Applying After Installation. Unbelievably slow.

Neeny23

Hey there. Brand new here and Trying to install and play this rather cool looking game from the basics of what I've seen.

So after a unbelievably long download from the launcher i finally made it to the applying stage and guess what... It's even slower. My internet connection and such is great but i didn't mind waiting because it's not like I'm downloading from somewhere like Steam, ect.

But installing and applying itself? Why is it only going 0.01% every couple of minutes. It's been nearly 20+ mins and it's not even reached 1% yet.

I'd appreciate the help and input why everything is taking a ungodly amount of time. It's putting me off even playing the game if it's gonna take days to install.

thanks.

15937885117167706939943599394749.jpg

I am running into some very adnormally slow DL speeds as well.

My ISP itself supports 200MB DL, 6MB upload.

At first it was ok, 10MB to 20MB DL speeds.  Then it starts fluctuating a lot and I start seeing speeds as low as 400KB.  Now I am seeing DL speeds as low as 40KB or even just %KB and I am like, "what in the H311 is throttling this so badly that I am seeing early 2000, infancy of broadband speeds?"

If the Devs are making the Gameplay servers share hardware with the file servers, then that would explain a lot and someone needs to tell them that the industry has changed since trhe early 2000's, you don't share server hardware and direct internet connection between the game servers and the file servers any more, it leads to massive packet loss and easy data corruption, when the file server is sharing hardware and internet line with the gameplay servers.  MMO's learned that before 2010 and that idea became an industry standard for all games afterwards, simply because of the sheer stability difference made it worth for all companies both big and small.

Edited by MonoMolecularCutter

From my own experience that installing progress as the worse part, but that's because I've a lot of background stuff being used, that makes the HDD itself slow. 

But from my best friend's experience, himself trying to install the game recently Download (even having a very pretty fast, downloading GTA 5 in 2 hours-ish) while this took around 4-5 and the invisible progress bar. That took another 5-6 hours, but it crashed, due to the lack of  UE3 Redistributable not being installed or failed to without a warning. After trying a second time, 1 hour-ish it got it installed. 

Note: He always had problems (even in the past) Downloading and Installing the game. He was like but I went from 7MBs top to 0 In 10mins

106424563_2345555412417542_2316719268388556016_n.png?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=QGqyj9WZp58AX-bKw3o&_nc_ht=scontent.flis6-1.fna&oh=51c44f50bd10b81d1d434c3442014262&oe=5F26B094

106400290_714929869345782_1721430778122168253_n.png?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=kK200UJNa4wAX9NFP55&_nc_ht=scontent.flis6-1.fna&oh=610515ccbf07e32f1c01131b0eae9bc3&oe=5F2573F3

But even in this state it kept downloading. And the Installation the same.

The fact that this is happening at all leaves a lot of questions to be asked.  Most game companies figured out how to prevent this problem a long time ago that solutions to it became industry standard, even when your in Alpha and Beta Builds.

So what gives?  We shouldn't be seeing early 2000's, infancy of broadband speeds and unreliability.

It was one thing for the Original C&C Renegade to come out in the early 2000's and have to fight with such slow speeds and unreliability DL and installations, but that was way back when most people still only had Dialup on a single core processor, years before the first dual core, before anyone ever saw 2GHz.  Most of us here are going to have at least a Quad core, at or past 3GHz with a broadband connection of 5MBs to 200MB DL speeds.

I a sorry for the hard ragging, but we really shouldn't be seeing such slow DL and install speeds for this.  The baseline hardware everyone uses now for both computer and internet is roughly 50 to 100 times better then what we had for gaming machines in early 2000's.

Edited by MonoMolecularCutter

Up until recently there were not many occasions where this failed.

There are a few things to take into consideration:

1. Delivering the game to users is not cheap. There are quite a few different mirrors we use to deliver content to you, including a globally positioned CDN. CDNs are not cheap to use when you consider we are currently going through about 50+TB a month, and we don't make any money from the development of this game, so we are self funding this.
  2. Install speeds - there are numerous possibilities as to why installation may be slow, are you using a HDD? Is there other IO operations going on with the drive you are installing on?
  3. Recently windows has had updates which has caused UE3Redist to not install correctly, whereas before this was not a concern.
  4. The launcher is quite an old piece of software, which is currently in the process of being massively overhauled, which will help with improving the installation and downloading experience.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Fffreak9999 said:

Up until recently there were not many occasions where this failed.

There are a few things to take into consideration:

1. Delivering the game to users is not cheap. There are quite a few different mirrors we use to deliver content to you, including a globally positioned CDN. CDNs are not cheap to use when you consider we are currently going through about 50+TB a month, and we don't make any money from the development of this game, so we are self funding this.
  2. Install speeds - there are numerous possibilities as to why installation may be slow, are you using a HDD? Is there other IO operations going on with the drive you are installing on?
  3. Recently windows has had updates which has caused UE3Redist to not install correctly, whereas before this was not a concern.
  4. The launcher is quite an old piece of software, which is currently in the process of being massively overhauled, which will help with improving the installation and downloading experience.

Sadly that's the true factor of this entire, project, any thing that requires any investment needs to come from the team. Relative to the problem I projected from my friend, nothing against the team or the launcher @Fffreak9999 Projecting the experience. And I know it's hard to maintain a lot of these things as a non-profit team. 

And correct me something if I'm not Freak, did this flow of new people (unexpected) didn't help to the problems with the windows either, did it?

@MonoMolecularCutter Unlike totem arts, the company you're referring to, have a budge for the entire project, including this as the CDNs, (Content delivery networks). 

• Totem Arts Staff

An influx of lots of new players and people trying to download the game, might have put alot of stress somewhere. I would keep trying see if the problem keeps happening.

I've certainty had alot of issues with bugs and such, but haven't seen this happen myself.

I installed the game many times and I noticed there are more then 1 server, IDK anymore which one from witch country was the slow one and the fast one but breaking up the install and starting it over to let it choose a other server worked allways for me.

And about applying doing it with a HDD was extremly slow it took hours for me, with a SSD its way faster it takes about 10/20 mins.

We have numerous mirrors across the world which you can download the game patch files from which include mirrors donated by Totem Arts Members.

• Las Vegas
  • France
  • Helsinki
  • New Jersey

Plus we utilise a CDN which provides over 40 locations in the world to download from, although most of the traffic is routed through a smaller number of their locations (in order of actual download bandwidth used)

• Frankfurt
  • Chicago
  • Los Angeles
  • Paris
  • Miami

As for applying, this is an IO intensive operation and a HDD will do this far slower than any recent SSD.

I ended up doing the "Stop Download" and restarting later for the DL to finish quickly.

I personally didn't have applying problems, but since I saw others having it, I included the issue in my first post, since others had it and was afread that I was going to suffer the same thing, since I was posting the first post as I was DLing and seeing the problem of highly fluctuating and massively dropping DL speeds.  I use SSD's connected by SATA.

• Like 1