DevTalk #1: Building a Tiberian Sun FPS

Havoc89

Was going to ask if we were going to see Jugger-nawts and Scramshees but thankfully this question has been answered. Whole thing looks dope, can't wait til the Fall that's for sure. 

• Like 1

Honestly I really like the art direction, it feels much more grounded than how the classic TS was(despite my love for it's style). The new mechs especially look fantastic, they feel more Star Wars-y than even the originals(the Wolverine is giving me major AT-RT vibes). Really excited for this, and thanks for this breakdown of the process of getting this project running, and some of what we can expect when it finally drops.

• Like 3

It looks great, I've watched this commentary twice now, you couldn't see much in the teaser, but maybe this was what you already had in mind from the start. It looks like there's so many vehicles to choose from and there seems like there's so much more weapons variety to the combat.

I don't know whether we're allowed to ask questions and get answers about the game at this point or not? Do Nod have a long distance artillery unit? I couldn't see one in the video. Do GDI get an amphibious APC to cross lakes and water? If yes, does this mean Nod gets something like the Reckoner or sub-subterranean APC? I see GDI have the jump-jets, do Nod get anything similar or are they meant to dig under the ground more? And what about the Tiberian Sun era bikes? :)

Minor criticism is that the Wolverine looks like it's doing squat jogs and needs to stand up properly. 🤣

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

You can ask all the questions you want, we won't guarantee to answer them :) 

1 hour ago, Mystic~ said:

Do Nod have a long distance artillery unit?

In our testing phase, we had Nod with artillery.

Do GDI get an amphibious APC to cross lakes and water? If yes, does this mean Nod gets something like the Reckoner or sub-subterranean APC?

As above, we had the A.APC and S.APC as well 

I see GDI have the jump-jets, do Nod get anything similar

Nod had units with different powers, Jump Jets were limited to GDI units.

FYI: All the above is based on the Alpha footage you saw, and is subject to change at any point and without warning.

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

We haven't decided on a launch map total yet, but I would expect at least 5+ to ensure enough turn up in rotation. 

We have people who do mapping who are determining a design direction we want to head towards with Firestorm based maps, so not many have been made, but you have already seen in Alpha footage the scale of some of these maps.

• Like 1

Thanks for the answers Fffreak, so given that it's called Firestorm, will there be any firestorm wall defences for limiting attacks by Banshee? If there are subterranean unis, will GDI also get the option to build a mobile sensor tower? Is the Nod commando character Nod's answer to the Mammoth Tank MK II?

"Time will tell."

This whole thing is so cool and exciting.  I have faith the developers will polish and straighten everything out in due time.  I think this add-on will be significant in showcasing this style of team gameplay.

Just for fun, if we're putting the cart before the horse, and making requests, how about maps with a Mutant Forgotten faction, similar to Nod vs BH?  The mutant infantry would be so badass, rolling deep in armoured yellow buses and ambushing cavalry with tricked-out construction and farm vehicles.

What about the GDI medic?  Can she be modeled after Dr. Boudreau?  What about Nod?  Can they get a Black Hand Confessor unit modeled after young Marcion?  Just fun ideas.

Hope vehicles from the future crates give Tiberium wars/kanes wrath vehicles in firestorm.

That aside, its looking really good so far. Though to be honest I was expecting you guys to upgrade to UE4 or UE5 for Ren-X firestorm.

Edited by MBT808
  • Downvote 1

Hope vehicles from the future crates give Tiberium wars/kanes wrath vehicles in firestorm.

I'm going to hope you will be able to get a Seeker tank or Devourer tank as a 'weapons from the future' crate similar to the Hover MRLS, Wolverine and Titan in Ren-X Vanilla.

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

The servers will be capable of hosting both standard Renegade X maps and Firestorm maps within the same rotation.

Kind of how you currently get Nod vs Black Hand maps and GDI vs Nod maps in the same rotation.

There will be options to host just one content type, but the existing plan is to by default have all allowed maps into the rotation, meaning you will see CNC-Islands and TS-Sandbox (the map you see in the alpha footage in the dev talk) (although this map will be unlikely to be available, since it’s a test map mostly) or other firestorm maps at the voting for map screen.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mystic~ said:

I'm going to hope you will be able to get a Seeker tank or Devourer tank as a 'weapons from the future' crate similar to the Hover MRLS, Wolverine and Titan in Ren-X Vanilla.

That would be cool, Avatar and the Mammoth MK.III would be cool as well.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Fffreak9999 said:

Please remember that this is a focus on Tib Sun, while we aren't going to rule anything out, the chances of this occuring 

is very unlikely.

understandable, but one can hope. The future is hard to know, unless your kane himself.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, MBT808 said:

That would be cool, Avatar and the Mammoth MK.III would be cool as well.

In Firestorm, they certainly will not appear. And if there ever will be content on Tiberium Wars, then certainly not soon. And definitely not on the SDK. In general, Tiberium Wars, although very slightly, but slightly expands the surrounding LORe games, which made the universe livelier.

39 minutes ago, DenWellingston said:

In Firestorm, they certainly will not appear. And if there ever will be content on Tiberium Wars, then certainly not soon. And definitely not on the SDK. In general, Tiberium Wars, although very slightly, but slightly expands the surrounding LORe games, which made the universe livelier.

The vehicles are in the context of the weapons from the future crates, similar to how tiberian sun vehicles appeared in tiberium dawn renegade-X.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 12:25 PM, DarkRavenBest said:

I hope in firestorm update gunplay and netcode will be fixed, cuz most of the weapons feels like a nerfguns and close combat feels like dance to death praying to luck. 

I think they mention that point in the dev talk, the gunplay is  A BIG IMPROVEMENT from RenX, with weapons having a "feel" to them and actually packing a punch (in addition there's a combat roll now, DO A BARREL ROLL)

This looks very good! After C&C Reborn's actual throwback, Im glad the Renegade X team is all in for a TS-Version, which will be combined with the Renegade X servers. Especially the more realisitc approach (quicker time to kill) and the tweaks for some TS units to be more useful (like the wolverine) is appealing to me.

Some notes:

the GDI ranger class has jet packs. A jet pack + Sniper rifle seems a bit overpowered to me. They can reach every hill easily and if someone tries to get them they can easily escape to another distant location and snipe them from there. Dont let this class be annoying to fight against. I can see potential for a jump jet for the field medic class with its close quarter weapon, for some skillful hit n run tactics.

I would appreciate, if the mobile stealth generator is going to be implemented at launch, as this was a very useful and dynamic tactical device on the field in C&C Reborn, which made the mobile sensor array for GDI totally worth it.

Please give a amphibious APC a coaxial gun

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Timeaua said:

I would appreciate, if the mobile stealth generator is going to be implemented at launch, as this was a very useful and dynamic tactical device on the field in C&C Reborn, which made the mobile sensor array for GDI totally worth it.

Yes there should be a portable Lazarus device for $$$$ or crated that makes the holder stealth or you can stick it to a vehicle to turn it stealth.

The vehicles are in the context of the weapons from the future crates, similar to how tiberian sun vehicles appeared in tiberium dawn renegade-X.

The above ^ !

Yes there should be a portable Lazarus device for $$$$ or crated that makes the holder stealth or you can stick it to a vehicle to turn it stealth.

If GDI get the mobile array as shown in that teaser screen shot then maybe Nod should get the stealth generator shown here.

• Like 1

I think there was a tank stealth generators in the Firestorm expansion pack, so it would be a valid unit for this also, it's in the 'here' video I linked above as one of the old FMV cut scenes. It might enable some interesting cloaking strategies or tactics, particularly if the skies are full or orcas and orca-bombers or the ground is saturated by juggernaut spam.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marinealver said:

So another question is how would the Mammoth Tank Mk2 be treated. I think it would be best as a Moving Building that has more firepower than an Advanced Guard Tower that you just move to the other base.

I like how that sounds! MammothMKII approves

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

We are in the process of planning another DevTalk (scheduling and recording timeframes have got to line up for people) along with gathering all that footage you guys want.

I would expect it to come out within a couple of weeks but it is going to be subject to our availability and development progress

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

When I saw Tiberium Sun, I was reminded of that old dead mod for Generals that added in something I have been wishing for for my whole life: PvEvP. You have GDI and Nod, but there's also tiberium monstery things that grow and appear and lash out as tiberium spreads across the map.

I doubt that sort of thing was even considered of course, but oh well. Maybe someday it'll happen. XD

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I Darkstar X said:

When I saw Tiberium Sun, I was reminded of that old dead mod for Generals that added in something I have been wishing for for my whole life: PvEvP. You have GDI and Nod, but there's also tiberium monstery things that grow and appear and lash out as tiberium spreads across the map.

I doubt that sort of thing was even considered of course, but oh well. Maybe someday it'll happen. XD

that indeed a great idea but instead of it just being they spawn overtime or what not there created from tiberian weapons or deads in tib fields.

like how 1 of the old renegade campaign was kill someone with tiberian,tiberian fields they turn into a visceroid sometimes.

making tiberian weapons a risk to use for high damage+giving nod some bonuses considering there tiberian based faction like experimental mendoza if he dies by tiberian damage he hase a small % to mutate on death into a mutant making him immuun+heal from radiation weapon attacks.

for non experimental characters they will turn in weak to stron visceroids attacking everything whenever they morph on dead in them

11 hours ago, slashes said:

that indeed a great idea but instead of it just being they spawn overtime or what not there created from tiberian weapons or deads in tib fields.

like how 1 of the old renegade campaign was kill someone with tiberian,tiberian fields they turn into a visceroid sometimes.

making tiberian weapons a risk to use for high damage+giving nod some bonuses considering there tiberian based faction like experimental mendoza if he dies by tiberian damage he hase a small % to mutate on death into a mutant making him immuun+heal from radiation weapon attacks.

for non experimental characters they will turn in weak to stron visceroids attacking everything whenever they morph on dead in them

That could be a mechanic, but I do not think that (if this was ever going to be considered, which I doubt) relying totally on Tiberium based deaths would be the answer.

I suggest that it would be a very gradual process, that becomes stronger over time with more enemies and more advanced ones as well. Basically a way to break sieges and counteract snowballing by having an outside influence. I do imagine that you are able to shut down the Tiberium stuff, perhaps by destroying a giant crystal that is hidden somewhere in the AI “base”. Or destroy all of those tree things that spawn to stop their growth.