, reverted to System Managed on all drives for the remainder of this experiment.

Step 4: Forcing arguments over the executable target was something of a last-ditch effort, one combination of which (with several of previous steps) managed to get me as close to a fix as I could have hoped to get, but I will discuss that in my final conclusion. -malloc=system was an obvious choice after the trial and error of Step 2, and was used constantly. Since the dialogue box (which I still suspect was mistaken) referred SPECIFICALLY to VIDEO MEMORY, rather than virtual memory or simply memory, I gave the force v-ram argument a shot. I started off with the obvious maximum (I have) and worked my way down -512MB an iteration. It didn't achieve anything, so I tested a few iterations along with various -maxMem=0000 arguments, usually not above the 4096MB we know we can work with; this achieved nothing, too.

Conclusion: I didn't expect these arguments to do anything, really, but giving it a shot didn't feel like time wasted.

Step 5: UE3 is very obsolete, this includes its entire architecture, obviously. I hoped that LAA alone would circumvent this - so for this step, I performed a bunch of simple compatibility troubleshooting in different combinations with all the above steps, including the arguments - I moved down to 8, 7, Vista (+ Service Packs), XP (+ Service Packs), and stopped there.

Conclusion: I wasn't getting any changes in the outcome, even in combinations with prior steps, so I abandoned this.

Final Conclusion: None of these, either alone or in combination with one another, changed the outcome of loading Desolation - although every other map/game mode tested had no issues. As Step 1 (LAA) did not resolve the issue, I believe that memory is not an issue, but instead, conclude that Desolation is too ambitious for the limitations of a 32-bit space, including its hardware limitations, and nothing more. This is probably a consequence of UE3's terrible allocation, as native memory management in the engine has a reputation for being a nightmare, requiring levels, variables and functions to be assessed in the context of the level itself to stay below the memory budget - this becomes disproportionately complex as levels contain more assets, variables, etc., but the developers know this, as they've been dealing with it for a long time.

As it stands, I don't believe there is a sure solution beyond optimizing Desolation for a 32-bit space, which would be a laborious undertaking.

How I concluded this was by setting controlled restrictions to mirror the exact, absolute limitations of 32-bit hardware (on my 64-bit system) - this achieved an outcome which did not result in the dialogue box- and crash we usually see on the second splash image, about 1/3 into the progress bar at the bottom. Instead, loading proceeded beyond this, through all splash screens, and crashed (without the "Out of video memory!" dialogue box appearing) on the final splash image, when we expect the game to be loaded and open the level as usual.

I doubt any of this will result in something tangible being achieved, but, I felt I was responsible to report back on it, as I DID CLAIM x32 was a feasible workaround.

As for the artifacting and bugs mentioned; I have not encountered any during this quick testing and troubleshooting sprint, but, if I do come across any, I'll be sure to report on that. For the time being, running the 32-bit binary has very few shortcomings, considering the alternative is not playing Renegade-X at all. The only real problem beyond Desolation (and the mentioned bugs) would be running the 32-bit binary on a VERY slow 64-bit system, but considering the average hardware these days, I don't think anyone should notice any performance loss at all.

• 8 months later...

Well, since i have an FX 6300 and the game just gives up whenever i try to use the purchase terminal it seems like i will just have to uninstall the game and forget it ever existed...

damn shame since im a long time fan of command and conquer games and i was really looking forward to be playing Renegade X.

• Totem Arts Staff
13 hours ago, Mammoth Tank said:

Well, since i have an FX 6300 and the game just gives up whenever i try to use the purchase terminal it seems like i will just have to uninstall the game and forget it ever existed...

damn shame since im a long time fan of command and conquer games and i was really looking forward to be playing Renegade X.

don't give up hope, @TheOlsenTwins is correct. In settings you can select "Disable PT scene" and that should fix the problem.

As i may have stated in this thread awhile ago, I used to have an FX chip and i feel your pain.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've got an AMD Fx  (AMD FX-8370 Eight-Core Processor   4.01 GHz) with 32 gig DDR , GE Force GTX 1060,  but never had a problem and have been running this game for awhile . Haven't play for a few weeks but when I did , I started getting freeze ups . Some time right away and sometimes after a few minutes.
 In the log I get this error. But  15 or 16 lines of it.

[0114.86] DevPhysics: Error (1) in file ..\..\Physics\src\NpActor.cpp, line 248: Actor::setAngularDamping: Actor must be dynamic!
[0114.86] DevPhysics: Error (1) in file ..\..\Physics\src\NpActor.cpp, line 227: Actor::setLinearDamping: Actor must be dynamic!

I can run in win7 compatible mode 32bit but it looks like hell

• Totem Arts Staff
On 8/21/2021 at 8:50 PM, stv911 said:

I've got an AMD Fx  (AMD FX-8370 Eight-Core Processor   4.01 GHz) with 32 gig DDR , GE Force GTX 1060,  but never had a problem and have been running this game for awhile . Haven't play for a few weeks but when I did , I started getting freeze ups . Some time right away and sometimes after a few minutes.
 In the log I get this error. But  15 or 16 lines of it.

[0114.86] DevPhysics: Error (1) in file ..\..\Physics\src\NpActor.cpp, line 248: Actor::setAngularDamping: Actor must be dynamic!
[0114.86] DevPhysics: Error (1) in file ..\..\Physics\src\NpActor.cpp, line 227: Actor::setLinearDamping: Actor must be dynamic!

I can run in win7 compatible mode 32bit but it looks like hell

Those logs are ordinary and wouldn't cause crashes or slowdowns.

• Totem Arts Staff
4 hours ago, stv911 said:

What should I look for in logs to figure out what causes the freezes?
thnx

80% of the time it won't log if it's crashing, as the crash can make the log buffer never get written. If you're crashing on PT, try turning off the "PT scene" in the game settings. I think it's under interface.

4 hours ago, NodSaibot said:

80% of the time it won't log if it's crashing, as the crash can make the log buffer never get written. If you're crashing on PT, try turning off the "PT scene" in the game settings. I think it's under interface.

PT is off.. I've play this game for months with out a problem then the freezes started ??

Thnx for the reply